1 reply to this topic

#1 Jeff Belanger

Jeff Belanger

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:48 AM

Dear Ghostvillagers,

With the Summer Solstice just a few days away here at the Ghostvillage.com world headquarters, I can’t help but think about summer days, warm winds, and water. No matter the summer, most of us end up around a lake at some point. We think boats, fishing, or dipping our toe in off of some picturesque dock. But we also think mystery.

So many lakes have some kind of paranormal mystery dwelling from the depths. Whether it’s the most famous Loch Ness Monster in Scotland, the Ogopogo of British Columbia, or some other creature from the deep, there are spirits to these bodies of water.

I went to college at Hofstra University in Long Island, New York. At the time, I remember hearing many legends about Lake Ronkonkoma in Suffolk County. One legend is that the lake is bottomless. That one is pretty easy to dismiss, but there is another story that isn’t as easily set aside.

The story goes that there was a Native American princess named Ronkonkoma who fell in love with an early European woodcutter who lived near the lake. But their love was forbidden. So Ronkonkoma would paddle her canoe to the middle of the lake and float messages to the woodcutter on the other side of the water. One day, the anguish of not being allowed to see her love was too much to take, so she took her own life. When the white settler saw his love’s body, he too took his own life and a curse was born.

Here’s the tricky part: the story goes that each year, Ronkonkoma’s spirit drags a man down in the lake and drowns him. The crazy thing is this: the legend is true! Sort of… Dozens of people have drowned in Lake Ronkonkoma over the last 200 years, and the vast majority of them were men. But statistically, most drowning victims are men anyway. Though a decade will go by with no deaths at the lake, when averaged, it sure can look like one per year.

Should someone drown there this summer, the curse of the lady of the lake will be brought up again and her legendary lease will be renewed for a long time to come.

Maybe she’s there to remind us to swim carefully. Maybe she’s there as a reminder that love should never be forbidden. Or maybe she’s really there… lurking in the wakes of the boats and the shadows of the trees.

Last month I told you about my New England Legends show being nominated for an Emmy Award! I wish I was telling you all about how we won and my ego is so big it won’t fit on the planet anymore. But sadly, the night wasn’t ours. You can read all of the details on my personal blog here. But I will say this: not winning motivated me in a way that winning never could. Our very first episode was nominated for an Emmy! We know we can do better. This summer we aim to prove it by producing another episode for PBS. I can’t wait to show it to you this Fall!

Supernaturally yours,

Jeff Belanger
Mayor of Ghostvillage.com

Have you read these books?
Posted Image
There will be a quiz...

#2 TheresaRHPS

TheresaRHPS

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:17 AM

That's kind of an eerie coincidence that I just read about this particular lake for the first time a few days ago, lol.  And, while I was researching similar incidents, I found another awesome lake spirit story from Nevada's Pyramid Lake.  You might be familiar with this body of water as being the stock photo found on the Apple iPad's wallpaper!

From the website, WhoForted? Article by Chris Savia:

"With the popularity of Apple’s iGadgets spreading like capitalistic cancer, everyone’s acquainted with its iconic wallpaper, Richard Misrach’s Pyramid Lake (at Night).

Beneath those depths lay a far greater menace beyond the imaginings of any Starbucks hipster. Nearly every year, someone ends up drowning at the lake. Bodies are rarely recovered by authorities. Park Rangers chalk it up to bad luck, and ill-prepared tourists, but Native Americans know the score.

Once upon a time, a Paiute boy fell in love with a mermaid from the California coast. Bursting with pride, he brought her home to meet the tribe, only to be rejected because she was a weird cryptid-fae monster. Understandably upset, she cursed the waters.

Evidence of her spite arose not too long after the rejection. A serpent slithered out from the lake, ate a kid, and took on its form, as was the fashion at the time. When the mother returned to feed her baby, it was like Soviet Russia where baby eats you! To save her life, the medicine man made a deal with this devil, allowing it to dwell in those waters if it let the young mother go.

So begins the tale of the water babies. These malign water spirits can be heard by visitors, but natives warn the palefaces, “If you hear it, it’s bad news; if you see it, you’re dead!”

One of the other legends haunting these waters regards the Stone Mother. Once a mere mortal, infatuated with the Great Father she murdered her husband so she could stalk her one and only love. Strangely enough, probably because he was a god, Great Father wasn’t creeped out, they fell in love, and it wasn’t long before they were blessed with many children.

The oldest son was an BAD_WORD, constantly picking on his siblings. At wit’s end, the Great Father scattered them far and wide so he could have some peace and quiet at long last. The kids ended up founding their own tribes, but upon returning to their homeland, the feuding started all over again. Stunned, their mother wept ’til her tears filled the lake. She sat in the same place so long that she turned to stone, still sitting there to this day."

Huntington Paranormal Investigations and ResearchCheck out my website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users