Haunted Shreveport?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 MurdockPSB

MurdockPSB

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:paranormal research, writing, art, photography, psychology, movies, good books, good music, travel.. anything that keeps my life interesting!<br /><br />

Posted 03 October 2004 - 10:38 AM

Well, after a long absence, I'm back.. in a new city! yes, kicked Ohio to the curb and moved to Louisiana...

So, the ultimate question, anyone know of any haunted places in the Shreveport/Bossier City area? I need to start somewhere...
"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson"The truth is rarely pure and never simple." - Oscar Wilde

#2 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,378 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 03 October 2004 - 11:20 AM

welcome back MurdockPSB
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#3 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 01:08 PM

Welcome back Moonspenders I mean MurdockPSB. Good to have you back with us.
Shreveport and surrounding areas have always been known as a hot spot of paranormal activity of one kind or another. According to one acquaintance of mine in that area, she says all you have to do is be there and you can feel it all around. I personally have never done anything in that area. I used to have a lot of info on that area stored in my computer but have crashed recently and no longer have it. I am hoping that Amy will contact me again soon so I can get info for you.

Here are a couple of sites that I have found that you have probably seen already LOL.

http://www.shreveportghosthunters.com/

http://theshadowland...st/ghost188.htm

http://www.shrevepor...m...se of Usher

http://ghosttracker....membermohr.html

http://mywebpages.co.../Louisiana.html

BTW if you ever decide to head farther south, give me a hollar.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#4 MurdockPSB

MurdockPSB

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:paranormal research, writing, art, photography, psychology, movies, good books, good music, travel.. anything that keeps my life interesting!<br /><br />

Posted 03 October 2004 - 01:40 PM

hey, thanks! I've seen a few of those sites, but some others I hadn't.... I have no idea what cities are close to Shreve/Bossier so it makes it hard to figure out what to rule out. lol

If you run into any people in Shreve, let me know! and if you find out any places, let me know too! I need to update my site badly before I have everyone angry at me and ignoring the site. lolMight have to do some editing... is there such a thing as the Red River Valley or am I going to have to throw everything off balance? LOL

And I'm not so sure Shreve is going to be my permanent home so eventually I might be getting closer to NO... a bit too baptist-republican-unprogressive here for me. Not a place for a ghost hunting writer unless i want to be beaten to death with Bibles. LOL ( no offense to baptists, republicans, or old-fashioned towns and their citizens!!) Soon as I have a steady income I'll be travelling down that way anyway, so I might have to swing over to tag along on an investigation or two. and if I find any places up here that are amazing, you're more than welcome to tag along as well. :-)

Thanks again, my new neighbor who's about a 4 hour drive away.. LOL

Ken, a.k.a. moonspenders, a.k.a. murdockpsb, a.k.a. tater salad ^_^
"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson"The truth is rarely pure and never simple." - Oscar Wilde

#5 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 03:35 PM

Red River Valley, West Fargo, North Dakota.

A valley in Louisiana is called a lake. Mapquest helps on what to rule out but it is still confusing. I have lived here for 40 years and still learning the area LOL. Oh and the bible beatings are just as common place down here too but you get used to it. I will keep you posted on anything I find out, until then Happy Hunting.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#6 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 03 October 2004 - 03:45 PM

Nice to have you back man, well, man of many names! :D! How are things?
Posted Image

#7 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 07:49 PM

Welcome back, Ken!

Aww, c'mon....Louisiana suits you just fine. So many cemeteries....Oooh, I'm jealous.
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#8 trudy_causey

trudy_causey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 10:49 PM

the st. maurice plantation between alexandria and shreveport. there are other hauntedn places but most of them are near new orleans. I have a book with some of these places mentioned that are haunted most are spread out all over La.

#9 MurdockPSB

MurdockPSB

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 02:22 AM

Thanks, MoonChild, things are decent... just need steady employment and time to write. lol talked to a local ghost group today and already have plans to help them open doors using my "speak softly and carry a lot of references" technique. lol

Camille! I miss you! You better visit me!!! LOL

Thanks, trudy. For now I'd better keep it to Shreveport and within 10 miles outside town. Methinks another project is afoot! ;-)

#10 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 05:24 PM

I miss you more. HAH! Things threaten to be quite boring up here in OH without you. And your baby, Indigo Lake, will never be quite the same. *Sighs*

Well, if you stay down there for another year, there's talk of the next GV being held around New Orleans. In the meantime, just keep dodging those Bibles (although I hear the more hi-tech ones are heat sensitive).
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#11 MurdockPSB

MurdockPSB

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 02:13 AM

Well, Camille, I miss the valley... but I had one swift kick after leaving:

Orange Frazier Press contacted me, excited about my book. Then, I mentioned having just moved to Louisiana... because of the distance and worrying about marketing, they opted not to sign me on. *sigh* That's how the cookie crumbles....

Well, i can dodge Bibles and Baptists easily... the people are generally so much more friendly here than in Ohio! And yes, many, many cemeteries... you may have to come visit some time!!! ;-)

GV coming to NO?? Hmm... by then, who knows... I might be signed up for a ghost book deal down here and might have to deter everyone briefly for a different haunted tour... I have a feeling I'll be here for a while. My writing is coming to me easier, and there are so many stories!! It's just like heaven... with red dirt, sweet tea, and the rattle of cicadas.....

#12 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 01:00 PM

I guess that means you are a BAD_WORD Yankee now. I knew you would love it, just dont get depressed with the weather. If you dont like it, wait 20 minutes and it will change.

