Paranormal State host allegedly been scamming thousands

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

Ryan Buell has allegedly been scamming thousands of his fans by scheduling bogus events and keeping their money for the last few years. According to representatives from some of the events that Buell supposedly scheduled, they say that he never even booked the venues. Fans want answers and their money back.

Popular psychic-medium and former "Paranormal State" cast-mate Chip Coffey went to his Facebook earlier this morning to announce that he has nothing to do with Ryan Buell, Sergey Poberezhney, or their group the Paranormal Research Team.

http://www.examiner....s-alleged-scams

http://www.examiner....ipping-off-fans

Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#2 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:14 PM

I could see this coming way back when they still had the PRS forum.  He kept offering field trips that fell apart or were not what was promised.   Then they formed a separate forum apart from the main one called the Bereau.  Charged members $100 to join.  Aside from feeling like you were special I never heard of any of them getting anything for their money. 

I was active on the main forum, never joined the Bereau.  Also managed to avoid the scams back then.  Now I have broken all connections and no longer have anything to do with PRS.   I became a thorn in their side when I began urging forum members to be wary of some of the posted activities.  Hopefully those who fell for the scams will get their money returned, but based on some who tried way back early on, I wouldn't hold my breath.

#3 Ravus Aranea

Ravus Aranea

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:All things paranormal.All religious beliefs and practices. Superstitions.Collecting books. Writing.Creating with my hands, what my mind's eye imagines.

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:45 PM

I'm curious to know anyone's take on Chip Coffee.......I'm always skeptical of very dramatic individuals.

#4 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,399 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:59 AM

We live in a strange world, don't we?

Posted Image

#5 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

RA - I have no opinion on Chip Coffey. I liked him when he was on Psychic Kids, but was suprised that he went on Paranormal State.

Cave Rat - So glad you didn't get caught up in any of this mess.  I only watched a few PS shows, but something didn't smell right to me, so I quit watching. I think things like this happen when ego and greed take the upper hand.

MoonChild - You said it. Strange world.

Edited by Cryscat, 31 July 2014 - 05:48 PM.

#6 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

There are two well-known mediums in the UK being pursued for disability payment fraud and undeclared income. You'd think they would have remembered that the general public despises disability and tax fraud.

Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#7 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

RA - I'll go out on that limb here.  I have met Chip Coffey and spoken with him.  I don't think he is attempting to actually scam people as PRS was doing.  On the other hand he is a well known personality.  As such he does get on quite a few shows and deals with many other people in the field.  This means he does have a vested interest in keeping his name in the field.

Where I disagree is with his emphasis on demons / demonics.  I have been in this field for quite a few years now (40 plus) and have encountered very few cases where even a possibility of demons might be considered.  I believe he is too quick to jump to that conclusion.  Although when it comes to demons he is correct with dealing with them from a religious aspect.

In the end there is a fine line between anyone in the entertainment / public arenas versus one who is strictly researching.  Entertainment does require one keep name recognition as a part of their persona.  An investigator has no such requirement.  Thus that motivation is not a part of true research.

#8 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

CaveRat, do you think that Coffey's emphasis on demonics didn't start until he was on PRS? I noticed that when he was on Psychic kids, that emphasis was not there.

#9 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:07 PM

I think it goes back to his religious upbringing.  Which in itself was not a bad thing.  But I also believe that the producers of PRS capitalized on this and as such promoted him as a demonic / spiritual investigator to fit with the show's program.  It worked, and he went along with it, thus the personality is established. 

Where I feel the mistake is that he is too quick to leap to a paranormal explanation, usually related to spirits, and sometimes demons.  He does not take the neccessary steps before hand to rule out the commonplace.  At least that is the impression one gets from his TV appearances.  (I am also aware he is following the director's lead and may not be shown in an unbised role.)   TV is all about ratings, not investigating.

#10 Ravus Aranea

Ravus Aranea

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:All things paranormal.All religious beliefs and practices. Superstitions.Collecting books. Writing.Creating with my hands, what my mind's eye imagines.

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:03 PM

I suppose demons and evil entities make for more dramatic TV and boosts ratings. What about Amy on Dead Files...her ticks interest me but i suppose that can be easily faked as well.I'm really skeptical of the so called mediums and sensitives that breeze through the whole thing like they are talking about the weather....one in particular comes to mind...who is far too cheerful and nonplussed...being sensitive carries emotion with it..........and can mean anything from cold sweats to stuttering to hives.....who needs more drama than that...Amy is always scratching...wringing her hands and so on..........just say'n........I recognize the ticks.They seemed to have amped up the drama this season.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users