4 replies to this topic

#1 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 27 January 2004 - 03:50 AM

First off, i'm new here, so hello all! And I'm sorry if there is a long running thread that this is supposed to be attached to, but if there is I missed it...

I've lived in my current house for aroung 18 months now, with my parents who are running a bed and breakfast.  Before that it was owned by a small family who left after 18 months, and before that is was an old folks home for polish people, and before that by an old (mad) polish couple (he had been a fighter pilot in the war, and she a prisoner of war, she was deaf and blind, he wasn't much better and he was sure that the russians were going to invade at any time and so bitumened the roof- so that parachuters would slide off it and kept a loaded shot gun in the house at all times).  So anyway, noone is entirely certain what happened to the old folks home, it just kind of dissappeared... then the young family bought the place and they only lived in parts of the building, not exploring much of the attic or even upstairs.  They phoned the police at one point to dig up a suspicious lump in the garden, which they thought to be a body- it was actually the septic tank.
When we arrived we found that a lot of things were left from when the place used to be an old folks home, from wardrobes, to sewing machines, to clothes and medication- not to mention photographs and personal momentos. We found this, naturally, strange- not only that the things were left, but that the family before us didn't move them.
But anyway, somethings we have left in the loft, like wheelchairs etc. we used some of the furniture as well.
You know how in most houses, when its dark, and the wind is howling, and you're on your own, possibly just finnished reading a horror novel or something similar, you see things move in all the dark corners, you feel like your being watched, or followed?  Well not in this house, it always feels safe, even when you can hear the scrabbling in the walls,it feels cozy and secure...
But anyway, onto my point, which has taken a long time in coming.  My mother, my Grandmother and myself have all seen something walking (or in my grandmother's case, riding) down the drive past the kitchen window- just something out of the corner of the eye, that seems to move as you move your head- but in the opposite direction to what you'd expect.  Is that what ghost is?  How would I know if it is? and how would I know how old it is? whether it's one of the old folks, one of the polish couple, or someone from before then.  I think that if it is a ghost, its benevolant, or at least indifferent, but how can I be sure?  we've never seen it anywhere but on the drive, but could it be elsewhere? is it likely to remain there, like some ghosts remain on ley lines...?
What do you think? Trick of the light and superstition? or something more?

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,359 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 27 January 2004 - 03:57 AM

Hello melliotflower, welcome to GV :)
Posted Image

#3 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:20 PM

Welcome indeed.

The first thing I would do is to check local records (ie, library, newspapers,etc.) to see what information I could dig up on the Old Folks Home or the Old Polish Couple. Then I would discreetly ask if there are any pyschics or sensitives in your area. See if they'll pay you a visit. I would also carry a camera around and when I thought I saw something take a picture of where I saw it and the direction in which it was heading. You may not see anything when you shoot, but when the pics are developed something may show up. I've got orbs with plain disposable cameras AND fancy 35mm cameras, so use what you feel comfortable with. Try to use a high speed film though. 400 is my speed of choice.

I would say as long as you've never seen anything indoors you should be fine. The house sounds like it was a place where people had feelings of safty, or at least of being protected in the OPC's case. Good luck to you and let us know what happenes. Once again, welcome.
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#4 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 02:49 PM

Hi mellilotflower, welcome to the village. Sounds like you have quite an interesting place there. If possible could you give a little info on the home such as location. And if its now a bed and breakfast the name would be of help also. I am glad you have decided to join us and hope to hear from you often. I have moved your post to the general board so it can get the attention it deserves. Again enjoy your stay and let us know what you find out.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#5 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 04:15 PM

Hi, Mel,
Very intriguing and it sounds like you've got a haunt or two there. If I may ask, do you mean safe like cozy after being out in the weather or safe as in protected/looked after?

I agree with MykieDave, find out what you can about the house and property, it really could be anyone from the house's history, certainly an old folk's home would have its
share of people who passed and maybe were a little unclear as to their time being up<was it a basic OFH, was it Alzheimer's or a mix>To be honest, my gut says its the OPC, particularly the gentleman, you know, keeping a watchful eye out for Communist invasion, but it could be anything, including something we don't know yet, so as with anything, keep an open mind when you're doing the legwork part of the research. In a very real way, its detective work, deductive reasoning based on outside sources and your own observation.

What kind of activity are you noticing? You mentioned hearing scrabbling in tha walls but is there anything else?
Good luck on your investigation and I hope you'll keep us abreast of events 8)
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users