Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

Myspace, Ghostvillage, Facebook ect. now what?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:51 AM

I haven't been on Myspace in forever...I'm sure most of us hold that as a memory...as do I. I went on there this evening to visit loved ones that aren't there. Just photos from 2007 and nothing more. I look at profiles here on Ghostvillage of members that were loved more then anything and viewed as family more then the people living in ones house...it just break my heart to see people up and leave a site as if it means nothing to anybody. There is no goodbye no hey...meet up with me on this new "fad site"..nothing. I don't know about you but for me it hurts. I was super shy growing up and Ghostvillage brought me out of my shell 10 years ago along with the help of great friends/family such as Moonchild, Lulaboo, Hopitt, Willow..ect. You know who is left...Moonchild and myself. Brothers til the end. Looking at members/ friends on G.V./ Myspace/ Facebook....it just looks like I'm looking at a graveyard. I get so depressed looking at times but I can't stop myself from looking. I check to see if there is a heartbeat but I get nothing in return. No pulse...no new life. I personally can't walk away. I can't just delete my Myspace because that was the last time Lulaboo was alive via the internet to me...I can't let that go. I can't walk away from this site because this is where I was born. This is where family is. For any of you that are still here from the last 10 tens should understand. For you new members...I say post and share or get out of my house.

Edited by kats_god, 03 February 2014 - 08:39 AM.

Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:30 AM

I still have dear MySpace memories, though i deleted my original profile, I have created a new one, but done nothing with it.

With regards to FB, though I spent time like a Zombie over there, I am not at all comfortable, nor happy about the site.

And GV, is my internet home, though I do not spend as much time here as I used to, I am definitely seeing a new life here, I hope it all falls in place.

Moonchild and myself. Brothers til the end.

Definitely yes, we are. Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 soulrunner

soulrunner

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:gardening is my hobby and one of my jobs

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:46 AM

This is a very hard post to reply to.
Firstly I never went to MySpace and I am not on Facebook either. I understand how you look for members that are no longer on a site even though their profiles are, and that perhaps is a generational thing. When I was growing up there was no internet and at times friends were hard to find. Of course when you do find them it can be hard when they leave. But as I have grown older (I am 46yrs old) I have understood that friends come, and friends go, but always there are the precious few, they are the ones to hold on to. It is always good to remember old friends and the good times that you had with them but life and people change. Some get married, some die, some move away, others just disappear. It is the way of things. As for posting on the site I am sure many people would post more, it is just that the supernatural does not tend to happen everyday. All I could offer in advice is that with 7 billion people on the planet, some of the best friends you will ever have are out there just waiting to meet you. Today is a new day with boundless opportunity and who knows who you will meet and what will happen, but always remember... you are amazing :-)

#4 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:25 AM

I'm still a daily FB user, because I live in France, my father lives in the US, and I have many friends in the US, UK and France. It's a great way to keep in touch with them.

At GV, it's been so slow. I hope things are picking up as Moonie says.
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#5 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:56 AM

There are many sights that dot the Internet like ghost towns, abandoned for most part. The number of sites for paranormal groups that lay moldering away are even greater. It seems like they ignored the winds of change. Even the well funded ghosty reality shows are finding it hard to keep viewers unless they indulge in silliness.

If this site cannot even count on the participation of the moderators, GV will eventually suffer the same fate. Change is needed, as the old format and style is pretty much saturated and exhausted. This is not a slam, I enjoy stopping by and posting. But the writing is on the wall and we need to wake up.

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#6 saralove_23

saralove_23

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

Not that I ever really participated in discussions a whole lot back then, nor really had any of you as myspace friends, but I was always more of a lurker. I stopped coming here for a couple of years. I was shocked when I did start coming back to see that the place was pretty much dead. It used to be a lot more active and I wondered what happened. It's sad I used to love reading the stories people would share. So many interesting discussions and photos. It was really fun. People need to post more.

#7 White Witch

White Witch

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Interests:Spirits, Photography, Paranormal Programs, Old Homes and Cottage Life

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

I haven't been back to Myspace since I left Toronto due to reasons beyond my control. I enjoy Facebook because that is how I keep up with my family and friends. I always enjoy being here at Ghostvillage because this also feels like home. Love you guys!
Right this way to my haunted space.

#8 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Interests:Interested in life in all it's forms

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

Ghost Village is the only message board I ever joined. My sister who was researching something came across it and passed the link to me knowing it would be of interest to me. And it was....and still is although I have wondered where everyone went. When I first joined, (whatever year that was?) I had just gotten my first computer and all this was new to me and very exciting and I must admit I too got attached to many of the people on the board and even had private emails with some of them. They're gone now. Feel like they died! I might be the oldest, in years here, I don't know. I'll be 76 soon and really don't understand people just vanishing like that. I should.....after all it is "Ghost" Village!
I think a lot of folks left for Facebook where they'll never find me.
True.....I should post more. Just got lazy!
"We grow neither better or worse as we get old, but more like ourselves."May L. BeckerCoffee.......the foundation of consciousness

