Black Dogs

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#61 rayzrwyre

rayzrwyre

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in intelligent conversations with like-minded people who share a fascination with all things paranormal........now where would I find such wonderful people like that???

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:20 PM

You torture me, Leonie! :whee: How I would love to live in a country so filled with myth and legends, so rich in possible story topics! Grrr! However, I loved that little snippet of a story ( my urge is to write it in first person, but's thats me) and wish that I could add to the legend of the Black Dog, but aside from Googling for research, I will have to rely on others to fill the void of my knowledge in the subject.
"Excuse me while I slip out of these wet clothes and into a dry martini!" - Groucho Marx

#62 leonie

leonie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:"We keep on going because of hope. The hope that one day for one moment we'll feel the total unwavering bliss of a second of happiness."

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:20 PM

I wanted to start writing it in first person half way through but I couldnt be bothered going back and changing :whee: Im lazy like that..
The black dog is also a legend in North America, some parts of Europe and Australia. Australa has a special kind of Black Dog named Mirii Dogs.

Ah I just noticed Ive put "prey you die slowly" when really I mean quickly!!

Edited by leonie, 15 June 2007 - 01:22 PM.

"Your just a beautiful freak, I wish there were more like you." - EelsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#63 rayzrwyre

rayzrwyre

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in intelligent conversations with like-minded people who share a fascination with all things paranormal........now where would I find such wonderful people like that???

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:40 PM

Naw, you meant slowly, because you're evil! :whee: LOL! Showing your true colors, eh?
"Excuse me while I slip out of these wet clothes and into a dry martini!" - Groucho Marx

#64 leonie

leonie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:"We keep on going because of hope. The hope that one day for one moment we'll feel the total unwavering bliss of a second of happiness."

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:45 PM

Ahhh now I know why the inspiration for the stranger was Ray lol, only kidding....

Anywhoo... bet you hadnt noticed until I stated so anyway :whee: I think I might draw a black dog now, Ive gotten really curious about them over the last few days.

"Your just a beautiful freak, I wish there were more like you." - EelsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#65 Liana

Liana

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:42 PM

Hi guys

I have a black dog legend from my mother's native country of Argentina.

My relatives live in Monte Grande, (big mountain) in Buenos Aires, about 40 mins out from the city. I was 14 when my uncle died so my brother, my mum and I left Australia to see the family in Buenos Aires. Monte Grande is full of dirt roads, many trees and it is not safe to be out late at night.

One of my aunts, Josepha and my grandmother both live 2 houses from each other, and one of my other aunts, Marie lives about a good 500 metres down the road. I was at my aunt's Marie's place and remembered I was told to be indoors by 10pm by my aunt Josepha. I was also told that if I saw a black dog within a pack of wild stray dogs, to stay away from it or it would swallow me whole and I would disappear forever.

I laughed at this and dismissed it. So I was at my aunt Marie's place and it was late at night and I was walking back to aunt Josepha's which is where I was staying at the time, and I was almost home, when i heard a sound in the distance. It sounded like horses, hooves on the ground, but not as heavy. I turned around and saw a wild pack of dogs from down the road coming towards me. Now packs of wild dogs are very common in the country there. There are strays everywhere. So I wasn't too alarmed, but as I looked closer, I saw a black dog running with the pack. It was almost as if it was running along, but in the centre of the group, like it was being protected or something.

Well I saw the black dog and RAN as fast as I could to my aunt's place. I tried to open the gate was it was jammed. I kept trying until the dogs were almost where I was so I jumped the BAD_WORD gate and watched them just run past the house. I thought they would have stopped and barked at the gate where I was?

Anyway my mum told me the reason why people need to stay indoors at night is because there is a legend that if a mother has 7 daughters or 7 sons, the 7th child turns into a creture at night that scours the streets and also the graveyards and feasts on anything it can find. Dead animals, dead people it will dig up who have just been buried etc.

If you let the black dog come near you, it will rub up against your legs and eat you up.

You can tell if the 7th son or daughter is one of these because he or she will appear 'ill' during the day. They are skinny, yellowish skin and big eyes.

I asked mum if we knew any families overseas who have 7 daughters or 7 sons, or if they knew of anyone in the neighbourhood with 7 sons or daughters and she said no, thank god lol.

