sulphur smell

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 AliceMaude

AliceMaude

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 11:34 PM

hello... i'm new here. i heard jeff belanger on NPR the other day and was intrigued enough to check out this site (which is most interesting). one caller to the show wondered how people 'tune in' to ghosts and such phenomenon... it made me realize suddenly that all my life ghosts and entities tune in to ME... i don't look for it or ask for it. i've had many experiences... way too many to share all in one go. but, right now i have something going on that i have never experienced before. i came home from a two day trip this evening. naturally, i went to my computer to check emails. i began to smell a very strong sulphur odor... it is strongest right here at my desk... and in the top middle drawer of the desk as well. it is very strong... my nose and eyes are stinging and i'm starting to get a headache. my husband can smell it as well... and agrees that it is concentrated at my desk. i had a cat sitter come in while i was away to feed my cat... she has been here many times before. i have had this desk for about a year. it belonged to my step-father who passed two years ago this month. we were very close... and i managed his company for many years... now i am running the company (i work at home). we don't have any gas lines. i'm not sure what other details might be helpful... or if this odor means anything. i just can't seem to come up with an explaination. i sure would appreciate any feedback.
thanks!

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,360 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 18 October 2004 - 11:38 PM

Posted Image to GV AliceMaude. Nice to have you with us.
Posted Image

#3 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 08:10 AM

Welcome to GV!!

:weeee:

Has this happened more than once? One thing you can try is to empty out the desk completely and see if anything chances. The only thing I am aware of that would create this kind of smell is a car's catalytic converter. But, I don't think you'd smell it that strongly inside your house. I've never known a furnace to give off that smell either, accept for a natural gas smell if there is a problem (not burning gas, line leak), etc.

Rule Number 1 of the paranormal, check for the mundane first.

I'd also check for anything under the desk, like in the basement, and also anything outside along the wall where the desk is.

Also, check if there is a vent by the desk there and then check out the ventilation system.

That's pretty much all I can think of at the moment.
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#4 AliceMaude

AliceMaude

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 09:07 AM

Hello NocturnalCantaloupe... thanks very much for your reply and suggestions. I did try to check mundane aspects... although I didn't clean out the desk drawer. I'll try that. The odor is still there this morning... I don't know if it has lessened or if I'm becoming used to it. Anyway, I have never smelled sulphur before. I do have "odor hallucinations" (I don't know what this is actually called) on occassion... but, my husband also smells this one. The garage is on the very opposite side of the house. (Speaking of the garage... I just found out that a woman who used to live in our house killed herself in the garage.) We don't have a furnace and there is no natural gas. We don't have a basement. And my office (I work at home) has only one outside wall... on the opposite side of the room as the desk. I'll checck the ventilation system to see if that is causing the odor. I guess what I was curious about is that if a sulphur odor is significant... I tried to look it up on the internet and came across a few hits... one of which said that this particular smell was indication of a "demon". I don't know about that one.

#5 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 09:16 AM

Good to hear back. I certainly don't have anything for ya on the significance of what certain smells mean, but others may. I personally don't hold a ton of weight with demonology, but then again, one day I may be proven rather terribly wrong LOL!

Here's an interesting couple of questions, do you or your husband drive Toyotas? Do you have reformulated gas where you live? I drive a new Toyota and up here in SE WI, we have the dumb reformulated gas that costs $2.18 a gallon. I took the car in to have it checked out becuase the thing just WREAKED of sulfur. It's incredibly bad in cold weather to the point that it will stink like that nonstop from home to work, then it will permeate the entire interior all day long to where when I come out, it's still smells inside. Gah... anyway, that's my Toyota rant (they just gave me this nice letter telling me it's the gas not the car's fault).

Check the garage or check the cars to see if this happens. It is possible you are getting a "memory smell" that the woman had from her death. Her car may have stunk up like that when she finally passed out from the Carbon Monoxide.
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#6 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,364 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 19 October 2004 - 09:16 AM

hi AliceMaude and welcome to GV. there is a good chance that it could be a spirit. what i would do is take some pictures of the area around the desk (use film no digital) see if anything turns out on the film like an orb of something. after that i would sit there and try to talk to the spirit. maybe you can record that.
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#7 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 09:30 AM

Hi AliceMaude! Welcome to GV! through Jeff's radio interview.

I just did a search on sulfur smells and LOOK WHAT I FOUND!

An article linking sulfur smells to paranormal encounters, woo hoo!

http://www.conspirac.../ufosulphur.htm

Well, I haven't really read the whole thing yet, but I'm going to now!

:weeee: :weeee: :weeee:
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#8 AliceMaude

AliceMaude

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 09:42 AM

Thanks, NocturnalCantaloupe. I'm not used to this forum yet... so, I hope I'm doing this right. Yes, I do have a toyota. But, there is no odor in or around the car... it's in the garage (on the other side of the house). I don't know what reformulated gas is. We're in Florida (yuk). I'm sorry to hear about your toyota troubles... I just love mine.

Thank you kats_god for your reply too... the only camera I have that uses film is one of those disposables (with the flash). Other than that, we only have the digital. Would the disposable one be ok? I've had many experiences with ghosts, entities, spirits, etc... but, I have never tried to take a picture or anything like that. I guess these things have been such a normal thing in my life since I was a kid that I never thought about proving them. I haven't shared my experiences with very many people. It's just that this particular odor is something new and different for me. My gut feeling is that it isn't mundane. I don't even need to prove it... I'd just like the odor to go away! :weeee:

#9 Akthra

Akthra

Junior Villager

• Deleted
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 09:44 AM

Interesting Bridget, though I am a tad skeptical of the source.... no offense intended to you of course.
"Yeah, wouldn't it be great if I was choking on a grape and couldn't answer you?"

#10 Akthra

Akthra

Junior Villager

• Deleted
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 09:47 AM

That's a very interesting view point on it AliceMaude. I certainly won't contest your experiences. I think most Children are learned not to believe in such things- creating the mental blocks that close off most of the population to these types of things. It sounds as though you were never taught that these things were considered bad or "childish" to believe in. Would I be correct?

And welcome to GV! Never be afraid of the people here, they are harmless heheh.
"Yeah, wouldn't it be great if I was choking on a grape and couldn't answer you?"

#11 AliceMaude

AliceMaude

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 09:50 AM

Hi Bridget... wow... that link is pretty interesting (what I read so far)... it did bring up a couple of interesting things in my mind. I have experiences on occassion in this house where it smells like a dead animal for a while in certain areas... I have checked and checked the attic, around the house, everywhere. My husband sometimes smells this one too, but not always. The other thing is that our electricity goes out a lot! We have electrical surges all the time. Florida is famous for lightening... but, it is not always that.

#12 Akthra

Akthra

Junior Villager

• Deleted
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 09:54 AM

Do you have a garbage disposal?

Kats_god, you had a similar situation, have you not?

#13 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,364 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 09:54 AM

use the throw away camera. the flash is fine.
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,364 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 09:57 AM

yes you're correct Akthra...i have something pretty close to this happen to me. AliceMaude...maybe my thread would help you out...its called "ghost in my shower" on the personal encounters page.
and on Facebook

Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 10:07 AM

Yeah you're right Kats about the source. I know there are a lot of unreliable conspiracy theory-type websites out there! I was just so excited to find something related to the sulphur smell. Another source of sulfur smell could be related to water, a hot water heater or well water.

The dead animal smell could easily be a dead mouse somewhere between the walls or under the floor. You're probably on a concrete slab though, right? Well a dead mouse can smell MIGHTY nasty!
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users