23 replies to this topic

#1 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,369 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:34 PM

What is the best horror movie you've ever seen? Lets do top 3 must see horror movies. 1. The Thing (Kurt Russell) 2. Friday the 13th part 7 3. Halloween 2 (original)
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#2 saralove_23

saralove_23

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

Dolls or the Puppet Master movies(only 1-3). As far as scaring me goes, those two take the cake. Also Pet Cemetery.

#3 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:53 AM

The first Blair Witch Project scared the heck out of me, as well as the first Paranomal Activity.

Whatever

#4 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

1. The Exorcist
2. The Poltergeist
3. The Conjuring
Posted Image

#5 meanderer

meanderer

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:43 AM

I'm going to agree with axlfoley - I thought the first Blair Witch movie was pretty well done (sure - they could have cut 20 minutes out of the middle, where they were just lost in the woods, swearing at each other). It was suspenseful, and clever. They didn't have to show blood and gore, and they didn't have to show things from multiple angles, with slow motion and blaring music...the producers of the movie understood that you didn't need any of that. A lot of the "classic" horror movies didn't show that stuff. The viewers had to let their imaginations "fill in the blanks"...you never actually see Bela Lugosi sink his teeth into anybody's neck...you never saw Lon Chaney Jr shred anybody up in a bloodbath...you had to imagine the blood and the carnage. Horror movies today put it all out there for you in THX surround sound, where the volume jumps to about 90dB, at just the right suspenseful moment (so you're startled by the sudden sound, coupled by what you're watching on the screen), That doesn't make it a good movie, just a good job at editing. There's way too many movies that rely less on actual story-telling than they do on their sound editors.

Sorry about that rant - it's just that (for me) this type of movie is incredibly clichéd and tired. :(
Beannacht ort

#6 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:18 AM

I'm going to agree with axlfoley - I thought the first Blair Witch movie was pretty well done (sure - they could have cut 20 minutes out of the middle, where they were just lost in the woods, swearing at each other). It was suspenseful, and clever. They didn't have to show blood and gore, and they didn't have to show things from multiple angles, with slow motion and blaring music...the producers of the movie understood that you didn't need any of that. A lot of the "classic" horror movies didn't show that stuff. The viewers had to let their imaginations "fill in the blanks"...you never actually see Bela Lugosi sink his teeth into anybody's neck...you never saw Lon Chaney Jr shred anybody up in a bloodbath...you had to imagine the blood and the carnage. Horror movies today put it all out there for you in THX surround sound, where the volume jumps to about 90dB, at just the right suspenseful moment (so you're startled by the sudden sound, coupled by what you're watching on the screen), That doesn't make it a good movie, just a good job at editing. There's way too many movies that rely less on actual story-telling than they do on their sound editors.

Sorry about that rant - it's just that (for me) this type of movie is incredibly clichéd and tired. Posted Image

Meanderer I agree with your post. If there was a 'like' button here I would've clicked it.

Whatever

#7 meanderer

meanderer

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

Meanderer I agree with your post. If there was a 'like' button here I would've clicked it.

...and I would have clicked it for that, too. :)
Beannacht ort

#8 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:44 AM

...and I would have clicked it for that, too. Posted Image

lol.

Did you see the 2nd Blair Witch? I was so creeped out by the first that I didn't have enough guts to see the 2nd one. I guess it wasn't as good?

Whatever

#9 meanderer

meanderer

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:27 AM

No - I never saw any other Blair Witch movies. As a rule, I don't go to sequels...they never seem to live up to expectations after the first movie. There are some exceptions to that rule - if the original is meant (from the beginning) to be part of a bigger story (not as an after-thought) that can't be shown in one movie...otherwise, the sequels tend to be milking the same cash cow.

I saw "Paranormal Activity" (the 3rd one, I think). Never saw the first two parts. Within 5 minutes, I knew the entire storyline and was really bored. That's when I started paying attention to what the audio engineers did in the movie. Then it became more interesting...I started dissecting the sound of the movie, and it basically told me everything that was going to happen before it happened. I noticed these movies basically startle you with sudden changes in volume while you're seeing something that's supposed to be scary or horrifying, you jump (because of the sudden increase in volume), and your brain tells you that you jumped because what you just saw was scary. I guess if I go to the movies, I'm a boring date if it's a horror movie. :(
Beannacht ort

#10 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:01 AM

The other horror movies I like are Sixth Sense and The Others.

Meanderer, the first Paranormal is really good. You should give it a watch.

...and I think you'd be a fun horror movie date!

Whatever

#11 meanderer

meanderer

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

The other horror movies I like are Sixth Sense and The Others.

Meanderer, the first Paranormal is really good. You should give it a watch.

...and I think you'd be a fun horror movie date!

Coincidentally, I was going to mention those two movies, which I really liked a lot (The Others, because c'mon...Nicole Kidman!); but The Sixth Sense was better. I'll have to look for the first Paranormal Activity online...

as for being a fun horror movie date...? Posted Image

Edited by meanderer, 27 March 2014 - 10:28 AM.

Beannacht ort

#12 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:Knitting and crocheting, scrapbooking, reading, listening to music and singing

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

It scared the bjeezus out of me when I was a kid, and still does. Why? Pennywise. 'Nuff said in my opinion. The original Amityville Horror was pretty freaky (but darn good), too. And there was a movie that was just out recently about one of Ed and Lorraine Warren's cases that I thought was pretty good. Can't remember the name of it off hand.

Posted Image

Cry Havoc! And let loose the Dobermans of war!

My knitting and crocheting blog.

Life is too short to take seriously, none of us get out of it alive.

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be.Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

http://www.nomorerack.com/?cr=9281971

#13 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:14 AM

Hush...Hush Sweet Charlotte, with Bette Davis and Joseph Cotton

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#14 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

1) The Exorcist

2) Psycho (the original- Alfred Hitchcock)

3) Rosemary's Baby

4) Final Destination #1

Edited by Cryscat, 31 March 2014 - 06:00 PM.

Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#15 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,369 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

Final Destination #1 was a good one. I remember as a very very little kid...maybe 5YRS. I was watching an old black/white movie with my aunt. The only thing I can remember was a hand chasing after people...it looked like mud or clay. I remember it being in a cave an freaked the heck out of me. I wish I knew the name of the movie.

Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users