Bertha's Grave

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 11 October 2004 - 08:54 PM

Her name was Bertha Maynard and she was accused of being a witch. She was born in 1872 and died in 1910. I do have a little more investigating to do to confirm our findings but this is a really sad story.

Bertha was the woman that nobody liked, she was shunned by the entire community. When she finally died in 1910, she was buried away from the other graves and (as we believe and legend states), in the woods near the cemetery.

The reason that we feel that the legend was correct is that we found a very old wooden stake in the ground at the edge of where about 85% of the graves in the cemetery are placed. There are other stakes in the ground further down but they are steel pipes driven into the ground. Our belief (which I am working on varifying) is that up to the wooden stake is the original cemetery. There is another stone inside the stake that is of a one year old baby that died also in 1910. All the other stones except for Bertha's is much newer. She is buried in what is now a corner of the cemetery on a hill and by the lake like the legend says.

Whispers_Of_Fire is a sensative and he talked with her while there. He got some interesting information that I hope he will share with you.

We were all saddened that her stone stands by itself with nobody around it and also that it has been vandalized several times in the past. As you will see when I get my pics developed, it has had large chips taken out of it and the stone has been broken off and repaired some time in the past.

One legend that is untrue is that you can't find her stone in the daytime. We did find it during that time. Another legend is that the stone appears in different locations but we were unable to either confirm or shoot down this one. It was a very interesting investigation.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 10:13 PM

Where is this place :o

keep us posted

#3 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 12 October 2004 - 05:02 AM

Sorry, I put it on the Title and Subtitle but not in the body of the text.

Lakeside Cemetery, Coleraine, Minnesota is the location.

#4 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 10:07 AM

if i only had a brain..lol sorry about that

#5 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for posting this, KRC ;)

From my interview with Miss Maynard, she was a bit standoffish at first, the sense of her presense was there but distant. In fact she only seemed to take an interest when Krc, myself and K's son were discussing the allegations of witchcraft (given the period and sentiment it may well have been a matter of neighbours being jealous that her crops were doing better or animals and screamed "WITCH!") She confirmed that she was buried 'Far away' from others and I'm hoping that comes out in EVP.

Something odd, in the opposite corner of the cemetary, there was another Maynard grave, no first name, but possibly mother and father, but why so far, were they embarrassed by their relative being shunned or was it the townfolk's decision to bury Bertha far away...and off consecrated ground.

It is a fascinating case
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#6 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 02:19 PM

Myself and gjross have been digging for some sort of death record or even some records of the cemetery. It is like neither of them exist. There is nobody named Bertha Maynard listed with the state death records or the historical society and I cannot find any information on the cemetery at all. We will keep the search going though for sure.

#7 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 02:25 PM

WOW...that's more than a little strange, is there any kind of record gap at around 1910 that may indicate fire or what not that may have scrapped records?
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#8 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 02:35 PM

What I am finding out is that all records prior to 1907 were kept by the individual "agencies" that ran the cemeteries. After 1907 the state kept the records of the deaths. There are other records for '07 and onward so the state couldn't have lost the records in a fire or anything. It is very difficult but we will find it. Unless there were never any records sent to the state due to the witch thing. Hmmmmmmmm *ponders*. LOL

#9 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 03:03 PM

wow this is weired :blink:

#10 Rakshasas

Rakshasas

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 03:56 PM

How sad that probably because she was different she was accused of being a witch...

#11 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 07:12 PM

Hi Rakshasas, welcome to gv. I hope you enjoy your stay with us for some time to come.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#12 Justice

Justice

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 07:50 PM

That is an excellent account, thank you for sharing :D

Look forward to seeing the results of your further research... :)

JJ. :)

#13 gjross74

gjross74

Villager

• NMPI
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:Well for the most part, NMPI is what I spend most of my time working on. Mostly research lately. But outside of that, cars, car audio, and anything to do with racing.

Posted 13 October 2004 - 08:04 PM

Well so far the extent of any information that I have found out is; the Lakeside Cemetery that she is buried in, was Trout Lake Community Cemetery. That was only up until the 1980's. Now it is Lakeside. I am still searching and as I find more info. I will keep everyone posted. :ph34r:
OK, SO I MAY BE OUT OF MY MIND! YOU JUST GOTTA WORK WITH ME HERE! --THE RESEARCH GOD! -- NMPI

#14 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 10:50 AM

Thanks, GJ, much appreciated

#15 gjross74

gjross74

Villager

• NMPI
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:Well for the most part, NMPI is what I spend most of my time working on. Mostly research lately. But outside of that, cars, car audio, and anything to do with racing.

Posted 14 October 2004 - 11:27 AM

No problem..........................OOMPA! I haven't found anything new yet, but when I do I will post it. :ph34r:
OK, SO I MAY BE OUT OF MY MIND! YOU JUST GOTTA WORK WITH ME HERE! --THE RESEARCH GOD! -- NMPI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users