Strange though, true?? I shat myself when she told me the ACTUAL story!!!! I want to go back and visit my relatives soon, but I know i wont be out that late every again lol

#66 jenjen

jenjen

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:25 PM

wow! thanks 4 sharing the above entry Liana!

#67 leonie

leonie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:59 PM

Thats a fantastic story thankyou so much for telling it... Not many people know much of the black dogs and thanks for that. It was very interesting.
I like the idea of the 7th son or daughter, Ive never heard of the son but Ive hear legends of the 7th daughter... Id have 7 kids just to find out :Spaz: just kidding.

#68 AndyCT

AndyCT

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Reading (Horror, Sci-Fi, Fantasy)<br />Spending time with friends and family<br />Computers<br />TV

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:32 PM

search for "black shuck" thats prolly the best thing to look for if your into black dog stories
"Evil Unchecked Grows, Evil Tolerated Poisons The Whole System" - Jawaharlal Nehru"Through Avarice, Evil Smiles; Through Insanity, It Sings" - Anonymous

#69 levi

levi

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:ghost hunting, roadtrips, playing guitar, horror movies, and being me.

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:18 PM

why do grandmothers always have the best stories? not sure if it was a black dog or not. but my grandmother would every now and again tell about when she was a young girl, a huge (she always said it was the biggest dog she's ever seen) approached her in her backyard, howled 3 times and bounded away. later that afternoon she found out that her aunt died earlier in the day. kind of creepy.
Sign says "next sign 30 miles."

#70 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:37 AM

why do grandmothers always have the best stories?

Mostly because most of them are not mere stories.
Posted Image

#71 ChrisR

ChrisR

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal<br />My Suzuki GSX-R600<br />Football<br />Sharks<br />Industrial &amp; Trance Music

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:08 AM

This link is interesting...

The Bargest of Trollers Ghyll
http://www.trekearth...photo282368.htm

Seems like almost every English county except mine (Isle of Wight) has a black dog legend.
Posted Image

#72 leonie

leonie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:&quot;We keep on going because of hope. The hope that one day for one moment we'll feel the total unwavering bliss of a second of happiness.&quot;

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:30 PM

You know what ChrisR, Youve completeley rekindled my memory! As A kid Ive been to Trollers Ghyll loads of times and my dad used to tell me the stories when we were there! How could I forget!?!

#73 Amadan

Amadan

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:11 AM

Okay, if I remember my folklore right it was believed in the UK that the soul of the first person buried in a churchyard was to become the guardian..not an attractive prospect, so they buried a black dog first

#74 Pfled

Pfled

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:1. Making my son smile<br />2. Investigating and researching places of alleged paranormal activity<br />3. Hiking<br />4. Cooking

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:24 AM

Wow great thread!

We Nutmeggers have our own Black Dog legend, The Black Dog of the Hanging Hills. It is said the first time you see the black dog it will be joyous, the second, sorrowful, and the third time will lead to your demise.

Legend goes that in the 1890's a man by the name of Pynchon was in the Meriden area studying the rock formations of the hills. He came upon a very friendly black dog who followed him a good part of the day. He was happy to have a companion with him during his somewhat lonely journey so he did not mind the dog following at all. Upon leaving back for his home in NY, Pynchon noticed the dog disappear back into the hills.

A few years later, Pynchon returned to the hills with a friend so they could study the hills further. Upon encampment they told stories of their trips in the general area. The friend had mentioned on two separate occasions, while visiting the area, seeing a similar black dog to the one that Pynchon had met. The colleagues continued climbing through the hills when they both spotted the black dog up on a ledge. On deciding to go visit the canine, the friend slipped on the rock and fell to his death, leaving Pynchon quite sorrowful.

Pynchon, undeterred by the demise of his friend, came back some years later to again study the area further. His body was found at the bottom of the cliffs. Apparently he had fallen while scaling the rocks. We can only assume he saw the black dog for a third time.

You can find more about the story here:
Curbstone Press: Legendary Connecticut

-Pfled
"So even if you can't see it, you can still believe in it.It's easier if you lose all the things that prevent you from seeing it."-The Resistance by the Sam Roberts Band

#75 Ike

Ike

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:16 AM

Has anyone had any hellhound urban myths?
Got them here, alive and well. But, still looking into it.
Thats great taylor and Imma let you continue, but Ghostvillage is the best paranormal site of all time~<3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users