#9 meanderer

meanderer

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:57 AM

I haven't been on Myspace for a few years (I just stopped going there because it was getting boring and passé...not that I follow trends), but I went back a while ago and didn't recognize the place. The look and feel of it wasn't enough to entice me back, and one day I'll go back and try to delete my account.
A few years ago, when I was going to leave GV, I wrote a thread stating my intentions and my reasons. I got a return note from one of the MODs (I can't remember who), saying it was "site policy" not to allow such "goodbye threads", as it might be exploited by people just looking for attention and "please don't leave!" comments. Now, whether other sites have that same "policy" or not, I don't know. But, it would explain why some people just disappear without notice. I didn't come back until Redhead tracked me down and asked me to come back. Which I did...hesitantly. I was actually very surprised that I remembered my password (even though, for some reason, messages don't seem to work...ahem!). Slowly checking out the site, seeing if the same equine manure was present (and it isn't). Since then, it's nice to be back - but the butt grooves in my seat cushion aren't the same anymore. :(

Sometimes, circumstances dictate that people just go away, for one reason or another. If you keep in touch with them without the site you had in common, it's great. If not...it's the way it's really supposed to be. Occasionally going back to sites you've deserted, hoping for a glimmer of familiarity (in the site itself, or people on the site) is holding yourself back from moving on. Possibly to bigger and better things. The way it's really supposed to be.

(wow - that's just one cuppa coffee?)
Beannacht ort

#10 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:09 AM

In the normal progression of things people generally make first contact with each other and a friendship either grows or it stagnates and we lose track. That is where I see things here. Normlly after making contact, be it FB or a forum, if a friendship is to grow contact intensifies. What began as a post may lead to e-mail or PM contact, maybe later to a phone call, and in a few cases diect face to face contact. When this happens we have a friend.

If on the other hand it never progresses beyond a post followed by another post followed by another, things stagnate. It becomes boring and we lose interest posting the same stuff over and over. We drift away and disappear in the night. That may be OK for a forum that is consistantly bringing in new people; there is a large pool of "new" friends to draw from. The forum can continue to grow itself. But today the interest in The paranormal is waning; this pool of new people is drying up. And along with it the stagnate friendships are not allowing any growth. People try new formats; MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, etc. in the hopes they can keep interest alive. But even that wears thin, and people keep shifting around looking for real friends. It won't work, the same isues will surface each time because the fundemental need of a friend is not present. That is growth.

So the fix is to develop something that encourages people to grow their friendship. Maybe the forum needs to promote contact between people outside the forum. Maybe local meetups, maybe a conference. Something besides just posting the same stuff over and over again. Such may yet bring life back into GV.

#11 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

I remember Gv having get togethers once or twice a year and go on an investigation together. I don't know what ever happened to that.
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#12 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:00 AM

So who gets the ball rolling?

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#13 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

One way we might do this, and since Jeff is updating the board it might be included. That would be a restricted forum topic. Any who want to include contact information and even phone numbers could put that information in there. The restriction (to keep out spammers and others who really aren't dedicated might be that you have to 1) Be a member of GV for at least 6 months, and 2) Have a minimum number of posts, say 100 over that time period. Once those conditions are met you would have the option (not automatic) to be included in that forum. And as a member you would be required to maintain a certain level of activity, i.e. keep in contact with other members via PM or e-mail at least once a month or your inclusion would be revoked. (That would keep data current.)

Another might be for some of us to organize something, or at least test the interest level, of doing something in our respective areas. We would need to guage the level of interest though. I tried a couple years ago to organize a haunted cave one day conference and private investigation of the cave, but that died due to lack of interest. But I would be willing to try again if the interest is there. We would need to put it out and see who would be willing to attend before going into it too far. Might want to get Jell involved as well; he does do presentations and a conference does require speakers....

There are a couple ideas to start the ball rolling.....

#14 leslie_dragonlvr

leslie_dragonlvr

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying life, again.<br />Anything paranormal, mostly spiritography and spirit communication.<br />The wilderness, traveling, historical places and a beach.<br />All that involves my heart and soul.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:37 AM

Ok, been watching this along with hubby and I'm gonna jump in with my 2 cents worth.
I think we start with possibly having interest struck up with a group disscussion board with topics to draw folks back in, Jeff needs to be included, he can put this in his newsletter and we need to advertise it on our front page in the community. We could spend a week or a month on a topic or two and invite the old and the new into this. Talk about places they are investigating, tools they are using and what seems to work for them etc. and stories about things that may have happened while investigating. These could be fun and informative in setting and set it to be free flowing. I do wish we had the chatrooms or at least one, that would be a cool place to have one of these disscussion nights.
Greg - You and no other - Forever and Always! Gv ge yu!

#15 leslie_dragonlvr

leslie_dragonlvr

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying life, again.<br />Anything paranormal, mostly spiritography and spirit communication.<br />The wilderness, traveling, historical places and a beach.<br />All that involves my heart and soul.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:47 AM

I should add, that I know Jeff has a Board of the Month, but folks don't always get involved not knowing what it is or exactly who Jeff is either...lol. But a new way of advertising this maybe??? We need to really strike interest to bring folks back and give new interest to new folks. It would be nice to have something set up on here almost like a chatroom or a facebook type of chatting area, I'm not sure how to say it, but it needs to "pop" to get interest. It could be something that is open like that a couple times a week or month to have real time disscussions, that's what folks are looking for. We used to really enjoy the chatrooms!
Greg - You and no other - Forever and Always! Gv ge yu!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users