• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Belanger

Jeff Belanger

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 01:36 PM

On Thursday, September 30th, my wife, Megan and I had the opportunity to visit the Tower of London.

Here's a view of the fortress after we just crossed the famous Tower Bridge:
Posted Image

Here's another view of the Tower of London from on the Thames river. The White Tower is the one most prominently featured in this picture:
Posted Image

In my book, I interviewed Yeoman Serjeant Phil Wilson, one of the Yeoman Warders (also known as Beefeaters) who live and work at the tower. This is not an easy position to acquire. You had to have served in the armed forces for at least 22 years, reached the rank of staff sergeant or higher, be a recipient of the Long Service and Good Conduct medal, and have a character reference of "exemplary" when you leave the service. And all of that only allows you to apply for the interview process. Phil invited Megan and I to visit the Tower of London after hours to explore some of the more haunted rooms and passages and to watch the changing of the keys -- a ceremony that has taken place every single night for the last 700 years!

Here is a picture of me with Serjeant Phil Wilson in the Yeoman Warder's club in the Tower:
Posted Image

If you read the chapter on the Tower of London, Serjeant Wilson talks about the time a young visitor to the tower senses a ghostly presence in one of the back rooms not open to the public and places her fingers blindly onto an engraving that she couldn't have possibly known about identifying a man named "Thomas Talbot" as the entity. Here is the actual engraving mentioned in the book:
Posted Image

The engraving says, "Thomas Talbot 1496." Please note in my book I made a mistake and spelled his name "Talbert."

Here is a picture from within St. Thomas More's Cell in the Bloody Tower:
Posted Image

The Tower of London is a fantastic stop if you're ever in London. Everyone there has ghostly experiences to talk about -- and most of them are first-hand experiences. There is so much history there and so much lore surrounding (and sometimes even within) those walls that it's a must-see for any fame of history and/or the supernatural!
Have you read these books?
Posted Image
There will be a quiz...

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 04 October 2004 - 01:40 PM

:weeee: cool man! thanks for posting! wonderful!
Posted Image

#3 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 01:42 PM

Great pictures Jeff! Glad you had a good time! I couldn't wait to hear about your experience there.

Did it feel spooky being there at night?
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#4 Jeff Belanger

Jeff Belanger

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 01:52 PM

I think I was more in awe of all of the history as opposed to it being spooky. You also have to remember that it is still a military outpost. There are guards dressed in full-dress military uniform with the red coats and big black hats carrying loaded machine guns.

Standing in the small area where the block was used for beheadings was a bit eerie. The area is about 25 feet by 25 feet and a few notable people lost their heads there including one woman who refused to put her head on the block and was chased around the square by the executioner who ended up hacking her to death. Very eerie to stand in the exact spot where things like that took place.
Have you read these books?
Posted Image
There will be a quiz...

#5 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 01:59 PM

Very eerie means? Did you "feel" anything? Or was it because you knew such things happened?
Posted Image

#6 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,367 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 04 October 2004 - 02:57 PM

great post JEFF...it looks eery. :unsure:
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#7 MrGrey

MrGrey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, mountain biking and general fitness, and ofcourse anything supernaturel, and now also Red vs Blue.

Posted 04 October 2004 - 03:59 PM

great pics jeff, looks like an amazing place. Just wondering though..........

Posted Image

What do you reckon, mist??

Or is my imagination playing around with the limestone?? :weeee:
You're sorta stuck where you areBut, in your dreams you can buy expensive cars,or live on mars and have it your wayAnd you hate your boss at your jobwell in your dreams you can blow his head offin your dreams show no mercy]Posted Image

#8 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:12 PM

Probably limestone or Jeff's breath :)

Glad the trip turned out so well for you
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#9 ghosthunter1010

ghosthunter1010

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 10:00 AM

I read the book last week a very good read. Thank You, I have been interested in the tower of london since I was a kid and then as I did my mothers genealogy and found royal roots in the family the ghost stories and history have been even better. Nice pictures of the tower. :)

#10 MrGrey

MrGrey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, mountain biking and general fitness, and ofcourse anything supernaturel, and now also Red vs Blue.

Posted 05 October 2004 - 12:32 PM

great pics jeff, looks like an amazing place. Just wondering though..........

Posted Image

What do you reckon, mist??

Or is my imagination playing around with the limestone?? :)

Ok at first i was just messing around with something that just looked like mist, but the more i look at it the more i think it could be, possibly?? :huh:

Give credit for enthusiasm :weeee:
You're sorta stuck where you areBut, in your dreams you can buy expensive cars,or live on mars and have it your wayAnd you hate your boss at your jobwell in your dreams you can blow his head offin your dreams show no mercy]Posted Image

#11 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 12:36 PM

good eyes Grey! You know, am still an ameteur to locate anomalies! Good job matey!
Posted Image

#12 SpectralSpy

SpectralSpy

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 06:58 PM

Cool stuff Jeff,and I remember hearing that story of the Executioner chasing that woman around with a huge axe.Totally brutal.Tower of London is quite an imposing structure with a remarkable history.

I hope to one day visit the UK and spend a couple of nights in several of the haunted Castles doing investigations.That would be awesome.
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.It is the source of all true art and science.He to whom this emotion is a stranger,who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe,is as good as dead-His eyes are closed."Albert Einstein

#13 Wind of Light

Wind of Light

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Playing RuneScape is my number one hobby/interest now.<br />www.runescape.com

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:04 PM

nice pis Jeff
-Du Súndavar Freohr-===================================--------------------------------------------Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here and drink what comes out"?

#14 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 06 October 2004 - 12:12 PM

MrGrey,

I see what you are pointing out in the pic. I believe it to be the stone itself and what makes me believe this is the actual corner of the wall. The color is bending with a sharp corner around. Good eyes but I think it is just the stone.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#15 ghosthunter1010

ghosthunter1010

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 06:03 AM

Yes MrGrey I see what you are talking about in the picture also. You have a sharp pair of eyes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users