Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

Aboriginal Spirits - Our Topic of the Month!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Belanger

Jeff Belanger

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

Dear Ghostvillagers,

The storyteller in me is always looking for the beginning of any tale. If I can get close enough to the beginning, I’ll learn something about the world around me and myself.

Ironically, no story starts at the very beginning -- they jump in at some point in time -- kind of like life. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t a back story. George Lucas understood that, which is why three very successful movies were created to tell us what happened before there was Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia.

When I study a legend, whether it’s a modern ghost encounter or something more ancient, I go back as far as I can. Then I keep digging. Recently I’ve been looking into the Thunderbird from Native American folklore. They describe a creature that’s man-like but with great wings. It’s called a Thunderbird because the flying creature’s flapping wings causes thunder-like booms.

thunderbird2.jpgWhen you read about the 1966-1967 Mothman sightings in Point Pleasant, West Virginia, the creature’s description sounds a lot like a Thunderbird. In New England, the local Native Americans also believed in a Thunderbird. While digging through an old book of Native American Indians, I saw this artifact of a bird-like man that was fashioned out of copper. It’s centuries old and was found in a grave near the modern-day city of Manchester, New Hampshire. I’m planning a trip to the museum to see the actual piece.

Either the people of Point Pleasant were really well-versed in Native American lore, or they saw something, described it as best they could, and gave it a name that stuck: Mothman.

The reason legends spread is because in some cases they’ve been around for thousands of years. And please understand that just because I call something a legend doesn’t mean I think it’s a made-up story. Quite the opposite, actually. I believe there is something profound behind these stories, otherwise they wouldn’t captivate us the way they do, nor would they last as long as some of them have.

When we speak of aboriginal people, we’re talking about the folks who were here before modern settlers. In some countries, we’re talking about tens of thousands of years of human history that are almost completely lost, but some of their myths and stories survive. Which begs the question: Is it the stories that survive or are there some entities that make their presence known and we search through our collective consciousness to put a label onto the things? Maybe even a label that’s been used before.

“Ancient Indian Burial Ground” is a paranormal cliché today. It’s like a default reason for a haunting when you can come up with no other. But perhaps there’s some wisdom in looking back further than building records and town hall notices. If you think about an area like New England, there were people living and dying here 12,000 to 14,000 years ago. Then some Europeans came along a mere 400 years ago and that’s as far back as we tend to look.

History is a ghost story. We need to be willing to look back as far as the ghosts take us.

Supernaturally yours,

Jeff Belanger
Mayor of Ghostvillage.com
Twitter: @THEJeffBelanger
Facebook: Jeff Belanger
YouTube: www.youtube.com/legendtripping

Have you read these books?
Posted Image
There will be a quiz...

#2 Ravus Aranea

Ravus Aranea

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:All things paranormal.All religious beliefs and practices. Superstitions.Collecting books. Writing.Creating with my hands, what my mind's eye imagines.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:37 PM

My brother and I have both had experiences with some type of huge bird like creature.....on separate occasions. his was near an old abandoned mine. the one i had was across the street from my home.I did not see the creature but i heard it scream repeatedly for about ten minuets .....it was almost deafening it was so loud...and not any type of owl as we have those all the time and know their sounds well. This was absolutely horrifying .....it sounded as loud as a freight train.this was two years ago.

#3 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:23 AM

As you are interested in the ancient lore, check out the Kokopeli.  He is found all around the world in various incarnations.  He is also one of the earliest stellar constellations occupying a space that now house several northern modern constellations including Ursa Major and Minor.  He is even found among the Aboriginal people of Australia and they have been there for at least 40,000 years.

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#4 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

Hey Greg, Can you post some links?

Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#5 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:28 AM

Here are a few interesting Kokopeli links:

http://www.warpaths2...elli-symbol.htm

http://www.topsecret...n-storytelling/

http://kokopelli.info/page2.html

Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users