Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo
- - - - -

Xbox Kinect to ghost hunt ? Ghost adventures did !

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 erna_butter

erna_butter

weird ancient from the medieval times

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Art (any kind), computers, paranormal, forensics, psychology, and of course fantasy books, and history.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

Howdy All !!!!!

It`s been awhile since I`ve been around, and I`m hoping everyone is doing well :)

I got a question for you, I was told in passing by my friends sister, that on an episode of one of my favorite shows ( Ghost adventures ), they used an Xbox Kinect to capture a spirit on screen.
I was curious if it`s possible, seeing as how the only time I`ve ever used one, was for video games, and it didn`t catch me all that well. I am assuming though, since I havn`t watched the episode yet, thatthey attached it to a laptop or computer and not the Xbox itself lol.
The episode in question through my googling the subject is titled * Cripple Creek*

I hope to hear your thoughts and ideas...on whether it would work or not... and if you had personal stories to share on the subject as well :)

Thanks for the read :P

PS. wasn`t sure if it should be posted here or not, but given it`s something that happened on the show... I thought I was in the right place to put it .
Posted Image I A.M CANADIAN

#2 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

Welcome back, Erna! It's nice to see you after so long.

I am moving this to the Equipment board, as this is more about using an Xbox as equipment than it is about discussing a show. It'll get more attention in Equipment.
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#3 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:51 AM

These methods are used by amateurs who just want something to do on a Saturday night. TV promotes it because marketing loves the idea of tying in a product off the shelf with the show. Sells a few Kinects that way!

But for serious investigations one must use a device intended for the use it was designed for. It's like using a cell phone camera / recorder. It might work, sometimes, but the odds of getting a false positive far out weigh the odds of getting valid data. So if you want a camera, use a good camera. If you want to record EVP, use a good audio recorder. And leave the Kinect / X Box home to play games on it. You will get less data that way, but what you do get stands a much better chance of being something worth looking at.

#4 White Witch

White Witch

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:Spirits, Photography, Paranormal Programs, Old Homes and Cottage Life

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:48 AM

I agree
Right this way to my haunted space.

#5 erna_butter

erna_butter

weird ancient from the medieval times

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Art (any kind), computers, paranormal, forensics, psychology, and of course fantasy books, and history.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

Thanks Red head :) I still poke around the forums from time to time.. making sure everyone is doing well :)

Caverat, I never thought of it that way, that is a pretty good view on the whole thing.

Hope you all are doing well.
Posted Image I A.M CANADIAN

#6 CalebHu90

CalebHu90

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Spirits, Demons, Undead legends and myths, monster legends, computers, science, guitar playing, aviation, and games

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

For the add, they weren't using an Xbox Kinect, but was using a custom software that utilizes motion sensors and there's no way that it could be used as Xbox marketing when they never even mention Xbox or Xbox Kinect, they claim it as their engineer's custom software that he developed, and I feel it's a good idea to experiment with different devices in investigation to get evidence through a broad variety of research not to mention when one device may fail to capture for certain pieces of evidence another may succeed and via verse. 

#7 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:01 PM

The same applies to all "new" methods someone proposes.....  Test them against known science.  Of course a new application may be untested at first but it doesn't take much to start the evaluation process.  To begin, does it build on something we already know?  Most science does, it takes something common and uses it in a different way.  Second does this "different way" make sense?  Is it explainable?  Science works on the basis of proving theories, so even a new method should be accompanied by a theory, that is someone explaining how it works, or should work.  Read the theory behind it, if it makes no sense or requires a lot of mumbo jumbo, discard it.  On the other hand if it makes sense and could actually work then go on.  Test the theory.  In the end it may fall apart, but it also may just move things forward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users