Information Needed

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wayne2241

wayne2241

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:Listen to Spooks R Us on the Para-X radio network, Mondays at 10pm eastern time, 7pm pacific. Go to http:www.para-x.com

Posted 03 February 2004 - 05:23 PM

I need references to hauntings during medieval times, any culture, but preferably European. If you have any information please feel free to email me at ghosthunterwayne@sc.rr.com .

MRIP

Posted Image

Listen to Spooks R Us on the Para-X network on Mondays at 9pm eastern time, 7pm pacific time. http:www.para-x.com

#2 ghosthunter1010

ghosthunter1010

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 05:27 PM

I will look thru my books and see if I can come up with some stuff to help you out. :)

#3 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 03 February 2004 - 11:41 PM

What will this information be used for?

I know a few kupuna that can tell stories from way back before the White Man stepped on our shores.  Of course, it was more of a Stone Age culture than Medievel.

As far as European stories go, you can see heavy hints in Shakespeare.  Also, many of the castles from the Crusades and earlier are said to be popular haunts of spooks.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#4 wayne2241

wayne2241

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:Listen to Spooks R Us on the Para-X radio network, Mondays at 10pm eastern time, 7pm pacific. Go to http:www.para-x.com

Posted 04 February 2004 - 05:08 AM

I need to stay away from Shakespeare and look for actual incidents that occured during the Middle ages, not hauntings today of persons from that time.

MRIP

Posted Image

Listen to Spooks R Us on the Para-X network on Mondays at 9pm eastern time, 7pm pacific time. http:www.para-x.com

#5 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 05:11 AM

So, kind of like, finding stories recorded as having happened IN the Medival times.  Like looking through old newspapers or documents of the 1800s for recorded happnings.
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#6 wayne2241

wayne2241

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 05:18 AM

Yup.

MRIP

Posted Image

#7 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 06:35 AM

Hmmm...Lepp Castle in Ireland*the thing is thought to be the Spirit of a man executed in the mid-17th Century*

I remember hearing about the Spirit of a Piper in Scotland, his Laird a supporter of the Jacobite Rebellion, went off to fight beside Bonny Prince Charlie, while he was gone, the English took the castle and lay in wait for the Laird's return, planning to bombard the ship with cannon from the ramparts before they could dock. The Piper was offered special treatment in his house arrest since he was afforded
the title of both Bard and Herald and asked to be allowed to walk the battlements at sunset.

One night about 6 months later, while the British garrison was feasting, the Piper saw his master's ship returning and
piped away a warning as the watch called for cannons to be manned. The Laird and his kin sailed on, warned of treachery
by the Piper. His hands were removed in punishment and he was confined to the dungeons where he died from infection. I can't remember what Castle, but I believe its in Glasgow or its vicinity, the spirit walks the battlements...I think the incident occurred in 1653

There's another interesting note here, the English tried to have the Spirit exorcised, but the minister was unsuccessful
since the Piper was more than likely Roman Catholic and the
minister Church of England :o
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#8 ghosthunter1010

ghosthunter1010

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 06:59 AM

What about Glamis Castle?

It is said that The Lord of Glamis and "Tiger" Earl of Crawford played cards with the Devil himself on Sabbath. So great were the resulting disturbances that the room was sealed up 300 years later permanently.

The second story of this event goes that one stormy night when the Earl was alone in this chamber in the Castle, he called for a pack of cards and ordered his servants to play cards with him. They refused, because it was Sunday. This made the Earl furious, an he shouted, "I'd play with the Devil himself if he were here!"
There was an immediate knock at the door. And when the Earl said: "Enter in the fiends name!" The Devil himself walked in.

Before long the servants heard horrifying sounds coming from the room. One of them tried to peer through the keyhole and was blasted by a sheet of flame. Since then, claims the story, the Devil and the Earl have been playing cards in that room non-stop for hundreds of years.

It is also said that the chamber contains the bones of Scottish clansmen who sought refuge from enemies. They were admitted by the lord of Glamis, and led to this chamber. The doors and windows were bricked in and the clansmen were left to starve to death.

Another story tells of a stonemason who accidentally saw inside the room, the horrors he saw were so great that they caused him to die from shock. The stonemason's wife was given several thousand dollars compensation, and packed off to Australia to prevent any scandal.

Here's the website.

http://www.castleofs...om/glamis2.html

???  Love the old story about playing cards with the devil this is shown on the travel channel and discovery alot,

#9 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 04 February 2004 - 09:54 AM

this is the most well known ghost in the castle of the town I used to live in, Tamworth, England.  Tamworth used to be the main city for the country Mercia, no longer existant...

"The Black Lady is allegedly the ghost is of a nun called Editha who founded her order in the 9th century, her nuns were said to have been expelled from a nearby Convent at Polesworth by Robert de Marmion, the first Baron when he took possession of lands and the castle given to him by William I. The angry prayers of the nuns were said to have called Editha from her grave.

One night in 1139 after a lavish banquet, the 3rd Baron Marmion saw a vision of St. Editha, who prophesied that unless the nuns were restored to Polesworth, the Baron would meet an untimely death. Just before she vanished the vision smote the Baron on the side with the point of her crosier, the wound was so terrible that Marmion's cries awoke the whole Castle. Seeing him so tormented with pain his friends advised him to confess himself to a priest and restore the nuns to the abbey. His pain only ceased when this vow was taken and the nuns returned to Polesworth.

Some believe she still walks the castle and has been seen on the staircase and in the bedroom. "

This one is also from Tamworth Castle, and possibly pre-medevil, I'm not sure how its categorised...

"The White Lady is said to have been captured and locked in the Tower of Tamworth Castle by the wicked Sir Tarquin. But after a while she fell in love with him and is said to walk the battlements and terrace around the castle, weeping over her lover who was slain in the Lady Meadows below the Castle by the noble Sir Lancelot du Lac, who came to Tamworth to rescue her.

Legend has it that the White Lady's ghost can still be seen walking the Battlements and her cries can be heard on the wind...."

I worked for a week in the castle, and though I didn't meet any ghosts it was pretty fun... heard all the stories from the other staff who worked there.  One guy who works there, who later became a good friend saw the white lady quite frequently.

the best source of ghost stories from medevil times would be in folk stories, not the most accurate perhaps, but thats how they would have been recorded.

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#10 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 03:40 PM

Wayne,

Have you done any searches?  Here's a first page from a yahoo search

http://search.yahoo....medieval ghosts
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#11 wayne2241

wayne2241

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 05:36 AM

I've done a lot of searches, but have gotten a lot of varied results. Thanks all of you who have contributed to my "education". I could always use more.

MRIP

Posted Image

#12 jinty

jinty

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 03:21 PM

here is a Link that I think you will find enjoyable as well as educational is of Scottish ghosts some medieval. Have fun
http://tartans.com/a.../ghostmain/html

#13 Baggy

Baggy

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 07:00 AM

Hi Wayne224,
  Most of the stories in these threads and a lot more have been covered by the Most Haunted team on English televion. Over the past couple of years these programmes have been put out on vidio and C.D. and have created a big following.
  If this is of interest to you then you should be able to purchase them through Amazon.co.uk but make sure that they are compatable with whatever playing format you have.
  The game plan for the show is that a team of people spend the night in various places such as pubs, castles, old buildings, and prisons around the U.K. resulting in some pretty scary and entertaning stuff I can tell you- it's well worth a watch.  
  Also if you have access to SKY television then you will find the tv series shown on Sunday and Tuesday nights GMT.
  Best wishes,
   Baggy :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users