• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 starryj13

starryj13

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 04:45 PM

Hi all..
 Just wondering if anyone can help a novice very interested in doing paranormal research for a living find good sites to get started. I have always believed in spirits and things outside our usual realm of understanding without question, but only recently have enough experience and inclination to spur me to action. I am in the Boston area, but willing to relocate if necessary. Any help you can offer will be appreciated.
Thanks very much,
Jen

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,361 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 26 January 2004 - 06:42 PM

WELCOME TO GV JEN! I am sure people here would be able to help ya!
Posted Image

#3 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 07:26 AM

[glow=blue,2,300][move]Hi, StarryJ13 and welcome to GV ;D[/move][/glow]

Jen, you hit the right site! This is a great site to learn and share with right cool people who have been studying the Paranormal for a very long time in many cases.

OMGOSH...you live in one of the most haunted cities in the US, with the possible exceptions of Chicago and Atlanta

WOW...make a living? Hun, it depends on Grants if you can land an academic research grant and keep it, but keep in mind there are many people with degrees, even advanced degrees in Paranormal Research who wait tables or drive trucks to make rent and car payments*LOL*Unless you can convince the Federals that you're area of interest is interrogating dead Al Qaeda agents to discover what their next target is or where the Afganistani leader's hiding. Please keep in mind that as fascinating as this field is its very difficult to prove in an empirical sense, but should be approached as a science as far as gathering data and a great deal of trial and error, but every time you capture something on film/tape it makes it all worthwhile, no matter how many times you walk away empty handed.

Good luck, have fun, be safe and I hope we'll be seeing more of you
Whispers of fire

Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#4 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 07:32 AM

starry - another welcome go gv!  

yes, you are blessed with living in a quite haunted area of the united states.  as for going investigating for paranormal events for a living, i would tend to agree with whispers... like painting and starting a rock band, i'd say that paranormal investigation is one of those careers that you have to have as a side interest until you make it big (take my word for it, love, i'm a painter who has another day job, hee hee)...

just out of curiosity, are you a sensitive or a lucky ghost hunter by nature?  

best of luck and a warm welcome! :)
Life's waters flow from darkness; Search the darkness, don't run from it.--Rumi

#5 starryj13

starryj13

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 08:07 AM

Hi again,
  Thanks for the warm welcome. I suppose I chose the wrong phrase with "make a living", because I know this sort of research isn't the most lucrative FINANCIAL decision one could make! I guess I just meant to express the wish to be involved on a regular basis with people who take this seriously and seek out such adventure. This site looks like a great place to start.
  I have to say I'm a bit unclear on the distinction between 'sensitive' and 'lucky' when it comes to ghost hunting. I consider myself both, because I have had certain experiences (affecting all the senses) from the time I was five years old that I did not seek out, yet for which I am exceedingly grateful.
  Even my most open-minded friends back away slowly when I start talking about life beyond life as we know it, so I can't tell you how much I look forward to speaking with you again.
Take care,
Jen

#6 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 08:41 AM

Hi, Jen,
In this type of situation a Sensitive refers to someone who can either see or hear an unmanifested presence<there are rare ones who can do both>whether they were born with the ability or had some sort of cathartic experience, like a close brush with death*LOL*We can go round and round on theories and I don't want to put you to sleep ;D

We have a number of Villagers in the New England area*NE, Mass, Conn, Mne*and-if I may-what I'd suggest is posting in the Groups and Societies forum and seeing if you can hook up
with a group that way. Ja! I know what you mean, the majority of my friends are skeptics or just don't take it as
seriously as I do, or its a thrill thing to them, looking for the man in the mask or to get scared ::)
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users