#13 Noona

Noona

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 10:17 PM

Welcome to the Twin Cities. That's what we locals call the Shreveport-Bossier. Just to get that out of the way if I mention that name later on. :D I was browsing the internet for a big of paranormal/local background research for a school topic. Lo and behold I come upon your post. I'm no pro ghost hunter, just a local teen who scares herself and her friends silly on dares. But I know a lot of background on the area. The paranormal of Shreveport-Bossier is a growing interest, even if my Methodist background gets a little in the way at times.

Northwest Louisiana is the former home to hundreds of indians. Namely, the Caddo indians. (Hence the name of the parish in which Shreveport is settled - Caddo parish. :D) Most of the city is filled with ghostly going-ons that I have encountered ever since I was a toddler. Many people like to attribute this to the fact that several parts of the city may have been used as burial grounds. I don't doubt this speculation. Caddo indians thrived in this area.

The paranormal activity I have encountered are calm things. They don't like to make their presence known. They sneak past you and are generally very calm. There are a few sites in town that scare the crap out of me more than others. But we'll get to that later.

The places don't have to have a rich history either. I've had encounters at church, a relatively new building, since it was first built in my preschool days. But it's something I have grown accustomed to and don't mind much. And more than once I bet my mind and eyes have just been playing tricks on me and it was nothing paranormal at all. That's just a human trait.

But I digress: buildings downtown, I'm talking about the old old ones that are now small and locally owned businesses, and hotspots for this corner-of-the-eye sightings. I'm sure they're nothing spectacular to the ones you have probably encountered. Either way, things get interesting. I'll list sites I've visited and sites I'd like to visit in and around the area.

Forbing Train Tracks: Hidden out on Ellerbe Road is a stretch of track that weaves in and out of the woods. Head (southeast?) on Line Av until it turns into Ellerbe Road. When you see a gas station called "Tonys" with train tracks alongside, you're in the right spot. The tracks go from there, behind Grace Community church, over Flourney Lucas, and behind Ellerbe Road subdivision. I forget which x'ing people say to visit, but go well after dark. 9 to 3 the next morning is appropriate. Websites will tell you there are two ghosts haunting the tracks, but there are more. I grew up with the stories of the Forbing Tracks, having not lived far from them. A few years or so back I even started walking down them on a dare. (We were middle school kids, we were amused easily) Though in broad daylight, I felt the sensation of pushing and clambered off the tracks shortly after I began walking. The internet sites say to look for a swinging read light or a "bobbing" blue light. Locals tell you to look for anything in general. I grew up hearing stories of a couple having their car stall on the tracks and later get hit by an oncoming train, but I don't know the credibility of this. I've heard that on Monday nights, if you pass over the Flourney Lucas x'ing, and oncoming car will pass by and dissappear. I've never tested this theory. It's probably just local talk.

The Berry Patch/Pea Patch/Pea Farm: The old Caddo prison goes by either of these names. I've never been out there so I couldn't tell you where it is. I haven't heard much of its reputation for ghosts, but it's probably worth the visit anyway. I'd go out there in the daytime just for the history. Apparently its got cops running by there once in a while on patrol...

United Methodist PAC: This is not a big place for haunts and is not locally known for paranormal activity. I've done numerous plays there though and the downstairs and fly gallery area is just crawling with...things. The giant church downtown with the huge steeple is what you're looking for. The PAC is off to its right. There's no way you'd be able to get backstage unless you broke in. It's still in use. Any who, the PAC used to be an old bakery back when Shreveport was just starting to become a veritable town. The bakery caught fire and many workers downstairs burned to death. The elevator also collapsed, as can be expected. (duh) Anywho, the elevator shaft is by the fly gallery and is just offstage. On the first floor it is sealed up so actors can walk across it to get offstage. Downstairs it's open and is filled with water. The first play I did there we went down their in the dark and threw a rock in the water. Seconds after, the drums in the orchestra pit began rumbling. Also downstairs is a room never repaired since the initial fire. It's closed off and not used at all, though I have been inside.

Ellerbe Road "Satan School" - local favorite and teenager dare hotspot. I've never been inside the school, but have run around it. Even the outside scares me. I've known people to have gone inside it at night just to get a kick. Go straight down Ellerbe road, past the estates and just keep going straight. You'll hit it eventually. In the past it was used for satanic rituals and don't let anyone tell you differently. That's why you may have a crazy farmer chasing you with his rifle filled with rock salt. He lets his cows roam the field around the abandoned school and the groupies would go out there and sacrifice the silly bovine who couldn't run fast enough.

There's so many more, but I'm probably boring you with all this silly talk.

Don't let the Bible thumpers bring you down. The twin cities are the buckle of the Bible belt, but the younger generations of us Christians tend to be more open. Ask around about ghost hunting groups in town. I'm no "ghost hunter", just a native teen who dabbles in scaring themself.

Check out this site. Found that goodness knows where.

#14 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 11:08 AM

Hi Noona, welcome to gv. I hope you enjoy your stay. Its good to see someone else from the south on the boards. There is so much rich history here and its untapped for the most part. Make sure to put a pin in the member map when you get time. BTW I am down closer to New Orleans.

#15 MurdockPSB

MurdockPSB

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 01:14 AM

Well, thanks for the heads up, but fate has taken a decided turn for me...

Friday at 7 pm I'm boarding Amtrak for a long journey home.... another few weeks and I have a meeting with the publishing company.... LA will have to wait, because authorship calls....

I'm comin home Camille!

Ken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users