52 replies to this topic

#31 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:56 AM

I think I'm with you on this one Peter, other than the moving car one, (as mentioned there's no detailed report to read, therefore can't really be used here) There's a decent amount of scientific probabilities and explanations, not to mention some experiments that can back up the results of the fire. I can agree with you too, that these people had to have died from something else first, such as heartattack, etc. Something like that certainly is not going to be found in an autopsy, where most of the body is completely gone. I think it's reasonable to conclude that these people died of "natural cuases" and the body fell victim to the result of death. That being a cigarette, candle, or some other flamable, or combustionable substances.

It may still seem difficult to grasp how the clothing did not catch fire and then consume the body from outside in as it were, but instead seemed to cuase a smoldering burn from underneath (bottom of the seat/cushion) and into or off of the body fat content of the victims alreay dead body.
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#32 Paul_G

Paul_G

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:54 AM

You would think that with the rise in obesity that cases which could be diagnosed as SHC would also increase. I wonder why most cases seem to hit the elderly? Overweight people would die of the same sudden things, only at a younger age. Maybe the body fat percentage has to be just so, also.

Ya... I'd be skeptical of anything I read in an Unexplained type book. I first learned about SHC from them, too. They mostly gave anecdotal evidence and showed a couple of well publicized pictures, both of which were on the sites mentioned before. I don't think they even mentioned the possibility of a candle wick effect, only that it was 'Unexplained' and 'Creepy'... and after all, it wouldn't be a very good unexplained book if they looked for and found explanations. It would be a science book, and they don't sell quite as well. :)

#33 MrGrey

MrGrey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, mountain biking and general fitness, and ofcourse anything supernaturel, and now also Red vs Blue.

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:57 AM

This site has some interesting theory's, and im still looking for that book though, i know i ogt it somewhere. :) ......

SHC site
You're sorta stuck where you areBut, in your dreams you can buy expensive cars,or live on mars and have it your wayAnd you hate your boss at your jobwell in your dreams you can blow his head offin your dreams show no mercy]Posted Image

#34 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,386 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:58 AM

so why are the Sumo wrestlers not burning themselves to death?

I guess there is more to it that mere fat and gas lol. It could be some irregular body functioning that can generate excess heat within that can lead to Peter's theory of candle effect. Some irregular metabolic process.
Posted Image

#35 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:00 PM

Becuase they are not dropping dead with cigarettes in their hands Moon.

I am sure there are other similar cases, it's just that the investigators found the cause and so it doesn't raise a red flag.
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#36 MrGrey

MrGrey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, mountain biking and general fitness, and ofcourse anything supernaturel, and now also Red vs Blue.

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:03 PM

hey go to the site i just posted, it had theory's on the explanation, also has what they call Witness burnings where people have burst into flames right infront of people. :)
You're sorta stuck where you areBut, in your dreams you can buy expensive cars,or live on mars and have it your wayAnd you hate your boss at your jobwell in your dreams you can blow his head offin your dreams show no mercy]Posted Image

#37 plindboe

plindboe

Has a pseudoscience radar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:I'm an atheist and a skeptic regarding paranormal beliefs, but nonetheless I find other people's belief systems fascinating. I think it's important for people who hold different beliefs to discuss with, and learn from, one another. The free exchange of ideas are essential to progress, and it's no coincidence that mankind's two greatest ideas, democracy and science, are based on this.<br /><br />Feel free to message me, if you want to talk. :)

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:22 PM

hey go to the site i just posted, it had theory's on the explanation, also has what they call Witness burnings where people have burst into flames right infront of people. :D

Nice site about this subject. Seems like a very reasonable and open minded person that fellow. He seems to agree with me about the witnessed accounts:

"Unfortunately, most of the known cases of this type are poorly documented and basically unconfirmed."

That's basically the same words I have used about these accounts.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

#38 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 08:25 AM

Paul G.! How's my tree hugging liberal doing???!! Missed ya!

Secretsign, you're too funny! One hot momma!!!!

I'm going to see if Vampchick will dig into this-my little walking encyclopedia- and see if she can come up with the situation I cited about the woman SHCing in front of her husband and son at the kitchen table. I do remember her being thin and being right menopausal age. She wasn't an invalid and I don't remember if she was a smoker or not. This was the only case cited dealing with SHC that I was really interested in. The others were, in my mind, explainable.
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#39 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 08:55 AM

Hey Hawkie, I found this link which chronicles SHC cases. But I didn't see the one you were referring to.
http://www.anomalyin.../ga00003c.shtml
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#40 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:16 AM

Thanks Bridgie! I don't see the one I was thinking about either. I'm going to go check a few network websites and see if I can find the documentary I saw.
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#41 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,386 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:17 AM

Some of my concerns......with the candle effect theory!

there are a number of recent, well-documented cases of people who have experienced or witnessed spontaneous human combustion at first hand and who lived to tell what happened. And the first-hand experience of these witnesses completely contradicts the key features of the 'scientific explanation' in every detail. http://www.alternati...rning-issue.htm
Posted Image

#42 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:31 AM

You found it Moon! She was Jean Saffin, it happened in 1982.

Here's a good documentation of her case Hawkie!
http://www.csicop.org/si/9803/shc.html
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#43 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,386 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:32 AM

Thanks Bridgie..... serepindity, eh? www.dhoond.com is pretty cool search engine. Though not as famous as yahoo or google, but have a better search algorithm in place.

on the lighter side...... but VERY VERY thought provoking! http://www.the13thst...combustion.html
Posted Image

#44 MrGrey

MrGrey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 11:31 AM

Ah great moon :D

I've been looking for a case like this for ages to back my claim up, thank you m8 :D

They were ganging up on me :(

:P

#45 MrGrey

MrGrey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 04:16 PM

these are just two accounts of witness burning from the site that moon found that also adds substance to my claim about the account i read about.........

The case of Jeanna Winchester

On 9 October 1980, Jeanna Winchester, a naval airwoman, burst into flames while sitting in a car next to Leslie Scott, a friend. They were driving along Seaboard Avenue in Jacksonville, Florida, when flames suddenly appeared around Winchester who screamed "Get me out of here!" Scott tried to beat out the flames with her hands, and the car ran into a telephone pole.

Miss Winchester was taken to hospital and survived the experience, although 20 percent of her body was covered by burns, comprising her right shoulder and arm, neck, side and back.

Police patrolman T.G. Hendrix who investigated said he found no spilled petrol or other accelerant in the car. "The white leather she was sitting on was a little browned and the door panel had a little black on it. Otherwise there was no fire damage."

Miss Winchester told the local newspaper that she couldn't remember anything between riding uneventfully in the car and waking up in hospital. 'At first I thought there had to be a logical explanation,' she said, 'but I couldnít find any. I wasn't smoking anything. The window was up, so somebody couldn't have thrown anything in. The car didnít burn. I finally thought about spontaneous human combustion when I couldn't find anything else.'

The case of Olga Worth Stephens

On 16 October 1964, Mrs. Olga Worth Stephens, age 75, was driven into Dallas, Texas, by her nephew. Her nephew parked the car and went to buy a cold drink leaving his aunt in the car. A few minutes later Mrs Stephens burst into flames. She was pulled from the car badly burned and taken to hospital where she died eight days later. According to the Dallas Morning News, reporting her death, she was treated for 'burns received in mysterious circumstances.'

Homicide detectives and firemen investigated the incident and found that the car itself had not burnt, only Mrs Stephens. They also found no evidence of combustible materials in the car and ruled out the (somewhat bizarre) possibility of suicide by self-immolation.

sorry their a bit long.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users