• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 07:52 PM

Before I begin, this is a potentially sensitive thread and as such, I apologize in advance if the subject matter offends any villager/visitor’s spiritual or religious beliefs, it is a matter of my own personal interest and curiousity.

As a matter of background, about 10 months ago a friend of mine underwent a heart transplant, almost a textbook example of what to look for as far as coronary problems, he’s in his mid-40’s, swivel chair profession<accountant>not much exercise, didn’t pay much attention to what he ate and a heavy smoker as well as a family history of heart problems. Prior to the transplant, he was grudgingly willing to consider losing a few pounds and paying a little closer attention to cholesterol levels.

To be expected the recovery from that procedure was slow and painful, both for himself and the family, but even in his sick bed, there were some really profound changes in him, he was actually planning a diet as far as what foods to cut out-DUDE! This from a guy who lived on Italian and red meat-Now after such a close brush, changes are not uncommon and I was kind of expecting the orders of grilled chicken to change to a deep fried steak sandwich and onion rings within the next few months. So far it hasn’t. What really surprised the poop out of me is as opposed to exercise he was, he started walking on the beach, 2 miles every day and joined a gym, but the change in his regimen was his own idea, the Dr just advised as to what kind of workout would work better.

My question is this, is it a possibility that the heart itself was responsible for this strange change in behavior, or the original owner of the heart. Slightly off the subject, my boss’ wife works for the Organ Bank and told me that she’d heard all sorts of reports about strange shadows and voices, currently we’re trying to line up getting me in there with a camera

Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#2 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 22 January 2004 - 08:50 PM

You pose a very interesting question Drew.  In my opinion if an old sewing machine can be haunted why can't a heart or any other organ from a donor.  It could go either way that the heart changed him or just the brush with death but either way it seems very positive for him.  I am glad that he is doing so well. [smiley=cwm28.gif]
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 lmackey

lmackey

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 04:17 AM

Yes, it is very common for the tranplant patient to show new likes/dislikes, and some have even been reported to be the same likes/dislikes that the original heart/organ owner had.  There was a made for TV movie about this subject.  A woman gets the heart of a teenage male and starts to change behavior from her normal likes and dislikes to his.  

There are other options also, like a brush with death can make a person totally change their way of thinking.  NDE (near death experiences) are also a culprit in this kind of case.  Actually, only he really knows what is going on inside his own heart and head and if he isn't sharing there may never be answers.

Anywho, it's not so much important how he changed, just that he did and now is on a road to better health!!!
lmackey, the (Ghost) Village Idiot

#4 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 23 January 2004 - 08:45 AM

Haunted Organs  [smiley=cwm13.gif]  An interesting thought indeed hehehehehe.  [smiley=cwm19.gif]

While I guess anything is possible and history has certainly proven that in some cases, I find the likelyhood of haunted organs a bit far fetched. This theory implies that the organ is capable of a way of thinking and can carry those thoughts over through the transition from one body to another.

Your friend has indeed suffered a great transition and been forced to make life or death decisions . This in no way is odd under the circumstances. When faced with sudden mortality , one can find that what used to be a toughie becomes a no brainer.

I wish this person well and hope that common sense will prevail in their life long enough for them to find health and happiness.

Just my take,

Rockhauler2k1
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

#5 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 09:46 AM

Hullo, Everyone,
For the record, I am trying to maintain a more clinical mindset on this one, from what I've seen and read on close brushes with death, there are some major changes in behavior
and that's what I would have accredited it to, but prior to the transplant he'd had a number of heart problems and was still only willing to commit to minor changes. Maybe the procedure made it more of a stark reality to him and as such
he was willing to/was scared into making changes. Still, we're looking into the doner's surviving family to try to find out more about his interests and health-related behaviors.

Still it'd be kind of curious to see if the doner was a die-hard health buff
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#6 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 23 January 2004 - 12:41 PM

I agree with the previous posts.  Maybe an organ can be haunted or at least carry some residual thoughts / emotions from the donor.  We've all seen "Return to Me" with Harrison Ford, right?  Not too far fetched.

OTOH, maybe your friend came to grips with his own mortality after under going such a serious procedure.  Perhaps he feels a debt to the donor.  Sort of an "I'll make sure the donation wasn't in vain" sort of mentality.

I also have a swivel-chair profession (programmer).  My doctor suggests a 20 minute break every 2 hours.  During this time I climb stairs or something.  I also force myself to drink two glasses of water during these breaks (staring at a computer, you just don't get thirsty).

Whatever the motivation, I wish your friend the best of luck.

-- the Aloha Spirit

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#7 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 23 January 2004 - 12:59 PM

A history of the donor would make an interesting study indeed.  8)

Definitly an interesting point .  :D

Rockhauler2k1
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

#8 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 03:35 PM

Hi, Aloha, its a good point but I'm guessing you're in your mid-late twenties still in good shape*LOL*If you weren't on the flatland, you'd still prolly be surfing, but I can see your point. The idea for regular exercise was supposed to be playing golf once a week prior to the operation, so the sudden change in exercise habits surprised me, but as you and others said, it maybe a matter of coming to terms with mortality after the op.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and well wishes.

Hi, Rock, okay, I'm a bit lost as I've heard of and even handled items that seemed to have some sort of presence associated*the use of haunted in the thread title is very misleading*with it, but I'm going to wait to see if we can talk to the doner's family :D

#9 Crone

Crone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigations, reading, crafts, Genealogy, Renaissance Faires,

Posted 25 January 2004 - 01:19 PM

I don't think of donated organs as particularly haunted.  I do believe, however, that they carry part of our total psyche, and that part of the donor's soul will continue to live through you.
Still crazy after all these years. ....Paul Simon.... “What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” ....Pericles......

#10 hapeehunter

hapeehunter

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 08:50 PM

I belive we leave residual impressions on items, why not something as personal as an organ.

#11 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 10:03 AM

Hi, Hapee, that's more along the lines of what I was thinking ;D

#12 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 01:34 PM

hey again, whispers my friend! :D  

while i certainly think - as does KRC - that if sewing machines (like mine) can have spiritual energy attached, organs certainly do.

however, i'm going to play my scientifically-minded skeptic's card down on this one and say that the change in your friend's health habits is probably a direct result with a close call to his own mortality.

... but, this is not to say that there isn't something else attached to the heart organ itself.  the shadows and other phenomena may be related in some unexplainable way.  THAT is always possible!!

well, best of luck and health to your friend! :)
Life's waters flow from darkness; Search the darkness, don't run from it.--Rumi

#13 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 01:37 PM

I would go more along the lines with OwlGoddess.  I think it's a scarey thing to have that kind of surgery, and I think it scared him into wanting a change.
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#14 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 02:42 PM

Hey, Owlie, Hey, Akthra, long time no see...I'm inclined to agree that the procedure scared the stuffing out of him, it made it more of a reality to him whereas the heart problems
(with a lot of creative license) could have been rationalized away

#15 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 07:23 AM

yeah, i know PLENTY of relatives that kind of "pooh poohed" their heart trouble until they had to have open-heart surgery.  even after surgery they still hit the breakfast steak and eggs pretty hard.  i don't understand it... unless it was a plate of LAMB and eggs!  ha ha!  :D
Life's waters flow from darkness; Search the darkness, don't run from it.--Rumi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users