5 replies to this topic

#1 soulrunner

soulrunner

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:gardening is my hobby and one of my jobs

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:03 AM

Last Saturday evening (about 5pm 25th Jan) we had a very big but short lived storm, during that time our front door bell rang and continued to ring. Thinking that perhaps someone we knew had come round and wanted quick shelter I went to the door to let them in. When I opened the door in the half light there was nobody there but the bell was still ringing. It was very creepy expecting to see someone standing there and to be faced with nothing except a ringing door bell. I think what had happened was that the wind had gotten so strong that it had pressed the bell in causing it to ring. I touched it and it stopped. Has anybody else had things like this happen?

#2 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

A practical solution would that the wind did get some moisture between the contacts in the button and then as it huffed and puffed, made the connection and caused the bell to activate. On the flip side, we have had our bell go off a time or two. We have the original bell that needs winding like a clock. But once in a while, somebody wants our attention and gives the bell a go.

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#3 White Witch

White Witch

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Interests:Spirits, Photography, Paranormal Programs, Old Homes and Cottage Life

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:37 AM

I haven't and don't think I would want that. I think too that is was moisture in the bell.
Right this way to my haunted space.

#4 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

My opinion is also moisture in the switch contacts.
CaveRat......
Visit my website

#5 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:45 AM

Ours wasn't the doorbell that was acting up. It was the burglar alarm. A couple of times it has gone off at night and it creates quite a bit of excitement. The house was checked and there's no sign of burglars or of anyone trying to break in. Eventually, we found out that what was triggering the alarm was this large houseplant nearby. When the air from the electric fan touches the leaves it creates a movement that triggers the motion sensor of the alarm.

#6 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

Keep in mind regarding motion sensors that they can be activated by changes in air density as well. Even a column of warm air coming off a radiator or register can be enough to activate them. Placement is critical when installing motion sensors for that reason.
CaveRat......
Visit my website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users