#46 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,400 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 29 September 2004 - 01:06 AM

Jeanna Winchester's case is what needs thinking, even if we deny all the other cases.
Posted Image

#47 Paul_G

Paul_G

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 29 September 2004 - 09:48 AM

I don't have an explanation. These are good stories but I'd like to see an actual police report or something of that nature before I'll think about believing in SHC, you know how stories like this can mutate. I would love to have seen firsthand what the fireman who found Robert Francis Bailey saw. But with those last two stories it would still seem more reasonable to think that the fabric of their clothing ignited for some reason rather then the body itself just burst into flames.

I mean, how many fires in general have unknown causes? If a house or tree burns down and we can't find the cause, no one believes that the house or tree spontaneously burst into flames, do they? They rightly assume there's an external cause that they just didn't happen to find for that particular fire.

I'm happy to see u again, too, Hawk... I've been fine :). It's the thought of seeing your smiling icons and reading your conservative words of inspiration that keeps bringing me back here :weeee: .

#48 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 05:14 PM

The more I read about these documented cases, the less I believe in SHC. I really did believe it was possible before, but now I think there is always some external source that started the fire to begin with.

I agree with you Paul on your house or tree burnt-down-theory. No one ever says it was spontaneous combustion! And so many man-made fabrics are so flammable, it would be easy to get a spark on it and have it combust.

Paul go back and read the link i gave to Hawkie on the Jean Saffin case. There is also a link on that page to another SHC case that was easily explained.

I'm sure after Hawkie reads it she will be convinced that everything can naturally be explained.

Oh Jeez, Maybe i should not smoke tonight in my new chair. Hawkie, if you don't hear from me for a few days, give us a call! I might have self combusted myself!
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#49 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:24 AM

*POOF!* Bridget runs out of her new chair all sooted up!

REMEMBER BRIDGET! It's stop!, drop! and roll!

Where's the link again?

Paul, you know that without my little black rain cloud, the sunshine around here is starting to dry everything out. I need some rain so I can make some mud pies and throw them at you. I'm SMILING at you! :)
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#50 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:29 AM

Jeez, geez! Can't even find the link I sent. It's only ONE page back

Well, since that seems to difficult for you geezer to figure out, here it is again!

http://www.csicop.org/si/9803/shc.html

Oh, and when I set my kitchen on fire, my husband said my motto was "Hop, Screech, and Wet your Pants" That's much more realistic!

:) ;) :D
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#51 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:53 AM

Ha hahahahaha! Now THAT'S funny!

Well, I figured it out. I was smart enough to go back and look, for some reason, (too much vino?) I couldn't see it the first time.

It was A&E! I spent two hours yesterday rummaging thru the TLC, TDC and Unsolved Mysteries. ANyway, I think it's hooey too.
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#52 moonwitch_1972

moonwitch_1972

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Emergency Medical Technician on ambulance. I make aroma therapy products-massage oils, candles, bath salts, soaps, incense, salves, ointments, etc. I, also, write adult short stories. I am a practicing solitary witch. In the near future, I see modern medicine and holistic medicine combining to open up a plethora of wonder.

Posted 30 November 2004 - 09:58 AM

I have not read much about SHC, but always been fascinated by it. It is said that it happens mostly in the elderly and that the body is mostly water. But aside from fat tissue and methane gas, there isn't much that burns readily in a human body. The body has intercell and extracell spaces that are filled with water. When one depletes that cell that would indicate dehydration. What if a person were so dehydrated that their water content became dangerously low, which in turn makes your heartrate speed up causing a much higher rate of electricity, the remaining water would start to boil and the blood gases being the only thing pretty much left had a chemical reaction changing the molecular form and causing the body to catch fire from the inside out, kinda like an atomic bomb were the balance of the electrons, neutrons, and protons are not equal. Could all of these factors mixed together cause such an occurance? We all know that when the body becomes ill the immune system kicks up the WBC count causing a fever to occur while it is fighting the virus, etc. But what if there was an autoimmune deficiency, as well? And it is a know fact that high fevers in the elderly can cause death to the brain cells. Could this be what happens with SHC? Could the body warm up and cause a SHC? I would think so but it would be internal SHC within the body.

It is a wonder how the body can build up with this much pressure and cause the body to SHC. But then again look at congestive heart failure and how they build up with fluid. SHC will always be researched over and over again. The only way they will get actual facts is to see it happen. It is true that the ignition point of human fat is low, but to get the fire going would probably require an external source. Once ignited, however, some researchers think that a "wick effect" from the body's fat would burn hot enough in certain places to destroy even bones. To prove that a human being might burn like a candle, Dr. John de Haan of the California Criminalistic Institute wrapped a dead pig in a blanket, poured a small amount of gasoline on the blanket, and ignited it. Even the bones were destroyed after five hours of continuous burning. The fat content of a pig is very similar to the fat content of a human being. The damage to the pig, according to Dr. De Haan "is exactly the same as that from supposed spontaneous human combustion."

In their investigation of a number of SHC cases, Dr. Joe Nickell and Dr. John Fisher found that when the destruction of the body was minimal, the only significant fuel source was the individual's clothes, but where the destruction was considerable, additional fuel sources increased the combustion. Materials under the body help retain melted fat that flows from the body and serves to keep it burning.
The eyes are the mirror to the soul. They can be masked; but the truth still lies within.

#53 Simmy

Simmy

Ghostvillage Newsgirl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Cars, Animals, Family....LIFE!

Posted 07 December 2004 - 06:54 AM

This is somthing that really scares the heebee geebees outta me! :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users