Sunnyland Hospital

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

Uses WD-40 for evil purposes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:Animals, ice skating, pets, animal issues, historical societies, travelling, and of course - ghost hunting.

Posted 13 October 2004 - 09:38 AM

Hi. I know that we once had a thread about a place called Sunnyland Hospital in Florida. I've been trying to do some research on the place on the Internet. The problem is, I have seen conflicting opinions on the Internet on where this place actually is, or was. Some say Tallahassee and some say Orlando. Both sites give maps. Sometimes I see that it has been knocked down. Other times I see that it is still standing, but condemned.

Anyone have any information? :unsure:
The reason that a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue.Do unto others, then run.Life's messy. Clean it up.

#2 susmith

susmith

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:Photography, hunting, boating, camping

Posted 13 October 2004 - 09:54 AM

I believe it's Tallahassee

Sunnyland (Sunland) used to be a hospital for people with T.B, back when there was no immunization, and people would go crazy without the care they needed. Then it became a hospital for mentally insane people or retarted people that families didn't want to take care of. It was closed down several years ago (at least 15) . The place has had all the windows and doors busted out, but beds still remain made with hospital paraphenalia lying around. The weirdest thing is that the third floor has always remained locked and no one has ever been able to get in there. If you go to the hospital late at night you can here shuffling and whispering coming from up there, and the sound of things being dropped . There must have been one in Orlando also though because reading this site it said children were transferred to the Tallhassee hospital from Orlando.
Here is the website with pics
http://www.sunlandinfo.com/photos.htm
"Those who do not believe are the FIRST to be frightened when something strange occurs"

#3 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:Animals, ice skating, pets, animal issues, historical societies, travelling, and of course - ghost hunting.

Posted 13 October 2004 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for the great information. I am thinking that there must have been two hospitals, also and both closed down. I know that the Tallahassee one talks about students wanting to go and hang out there to ghost hunt, especially around Halloween, but the police patrol regularly.
The reason that a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue.Do unto others, then run.Life's messy. Clean it up.

#4 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 01:24 PM

http://www.fsunews.c...0/3fa0456bae37f

This is one site that I found that lists Sunnyland in Tallahassee.

#5 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 01:25 PM

http://www.ghostmag....andSpirits.html

This is another site which lists Sunnyland in Orlando, but no longer standing.

I'm confused on this one. Anyone have any insight?

#6 travis0329

travis0329

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 09:58 PM

hello all, i made this name just for this, i will probably never use it again

time to set the record straight.

i live in Tallahassee, and have all my life. i am 15, and have been inside the Sunland that is right near Blair Stone Road and Miccosukee Road numerous times, so i can assure you that it exists. It is quite an interesting place, both in daylight and at night, and for any locals, sunset is really nice from the roof...you can see everything. hah. it is slightly creepy, wallpaper with Snow White still up and such like that, cups and cans still in the kitchen. A friend of mine found a newspaper from like, 1980 in there one time.

As for the one in Orlando, it has been taken down, though it did exist and share the same name, it actually was named Sunland first. I never got the pleasure of going inside. hah

i hoped this helped
travis

#7 MadwomanSpirit

MadwomanSpirit

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 01:06 PM

I have a great DVD that was made by a Team that went into Sunland. VERY creepy place. Very sad too. :)

#8 FLJeepTJ

FLJeepTJ

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, fishing, NASCAR, Hockey, looking for single women. LOL!

Posted 21 December 2004 - 06:04 PM

I remember there being one in Orlando many years ago. When I saw the name on here I had a visual of the place from when I was younger. But I can't remember exactly where in the Orlando area it was....
When my ship comes in, I'll probably be at the airport....

#9 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 09:44 AM

I finally found two good books about ghostly tales in Florida. There were actually several Sunlands, but the ones in Orlando and Tallahassee were closed. The one in Orlando was near Pine Hills and was torn down in 1999 after a 23 year old man fell down an elevator shaft. The Tallahassee one is still there, vacant since 1983. I have seen photographs of both. Times from a very sad era.

#10 Guest_Ghostbuter20_*

Guest_Ghostbuter20_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2005 - 04:51 PM

I'm forbidden to see the photos.......for whatever reason.
After reading this story, is it just me or does anyone else find it odd that places like that have really happy names which don't seem to reflect on the attitudes of people working and living there.

#11 armyangel

armyangel

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:50 PM

The names were picked to give the family a sence of well being and hope that all would be well in the end. The names covered the nasty things that went on inside of them.

#12 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:04 AM

Ghostbuter - which photos can't you see? The ones that I have on the link? I can find more....hopefully you can see them.

#13 Guest_Ghostbuter20_*

Guest_Ghostbuter20_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:32 PM

That's sad that people have to think of sunny names to cover up the horrible things that go on in places like this.
I saw the photo from the news website, and that was it.

#14 Markway

Markway

Can dowse the moon everytime that it's full!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:56 PM

:ghost: I've had some experience with haunted hospitals myself, and I have to admit that I was pretty surprised. It seemed like a natural when I was small, but then after having seen so many hospitals, all so sunny and bright, that I put the whole business out of my head until the Amazon.com affair.

I have come to expect haunts in areas of past high trauma, and liminal areas. A truly powerful disturbance occurs, I believe, when the two elements coincide.

Am I the only one to be surprised that there aren't more haunted hospitals?
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
This much let me avow---
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream:
Yet if hope has flown away In a night,
Or in a day, In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

#15 Guest_Ghostbuter20_*

Guest_Ghostbuter20_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2005 - 02:34 PM

I bet they're more common that you think. Problem is, these people who see anything are most likely afraid to say anything in fear they'll either be labeled even more of a kook and have their meds pumped up or suffer abuse in retaliation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users