Symbol on the mirror

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 skepticalme

skepticalme

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

This is my first time posting to a paranormal forum, so apologies ahead of time in case I've mucked up the protocol or posted in the wrong area.

When I was 16 or 17, I woke up to a symbol written on my mirror. I'm 37 years old now, but the question of what it was or where it came from. The memory pops into my mind intermittently from time to time. Today, I thought of it for the first time in several years and for the first time it occurred to me that I might be able to find answers in the internet that weren't available when it happened.

The symbol wasn't something that the steam in the shower made visible. I woke up one morning, after thoroughly cleaning my room the day before (both parents are ex-military; when I say thorough what I mean is completely spotless) and looked up from my pillow to see it. Strangely, my eyes went right to it. It was like my subconscious knew it was there, but /consciously/ I had know idea how it got there.

I was not scared. It was at a point in my life where I had felt most secure in my own spirituality. To explain -- I identified with Native American spirituality b/c it was the closest thing to natural to me, but I hate labels. At the time, and even now, I felt an odd familiarity with rocks, trees and the wind. Not animals so much, but I do like birds. Rocks especially. I know this sounds freaking insane, hence why I never bothered to explain it to people - it's just how I polarized.

I wasn't scared, but I wasn't sure what it was. I told my sister about it. She saw it, but I smudged it awayI assumed there would be no defining it and I tried to rationalize it by telling myself I probably put it up in my sleep, but it looked like it was drawn with clear wax or chapstick and there wasn't any in my room.

But, has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Has anyone ever had similiar experiences? I would love to hear them if so.

-- I could not figure out how to upload an image, so I made it my 'profile image'. That is the symbol, as clear as I can remember. The line was going through the top of the circle 'or head'. I cannot remember if the center line (the 'body') continued down through the bottom triangle or stopped at the peak of the triangle (or hips), so I drew it as seemed natural. -- 

Unlike my scribbly lines, the image had very concise and measured lines without shakiness or lack of symmetry. I really wish I had the presence of mind to take a picture, but I do have a witness. My sister! We had a rivalry thing going on, then and kinda now, so she'd never say it happened if it hadn't.

#2 Ysbryd

Ysbryd

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:history, writing, reading, computers

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

Have you looked through websites and/or books about symbols and symbolism? That's where I'd start.

#3 skepticalme

skepticalme

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:43 PM

I have done that, but I haven't really found anything that strikes a chord.

#4 Ysbryd

Ysbryd

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

Could be a sigil, but how it got on your mirror I couldn't say. Nor what it's really for. I do know that stuff gets on mirrors and does strange things even when we think we're keeping the surface spotless. My driver's side, side view mirror on my car has what resembles a state on the right side of the mirror. No clue how it got there.

#5 skepticalme

skepticalme

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

I don't know. At the time, I told myself that there would never be any way to know what it was or why it was there. I accepted it for what it was because that was all I could do, but the memory of it will always be there. I don't expect anyone to come up with any answers as to its purpose, but I would love to know if anyone had a similar experience. It would be comforting to hear other people's stories. 

#6 Ysbryd

Ysbryd

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

Well I've shared the nearest I've had to your experience with something appearing in a mirror that's permanently there.

#7 Abominable Dr. Civis!

Abominable Dr. Civis!

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy kayaking, hiking, geocaching, foreign films, suspense, cheaply-made action or slasher films, folklore, working out, keeping a myriad of friends and acquaintances, green tea, Pixies (the band), spontaneity and adventure! Oh, and ghost-hunting too of course, though I find its more like fishing.

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

Anyway you could draw the symbol and scan a picture of it? I have had no similar experiences but I am curious to see what it was.
"The big brain am winning! I am the greetest! Mwa-ha-ha-ha! I must now leave Earth for no raisin! " -Chief Big Brain of Futurama

#8 skepticalme

skepticalme

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:38 PM

I couldn't figure out how to upload the image onto the 'thread', so I made it my member profile picture. It's not identical. It was a very long time ago and unfortunately I can't remember if I have it exact. The triangle (legs) at the bottom may have been smaller and the line (body) may have been longer. It may have continued, bisecting the lower triangle. I can't remember exactly. The most vivid part of it for me was the line that crossed the top of the circle (or head). I remember troubling over whether it looked like something being held up or something passing through the head.

This is a very near representation except where my image lacks symmetry the original did not. There were no smudges. No inexact angles. No inexact lines. It was probably the most remarkable thing about it -- other than the medium with which was used to make it -- which appeared to have been like clear chapstick or wax. I had none that I could find that might have been used to create the image.

#9 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:00 PM

sp02_hohokam_petroglyphs_sears_point.jpg

This is an example of a petroglyph found in the American west.  Similar carvings are found all over the world.  This may be a place to start.

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#10 skepticalme

skepticalme

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

It had crossed my mind that it was a petroglyph and I'd looked into it, but I didn't see one that seemed like it was the same style. Its very basic. The head and triangle were hollow, not filled, and the lines symmetrical. I hope I don't sound like I'm being overly nitpicky, but it feels important to the style. The use of dots and phallic lines makes it seem not quite accurate. The others I've looked at were 'filled' rather than hollow or the detail more elaborate.  I will keep looking, but if you know of any specific regions that used petroglyphs that were similar to the basic design please do let me know and thank you. 

Also, if anyone knows of any petroglyphic index by regions could they pass it on? I've been looking, but can't find one.

#11 skepticalme

skepticalme

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:11 PM

I apologize for any redundancies in my posts. I am multitasking. I tend to write in bursts and submit without careful editting.

#12 Abominable Dr. Civis!

Abominable Dr. Civis!

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy kayaking, hiking, geocaching, foreign films, suspense, cheaply-made action or slasher films, folklore, working out, keeping a myriad of friends and acquaintances, green tea, Pixies (the band), spontaneity and adventure! Oh, and ghost-hunting too of course, though I find its more like fishing.

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:03 PM

Have not found the symbol but it looks a lot to me like someone being stretched apart or bound.

Edited by Abominable Dr. Civis!, 13 May 2014 - 07:06 PM.

"The big brain am winning! I am the greetest! Mwa-ha-ha-ha! I must now leave Earth for no raisin! " -Chief Big Brain of Futurama

#13 skepticalme

skepticalme

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:21 PM

Heh. Let's hope not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users