Black Dogs

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#91 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:way too many to mention, but to paraphrase:<br />Animals<br />Photography<br />Literature<br />writing<br />Paranormal research<br />Psychology<br />Sociology<br />Anthropology<br />Travel<br />Yoga<br />Cooking

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:22 PM

Hi, Babalon, I'm in So Cal I;ve heard that sighting/encountering a black dog is supposed to be a warning of death or disaster but am viewing it sort of like a superstition
Posted ImageThank you for not feeding the trolls

#92 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:24 PM

Some reading material for the interested

Black dogs in Folklore:

http://www.indigogro...edge/bdogfl.htm

Black dogs: Guardians of the Corpseways

http://www.indigogro.../edge/bdogs.htm

Edited by Cryscat, 20 September 2009 - 02:28 PM.

Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#93 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:way too many to mention, but to paraphrase:<br />Animals<br />Photography<br />Literature<br />writing<br />Paranormal research<br />Psychology<br />Sociology<br />Anthropology<br />Travel<br />Yoga<br />Cooking

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:38 PM

Very interesting reads, thanks, Crystcat

I'm ashamed I forgot about Enpu, the jackal-headed guide of the dead in Egypt

#94 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:05 PM

You're welcome Oiche.. I like the second one best as it explores myth/folklore worldwide instead of just British.
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#95 Silvertongue

Silvertongue

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:reading<br />ghosts<br />history<br />writing<br />movies<br />theatre<br />

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:28 PM

I'm ashamed I forgot about Enpu, the jackal-headed guide of the dead in Egypt

So the Enpu fall under this category of black dog spectres? I hadn't thought of it that way. I usually think of Egyptian mythology as just it's own thing.

Posted Image

#96 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:59 AM

Morning, Silver! Wondering about something, now the Phoenicians of what's now Lebanon had settled on the far coast of Ireland, maybe the Egyptians made it that far as well and the barghast legend is a spinoff especially the corpsepath dogs that would tie in Anubis (Enpu) guiding the soul to the underworld but safeguarding the physical body as well

#97 Silvertongue

Silvertongue

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:reading<br />ghosts<br />history<br />writing<br />movies<br />theatre<br />

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:07 AM

Where on earth did you read that??
Posted Image

#98 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:34 PM

LOL I'm spitballing on the Egyptian English theory, Silver, but when the tuatha de Danu landed in Eire they encountered a savage race of dark-skinned, dark-eyed, dark haired warriors in the north of the isle, they called them 'firbolg' or men of the bogs and the Phoenicians were traders and explorers

#99 timestopped

timestopped

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Equestrian, walking, hiking, biking, fishing, the beach, telling stories, camping

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:28 AM

I saw a black thing once, but it wasn't exactly a dog. And it wasn't in a graveyard, but someone told me the place had been an indian burial ground.
Looking at the world through eyes frozen like pools of ice.

#100 RiverTownParanormalSociety

RiverTownParanormalSociety

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:52 PM

According to churchyard legend the first interred became the churchyard's guardian for eternity, so back in the day, the first to be buried was always a large black dog charged with frightening off trespassers. I know this custom was largely observed in the UK but have any of our UK kin ever encountered one of these guardians

I think they're called Barghasts in Gaelic

Great subject. Our group has had an encounter with black dogs. I had not heard that they were guardians of the church yard. This makes sense to me though. The church was across the street when the group seen them. The UK term sounds so much better then devil dogs. Yikes.
Deb
RTPS

#101 Corey

Corey

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:20 PM

I know that giant black red-eyed dogs are part of the pantheon of phenomena in the Hockomock Swamp here in Massachusetts. Of course, just about every type of paranormal activity apparently goes on out there, so who knows.

#102 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:53 AM

Just a quick note for the Egyptian/Phoenician connection...
The Mediterranian was doing a lively trade with the British Isles for tin, going back maybe 3000 years or so, there would have been a bit of cultural exchange, and knowing sailors, some other exchanges as well, so myth certainly would have been known to both cultures.

Greg

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#103 leonie

leonie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:&quot;We keep on going because of hope. The hope that one day for one moment we'll feel the total unwavering bliss of a second of happiness.&quot;

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:31 PM

http://www.ghostvill...showtopic=27441

"Your just a beautiful freak, I wish there were more like you." - EelsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#104 TwiceGreat

TwiceGreat

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Saving the world from it's own boring arse self, traveling, back roads, good beer, good music, pretty girls, writing, making armor, collecting and applying secrets where best used, helping people out, and most importantly, iced coffee.

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:32 AM

I know the legends, what are your opinions on these entities? Also known as Mauthe Doogs, Churchyard Grims and a variety of other names, they are best known in the British Isles as harbingers of death and other omens (sometimes good) - do you think they can have a presence in the states?

I'm curious to some opinions on these unsettling spirits, and experiences if any.
Posted Image "Reality is the line where rival gangs of shamans fought to a standstill." Posted Image

#105 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:57 AM

I am moving this to the Urban Legends anf Folklore board.

Welcome to GhostVillage.

I (Aloha Spirit) have merged the threads, so there was no need for the link

Edited by aloha_spirit, 28 November 2010 - 10:45 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users