Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

Superstitions - Ghostvillage.com's Board of the Month!

Superstitions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Belanger

Jeff Belanger

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

Dear Ghostvillagers,

Whenever I hear those first few bass pops from Stevie Wonder’s song “Superstition,” I start groovin’. It’s all there in the song “…broke the lookin’ glass / Seven years of bad luck, the good things in your past.” Not just a great song, “Superstition” taps into something we all feel at some point, whether it’s carrying a lucky rabbit’s foot (never lucky for the rabbit), avoiding the path of a black cat, or eating chicken before every professional baseball game you play in, superstition is a force that crawls inside of us and makes a home. It doesn’t matter if it makes sense or not.

Here’s the funny thing: to the individual, superstition is hard science! If you eat chicken before a baseball game and have a good game, then one day you skip the chicken and play lousy, that’s easy observable science. Eating chicken may not guarantee a good game, but skipping it guarantees a bad game. It may sound ridiculous, but it was a fact for Red Sox Hall of Famer Wade Boggs.

Believe in a thing and it becomes real. Tell my seven-year-old daughter that her stuffed animals aren’t real. She loves them, plays with them daily, and they love her back. It’s real. Tell me the two aces I’ve carried in my wallet for the last twenty years don’t mean anything and I’ll vehemently disagree. Superstitious? Yes. Invalid? No.

This month we’re going to explore superstitions on the NEW Ghostvillage.com. Last month we announced the re-launch, and if you haven’t checked in lately, we’ve polished the fenders, added some new content, and integrated everything. We’ll be adding new features regularly now. Be sure to check out all of the great creepy photography from Frank Grace! If you like the image, you can click on it and purchase prints online.

In other big news this month, my New England Legends show that I produced, wrote, and hosted for PBS earned an Emmy nomination! This whole project was funded by myself and my partner, producer, director, and editor Tony Dunne. We enlisted our friends, Director of Photography Nate Buynicki, and musician John Judd, and then begged, borrowed, and stole to get these two episodes produced.

Now that we’ve been nominated, other New England PBS stations have agreed to air the show, so I’ll be announcing new air dates soon. It’s been an amazing journey, and to earn this nomination on a project that we built from nothing is so satisfying. Thank you to everyone who has purchased the DVDs and supported me on this project. We’ve been filming other shorter segments for PBS affiliate WGBY—those segments will be available on Ghostvillage.com for viewing after they air. It’s been a blast to work on these stories. In many cases, these legends are so visual, there’s no other way but to strap on your boots and take a camera out there.

Speaking of out there… (for me, at least) I just got back from Australia. It was as far from home as I could travel (had I gone any further, I would have been getting closer again). I was a speaker at the Paracon Australia event at Maitland Gaol. I had an amazing time and met a great bunch of people. My buddy, Ouija board expert Robert Murch was there too. Inside the old jail we may have broken a record: 67 people using Ouija Boards at once. Somehow the portal to hell didn’t open, but we did open up some great discussions. Thanks to all my new mates Down Under!

Supernaturally yours,

Jeff Belanger
Mayor of Ghostvillage.com
Twitter: @THEJeffBelanger
Facebook: Jeff Belanger
YouTube: www.youtube.com/legendtripping

Have you read these books?
Posted Image
There will be a quiz...

#2 Ysbryd

Ysbryd

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:history, writing, reading, computers

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

I love reading about superstitions from Eastern European countries. I hope someone can share a few or at least a link to some online. :)

#3 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

There are plenty here in India.

I guess most of the so called superstitions had origin in some facts, but eventually people took it too far fanatically and made a mess of the practices.

I have heard lot of "cat" related ones, here in India arrival of a cat into a house is considered a boon, an omen for prosperity and wealth.  But if a cat crosses one's path, it is not considered  a good omen to travel. 

Posted Image

#4 meanderer

meanderer

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

It's bad luck to disturb a fairy fort (or rath) in Ireland...in fact, Sean Quinn was the richest developer in Ireland and by 2011, he filed for bankruptcy.  Some say his financial ruin is the result of moving a fairy fort:

http://www.independe...n-26794562.html

I've seen several new buildings under construction, and part of the structure will seemingly avoid pattern and go around what appears to be a heap of earth and shrubs.  I asked one construction foreman why, and he told me "that's a fairy fort - we leave those alone".  He seemed sincere enough.

Even in modern times, there are still beliefs and (some would call them) superstitions that are so engrained into a culture.  A lot of people don't outwardly believe in the wee people, but they certainly go out of their way to avoid offending them.

Beannacht ort

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users