Did a woman really give birth to frog

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 28 September 2004 - 11:31 AM

Mile, the Mary Toft incident happened a couple of hundred years ago. People still had illnesses and injuries treated with leeches or blood letting. Medical science was in it's infancy. I can see how she was able to fool so many people. And let's face it- there are those of us who just Want to believe. That's why the Globe, etc. do such good business.

I still say that she became pregnant out of wedlock and the child was malformed - the nutrition there has to be abominal - and she miscarried a fetus that had severe birth defects. Take the 'flipper.' I know a woman who gave birth to a child that has deformed hands - one hand has three fingers and no thumb, and the other hand has one finger and a thumb. The one hand could easily be called a 'flipper'. Fortunately, the girl, now a young woman is normal in everything but that and has her own family now. And, like I said, a woman giving birth outside of wedlock in a country like hers would be put to death by stoning. The humiliation the rest of the family would be devestating. I belive firmly this is the case, and the dr. is being either very ignorant, or very compassionate towards this case. If you were a doctor, in a situation like this - would you want to send a terrified woman to her death?
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#32 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 11:48 AM

you think so,to the point that it looked like a frog.this is so weired though

#33 JimTheBrit

JimTheBrit

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 08:06 AM

"The crucial factor in making urban legends believable is plausible detail. In July 2004, for instance, the BBC reported that an Iranian woman had given birth to a frog; or more precisely, the corporation reported that an Iranian newspaper had reported the grotesque event. The original report, in the Iranian daily Etemaad, said the unnamed woman in the south-eastern city of Iranshahr had produced a live, grey-coloured frog after "a bizarre labour". The birth of the reptile was preceded by copious bleeding, and the frog itself was covered in mud.

The paper claimed that one Dr Varasteh, a gynaecologist, had confirmed the event, saying the woman's menstrual cycle had stopped for six months and a sonogram indicated the presence of a cyst in her abdomen.

The detail, and learned speculation as to how the frog found its way into the woman's womb, combined to lull even the BBC into credulity. Yet the story is not only patently false but also belongs to an ancient category of legend in which a woman gives birth to an octopus, a lizard, a fish or a snake. A Californian version of the tale appeared in recent years. Earlier versions were found in the US's Atlantic states in 1934, while a British version was reported in a book called Shattering Health Superstitions in 1930. In that version, a London factory girl swallowed something while swimming, was seized with appalling stomach pains soon afterwards, and an X-ray showed she had swallowed an octopus egg that had hatched out inside her.

[...]

The woman who gave birth to a frog

In the most recent version of an ancient legend that has inspired morbid fascination and revulsion for centuries, a woman in Iran was reported to have given birth to a frog. So believable was the incidental detail in the story that it was not only carried by a Farsi-language Iranian newspaper and the Iranian wire service, but also picked up by the BBC on its website - the piece was originally illustrated with a photograph of a frog, though not a frog found in Iran."

Original article

#34 spooksnspirits

spooksnspirits

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 01:04 AM

Definitely not real... here's what snopes.com has to say about it:
http://www.snopes.co...ant/octopus.htm

#35 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 02:26 PM

Ya know..... I'm thinking that some people are so warped when it comes to the female body that they're just WHACKED! :blink:
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#36 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 09 November 2004 - 09:55 AM

I agree Hawker - they still perform female castration in parts of Africa! Sick!
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#37 Simmy

Simmy

Ghostvillage Newsgirl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Cars, Animals, Family....LIFE!

Posted 09 November 2004 - 08:10 PM

It was in the BBC news.
http://paranormal.ab.../b/a/095636.htm

http://www.worldnetd...RTICLE_ID=39176

lol @ this...I chose not to comment any further on this one lol

#38 deadzone

deadzone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Interests:I am a Clinical Psychologist, who uses a non-linear approach to helping individuals....Hence, my healthy obsession with the paranormal.....I enjoy debating, research, writing, plays, theater, designing web sites, and graphics, although not well versed in this area, I have fun doing it. I Adore animals and have several, a cat named Cuda, a dog named Skeeter, a horse named Diablo, a betta who fights with himself. I also paint, and blow glass......

Posted 09 November 2004 - 09:02 PM

A little tadepole, how very quaint!!!!!!
Posted Image

#39 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 12:51 AM

OK it was one of my sickest posts I wish I never posted it :ph34r:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users