23 replies to this topic

#1 Baggy

Baggy

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 05:27 AM

Hi Guys,
  My Mother died at christmas and prior to her death odd occurances happened around my house that at the time offered no explanation other than strangeness.
  By far the most bizzarre was when my brother drove past my home and glanced over onto the front porch where he saw a man standing at the door dressed in a long 1930s type black heavy coat with its collar up wearing a red scaf, and black Homburg hat. When my brother stopped to check him out he'd disapeared with nowhere to hide.
   Like me my brother is a no nonsense guy but with the    advantage of being a trained observer for the Army, so tell you what he told me "I know what I saw."
   On the night of her death the family was sat in my home when from nowhere came was an awful groan that filled the room giving no explanation or comfort of any sort.  
   I wont go into all what happened because it's too personal but maybe like the signs of pregnancy and the arrival of a new life there are also signs of impending death that we don't recognise and maybe we are not as alone has they would have us believe.
    Baggy

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 05 January 2004 - 07:21 AM

my dad passed away 16 months ago, and I guess there were too many of such "unseen" things happenning at the hospital at that time. Once, I saw my dad in the middle of night staring at "someone" and screaming that "he won't come and it is not his time" and the man in the next room passed away half an hour after that. Anything that can be made ouf it? dunno, but being in that hospital for over 4 months at a stretch and over 18 months in all, I guess there sure are "signs" all the way - only if we could read then all!
Posted Image

#3 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 07:46 AM

baggy, i'm very very sorry for your loss and may i offer my sympathies and condolences to you and your family.  i am certain that your mother was well loved.

as for the signs of impending death, i can say (as a sensitive and medium of sorts) that you nor your brother are imagining things and that signs come in many forms and often seem unexpected.

some of this has to do with tradition - the tradition or culture of your family.  some of this has to do with your location and the spirits resident near where your mother was living at the time of her death.  harbingers or portends of death often come in the form of an animal, and "audio" phenomena (before or after death - not really a portend but communication nonetheless)...

i'm not sure about the identity of the man / aparition on the porch in the 1930s overcoat and hat.  you might dig into the memory of your family and see if a relative or someone in the neighborhood might have had this appearance.  sometimes a long-deceased family member will visit to mark the impending death of a loved one, but these kind of aparitions can also be a close friend or an unknown spirit that is resident in the area.  

please don't hesitate to share with us any other strange or unexplainable goings-on... often the paranormal events surrounding the death of those closest to us are the most intense, the most real, and sometimes the most explainable!

good wishes and blessings to you,
OwlGoddess
Life's waters flow from darkness; Search the darkness, don't run from it.--Rumi

#4 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 01:23 PM

Baggy...my deepest condolances to you and your family, my friend :'(

From what I've read and seen for myself, its not unheard of for a pre-deceased family member to visit/make themselves known, especially if there's a complication*the person about to die being unwilling to go-children/spouse-or even afraid of dying for any number of reasons*in general,I think
the intent is to help ease the transition. If I may ask, did
you see anything unusual?

I agree, Baggy, I believe your Mum knows she was well loved and will be remembered, if that's any consolation, know that
she's at Peace :D
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#5 Sammy_Da_Cat

Sammy_Da_Cat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Interests:Buddhism, hiking, meditation, Tai Chi, Yoga, reading, spending quality time with my family, and of course the paranormal.

Posted 05 January 2004 - 02:14 PM

Condolences on your loss baggy…

I was away at college when my grandfather died. I had not seen him in three months or so. When I went to the funeral I was told about some strange occurrences that started happening two months before his death. I was told that he started talking to someone but there was never anyone in the room. He also talked in his native language, Russian, when he did this. He died suddenly during the night. When my grandmother found him his pockets were full of family pictures. And I mean FULL FULL! I have a feeling that he knew he was going to die that night and he wanted to bring little remembrances along with him. I wish I could have seen him a week or so before he left. Maybe I could have picked up on something that may have helped.

