Ghost Roads

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

That is really too bad that they have done something like that. I may be wrong but to me, reading through some posts, it sounds like people aren't believing in "ghosts".

I don't think that the belief in ghosts is not there, it just the heresay factor is just taken for fact. That, and the thrill factor is usually the driving force behind the continued interest in these stretches of roads.

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#17 allege

allege

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

One of the roads, I mentioned was investigated, well a series of houses and areas along the road were. But it isn't a traditional "ghost road" because the spirits there haunt the road and houses equally. (No I do not have access to any of the evidence they collected)
The other road I mentioned would be very hard to investigate. A group of us have tried finding correlation in the times, areas, etc where the phantom car is seen but there doesn't appear to be any pattern. We have started attempting to narrow down people killed on the road who were in the type of vehicle that the phantom car is.

Setting stories straight would be great! But evidence is the main factor of course...
Just like in the stories of some of the "haunted" locations I have been to. OMG, you wouldn't believe what I actually hear and see! Even the wrong name of who is the spirit in question! Stupid stories and the TV shows carry on with them. I love when they are calling out the names of the spirit and it's wrong!!!

Anyway, stories and tales of things just never seem to get backed up with real evidence, be it photos, evp, video, history and even a read of the area. All of these things would make for "real" stories if they were true. Now if the tourist attraction part would stop, maybe some of this could really get done.
(sorry for the ramble)

I hate how the paranormal has became a 'tourist trap'. I love visiting Gettysburg, but you can't enjoy the city in the evening for all of the "ghost tours" I love the Sach's bridge area, every time we are in Gettysburg we visit Sach's bridge. Last summer we were there at dusk and there was so many wannabe ghost hunters there that they were falling all over each other. I was sitting quietly on the bridge taking pictures of the water at dusk and one ghost hunter started freaking out thinking I was a ghost. Another was convinced they were smelling ghostly smoke on the bridge, completely ignoring all of the people smoking at the enterence of the bridge!

As for people getting names and facts wrong, sometimes real events, or actual hauntings get changed over time. At a local university in the 70's a girl killed herself. She jumped from the roof of the building and landed on the awning on the 1st floor. She haunts this building. I have seen her and experienced this haunting several time over the years. If you ask any student on campus they will tell you all about this, and they will tell you her name is Penelope. Her name in't Penelope, her name according the news clippings about her death is Dottie.
Never to suffer would never to have been blessed. -Edgar Allan Poe

#18 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:28 PM

That is really too bad that they have done something like that. I may be wrong but to me, reading through some posts, it sounds like people aren't believing in "ghosts".

It is not a matter of believing in ghosts. In reality 95% of "ghosts" are very explainable events that some simply want to believe are paranormal. But that does still leave the 5% that aren't readily explained. What this means is that ghost roads probably are just like every other paranormal claim. Most aren't anything besides optical illusions and wishful thinking. But at the same tiem there are likey a few out there that go beyond common logic. It's up to a critical investigator to make that determination based on any data he obtains at each site.

#19 TheresaRHPS

TheresaRHPS

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

This popped up on my Facebook news feed this morning. It's a little dated (2009), but there are some interesting roads listed:

Listverse's 10 Roads That Will Scare You Stupid

And, here's a more recent update from 2011, lol:

Listverse's 10 MORE Roads That Will Scare You Stupid

The number one roads for both lists are two different locations in New Jersey; that's kinda weird.
Huntington Paranormal Investigations and ResearchCheck out my website

#20 allege

allege

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:34 PM

This popped up on my Facebook news feed this morning. It's a little dated (2009), but there are some interesting roads listed:

Listverse's 10 Roads That Will Scare You Stupid

And, here's a more recent update from 2011, lol:

Listverse's 10 MORE Roads That Will Scare You Stupid

The number one roads for both lists are two different locations in New Jersey; that's kinda weird.

Those two roads, Clinton road and Shades of Death are only an hour apart. shades of Death runs beside Ghost lake. Funny enough Clinton road also runs beside a body of water, Clinton reservoir.
Never to suffer would never to have been blessed. -Edgar Allan Poe

#21 GloryDays

GloryDays

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything. Open to suggestions. Reading, paranormal, supernatural, occult, collecting, art, painting, fast cars, classic automobiles, big dogs, good morning coffee, someone to talk with....

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:07 AM

Most "interesting", which isn't to say or imply it is "haunted" but it is the location where back in September, 1956, the young and promising actor, James Dean died of a broken neck as the result of a head on collision with another automobile. Dean's passenger was thrown from the Porsche Spyder, suffered serious injuries but survived. The driver of the other automobile, suffered only minor scratches and was shortly released from the local hospital. The various parts from Dean's car that were useable were purchased by various people that seemed to having racing as the only thing in common to connect them. what, however, was that parts from Dean's car, was noted in wrecks where the parts were used in various cars, When it was placed on tour, uncanny accidents seemed to accompanied or were directly involved in it being exhibited. Form 1956 until 1070, parts from that car were purchased and were involved in various accidents.  In 1970, iy was being returned to California by the California Highway Patrol a part of a "Safety Exhibition".It was created and placed on  a truck for its trip back west. Somewhere along that long drive, back to California, the crate and its contents simply vanished. Locals one can go the location of the fatal accident and if one is vey 'lucky", there will ne seen  the headlights of two cars approaching each other, one slow, after making a turn onto the main road , the other  "appeared to be driving much too fast". The headlights will suddenly go out , followed by the sounds of screeching brakes and tires, then  the sounds resembling what one might  expect to, hear of two cars running into each especially one or both automobile  Is has been suggested that he spot of the accident, absorbed the energy that was suddendly released.

"Of course I can see ghosts. I can see you can't I?"

#22 Ravus Aranea

Ravus Aranea

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:All things paranormal.All religious beliefs and practices. Superstitions.Collecting books. Writing.Creating with my hands, what my mind's eye imagines.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

We have a couple of "Ghost roads" in my area in Va. One road is named "In the Pines" and yes there is an actual state sign with that name on it. According to rumor...an old woman who was considered a witch was hanged off a bridge there, Then her body and house was set on fire. My children investigated along with a few of the other young local kids....cause what else is as exciting to a young group of teens....naturally they came home wide eyed and all out of breath about what went on.....supposedly the car had major problems ...would'nt start...lights went off as they drove away....handprints on the rear glass.......years later my youngest daughter(now grown up) convinced me to go there and have a go....I had my doubts about anything happening or having any reaction to the place.....I had serious doubts that the bridge in question would even be high enough to sustain the story of a hanging.....The bridge was indeed pretty high and could have been used. It was obvious that a small house had at one time been present........but nothing really happened and the only vibe I got was of some lonely sad female energy...nothing horrible....but it was interesting.....mostly because so many other people had left writings and prayers ...even candles....for the woman who supposedly was murdered there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users