#6 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 02:49 PM

Baggy,

I'm sorry about you losing your mother, its never a good thing to go through and I know from family expierence that its that much harder to lose someone on a holiday.  When my sister-in-law died a few years ago her nephew heard a cry a few minutes before the amublance came down the road.  So I know sometimes there are warnings that death is near.
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#7 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 03:50 PM

I, for one, believe whole heartdly of signs.  That is where I am the most sensitive.  Baggy, no doubt about it, you saw and heard signs.  In my family it seems before the person dies they are 'visited' by a presence.  I seen a few others post about people who are at the end talking to someone who is not there.  The tolling of bells, odd encounters with animals, people not familiar (like the '30's man) are very familiar to me.  These things DO happen.  

Terribly sorry for the loss of your mom, Baggy.  Just remember she's still there.  
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#8 shtina

shtina

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:Reading, rock climing, nature hikes, Research on the unknown,and taking my kids to their games.

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:19 PM

My deepest condolences to you and your family, Baggy.
    Also, I'd like to welcome you to our villiage. You'll find that this is the right place to seek the unusual and abnormal,so to speak.
    Signs? I firmly believe in them. I, myself, can see people around me (loved ones) pass before they go. Sometimes the signs are to tell us that things will be alright for the loved one. There are times that these signs will tell us of how and why. Yet, other times these signs are ment for the living, a message so to speak,telling us something to do or just for confort. All the way, this life is full of the unexplainable and with knowledge and wisdom we may, in this life time, learn to listen and learn from our surroundings.
If Angels had Wings; Devils had Horns:Then By Golly, We where given Thorns!!!!!1

• Guests

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:40 PM

Baggy, you have my deepest sympathy on the passing of your mom.Iknow what its like to loose a parent on a holiday. I lost my mom and dad on mothers day but in different years. I can tell you for certain that there are signs, my brother knows weeks in advance of a loved passing and our closest friends. But know for sure they are always with us especially in our time of need.Their love is all encompassing and we are never alone. Again my deepest sympathy.
                                       God Bless,
                                        Trudy

#10 Baggy

Baggy

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 06:48 AM

Dear Friends,
        Thank you for your support. When I sat down to log on I was feeling a bit low and heavy, now your kind words have warmed my spirit so let me share the past few months with you.
          I have mentioned to you before that my house has a presence so when stuff starts to happen out of the ordinary we just put it down to the norm and let it pass by till the next time. However a couple of months back I came home exhausted and sat in the chair when suddenly the whole room was filled with the smell of fresh flowers it quickly disappeared and left me thinking did I imagine it. Then as in answer to my question the fragrance returned and went.
           My wife was sat watching television when the scent of flowers wafted under her nose and my brother David told me that he picked his phone up and could smell fresh cut flowers.
             About six weeks ago my wife told me that she woke up about three in the morning and a strange small bright oblong light came from nowhere across the ceiling and vanished. She thought that it might have been a car headlight shining through the curtains but she listened and there was no engine sound to be heard.
              A few days after I was lay awake about seven in the morning staring at the ceiling when the same white bright light came out of nowhere and disappeared. It was oblong in shape and measured about nine inches long by six and it seemed to propel itself along by flapping its tail end, Although it was all over in a flash I can tell you that whatever it was had purpose in its movement- like it was going somewhere. I have been asking myself, did we see true spirit?
             We have been bothered before in the bedroom with orange and white lights shining in from off the landing but nothing like those two ceiling lights.
             My Mam liked to sew and for some reason collected buttons; it was always a bit of a joke with her. My house had stood empty for a few days after her death and when we came back home my wife and me went straight into the living room. After awhile I nipped upstairs to get something and when I got to the second stair from the top there on the stair was a button and no one knows who’s it is or how it got there. It certainly wasn’t there when we shut up the house.
             I told my Dad about the man in the black coat with the Homburg hat and he told me his Dad wore the same style hat and that whoever he was came in funeral clothes. I find him for some reason the most disturbing of the all.
             On the morning of her death I was awoken by three loud raps in the back bedroom and when I asked my daughter, who is sensitive to these things she told me that she also was woken up early in the morning by three loud bags also. In the city where I used to live among the folklore there is a belief that three loud knocks are a warning of death- so it’s anyone’s guess.
              These past weeks activity in my house as been more brisk then usual My wife saw a shadow type man come running down the stairs and run back up again. She has seen him before and I caught a glimpse of him once on the top landing. We don’t usually see apparitions it’s more voices, bangs, loud cracks and the moving of things.  
              The family cat had also been going crazy fluffing up his tail and frantically trying to get out of the house. Whatever was in the house he did not like it one little bit.
               An African tribe man was asked, "what happens when we die?" He answered, “our body goes into the ground and our shadow goes up into the Sun to start a new day.” Let’s hope so.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your kind words.
Love Baggy :D    

#11 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 04:00 PM

*No extra charge, mate ;)*Seriously, Baggy, its a community thing so what affects one affects all...it does get easier in time, the pain of loss, the sense of missing someone, don't be afraid of grieving.

Hmmmm...I've never heard that bit of folklore, but in many instances, my own spirit guides make themselves or their points known by knocking/banging on my door. I want to say the light/orb you saw was your Mum letting you know she was leaving<outbound visitation>I know your wife saw it as well, did your daughter? Your brother? Did it coincide with time of death, afterwards or maybe even shortly before she left? The floral scent also seems to indicate that it was her presence letting you know she was alright. That, my friend, is an encounter to be cherished always :D

WOW...that's really unusual :o that it was her father in law, usually its a family member, so I would have expected your Grandmum or her Da to have been the one coming to take her home. It makes me wonder if the gent in the Hornburg hat
was a harbringer of death rather than there to convince her it was time to go home

Blessings, my friend,
Whispers
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#12 Baggy

Baggy

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 06:53 AM

Hi guys n gals.
           Before I close with this I would like to tell you of the conversation I have just had with my Dad. I hope that it might bring a bit of comfort to all the villagers who have suffered a loss.
            My Father was in town yesterday and after he finished his business he stood at the bus stop waiting for the bus home. After awhile a woman stood next to him and got out her purse and appeared to be looking for something. My Dad moved away from her because he did not want to be anywhere near her open purse and besides he thought her behaviour very strange.
             The woman then started to strike up a conversation with him by asking him directions to the Town Hall registry office so she could register a birth. My dad told her that he could help her there as he had just had dealings with them because he’d just lost his wife and knew exactly where the office building she wanted was situated.
                Then the bus came and they both got on. A few minutes into the journey the woman tapped my dad on the shoulder and asked him if he would tell her his name. My Dad got annoyed with her and said” Why would I want to tell you that?”
                 The woman replied” so that a prayer can be said for you in the Temple.”
                So he told her Joseph B.” Does that include my wife also,” he said.
                Don’t worry about Mary she told him she’s fine and all right.
                “ Do you mean Mary B,” he said.
                “Yes,” she replied.
                 My Dad got all upset and the woman got off the bus before he could ask her how come she knew that his wife’s name was Mary, as he’d never laid eyes on her in his life and certainly would not have told her his wife’s name.
                 My Dad is a very private person and he assured me that he never mentioned my Mam’s name to this woman and that he kept his distance and guard up right up to her asking his name on the bus.
              So there you have it. After some of the stuff what’s happened to the family and what I read in your lovely postings yesterday, I’d like to think my Dad had a messenger and maybe heaven isn’t really that far away from us.
                 Love,
                 Baggy

• Guests

Posted 07 January 2004 - 08:28 PM

This might sound strange, but years ago I witnessed a terrible car accident where 2 young g.i.'s were killed when they hit a car head on. As i was standing there waiting for the paramedics to arrive this strange young woman suddenly was standing next to me, where she came from or where she went I have no clue. But she was holding a bible in her hands and she told me not to be upset that these young men were fine and she would take care of them.When I turned to to ask her how she could be sure she was gone. My daughter was standing there with me and she never saw this young woman and had no idea what I was talking about when I asked her if she had heard what this woman had told me. That really kind of freaked me out because I had never experienced anything like that before.Maybe one of you have experienced something like this before and know what I am talking about.
                                             Trudy

#14 lmackey

lmackey

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 07:02 AM

I truely believe that many family members/ friend make their presence known not only to comfort the one who is passing, but also to those loved ones around the person to offer the comfort that their loved one is going "home" with their family and friends and not dealing with death alone.  You may not recognize the man at the door, but it was his way of saying she'll be fine.

I know how hard it is to lose a loved one, especially your mother.  I've been through it too.  My heart goes out to you and your family in your time of loss.

Lydia
lmackey, the (Ghost) Village Idiot

#15 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 09:26 AM

Wow, Trudy that was great!  Come join us, won't you?
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users