• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 spiritdragon

spiritdragon

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 03:12 PM

I think so also Whispers. They were also influenced by the Chinese on thier burial techniques.

#32 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 03:08 PM

AROU?? The only tomb style I'm familiar with is the Emperor's tomb,could you describe more?
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#33 spiritdragon

spiritdragon

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 04:28 PM

The mummies found in northern China/Mongolia. The burial mounds contained animal skins,deer antlers,horses,and personal items.

#34 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 04:40 PM

Thanks, Spirit. I didn'r realize the Chinese mummified their dead. Out of curiousity, did they use bitumen and herbs to cure the wrappings?
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#35 spiritdragon

spiritdragon

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 06:29 PM

Most of them were wrapped in furs and dried by burying them in the desert. The bizarre thing is that the clothes of the dead person retains it's color.

#36 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 09:37 AM

Do they have any idea as to why?

#37 spiritdragon

spiritdragon

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 10:42 AM

Some of it deals with the tempature and the drying effect of the sand.

#38 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 02:31 PM

My bad, Spirit, thought it might have had something to do with the fabric/fiber of the clothing used

#39 spiritdragon

spiritdragon

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 06:21 PM

I doubt that camel hair,horse hair,or wool would have any preservation qualities.

#40 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 06:17 AM

[smiley=cwm1.gif]

#41 spiritdragon

spiritdragon

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 12:46 PM

[smiley=cwm7.gif] [smiley=cwm7.gif]

#42 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 30 December 2003 - 12:43 PM

Moonbeam, so you're Maori?  Good to know I'm not the only Pacific Islander!  I have some native blood, but my haole genes shine stronger, so I had to tread lightly to learn about the culture.  If I mess things up too much, tell me how the Maori do it ;)

I'm not going to talk about Hawaiian grave sites in general.  Instead I'll tell you of the proper offerings when visiting a heiau.  These temples are most sacred.  The very rocks which make up the walls are full of mana (spiritual power).  In the heiau the kahuna had more authority than the ali'i.  The priest would perform sacrifices and the kama'aina lay down offerings.

Different blessings called for different sacrifices.  Good crops demanded the biggest taro root, the heaviest bunch of bananas, or a goodly amount of kawa.  During battles, the kahukna would sacrifice humans.  The victim's skull was sun-bleached then placed on a wall facing their enemy.  The rest of the body was enterred within the sacred confines of the temple.

Kama'aina often brought food or a lava rock to the heiau.  After wrapping the offering with a ti-leaf, they laid it on an alter.

Modern visitors are likewise encouraged to honor the ancients.  Natives look down at tourists leaving physical offerings, so prepare a prayer or salutation in the native tongue.  If you get a restless or disturbed feeling, whisper "moi me ka ma luhia lani" (be at peace).  If you detect hostility (shouldn't happen often), a simple aloha 'oe will calm things down until the spirits figure out your true ententions.  kokua is a simple plead for help, and never forget to say mahalo after receiving your blessing.

NEVER remove an offering or rock from a heiau.  Do not run around or make jokes.  This is a temple.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#43 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 02:39 PM

Hi, Aloha_Spirit,
I've heard of some of the taboos and customs of the Hawaiian Islands...I have to admit, I am very curious about doing an Investigation there.

I agree an offering of food or tobacco or even turquoise to the Loa of the place is a definite idea

#44 UnkleBunny

UnkleBunny

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 12:40 AM

hi fire, and all! oh man! still being a new guy, I hope I don't come off as being too bold here.. but I myself have some pointers.

1. the cornmeal, jerky, and bone offerings,a re a good idea.. however, most indian "burial sites" have more then sjut passed on spirits... so you will want to take an offering of burning tobacoo. light it, right before you enter.. and ask permission to enter. politeness is key here! espsecially with ancestors. as far as the camera, and recording.. keep in mind, that msot Indian spirits so  not understand modern technology. when you are there.. the entire time, while investigating, keep in mind, that Native Americans hold these places to be the msot sacred, of all holy places... so if you do contact any spirits... you must address it, as an honored, and distinguished person.... again I'm not trying to sound arrogant, but these are ancient and powerful spirits, as well as the likelyhood.. you will encounter things, that were never human. there will be a guardian spirit, and it will be very scary. that's his job.. the tobacco will appease him. also if possible, when you go to leave, leave a piece of turqiouse for them, as a gift, for allowing you to visit them.
now as far as protection... cleanse yourself in sage smoke beforehand, and carry a small smudge stick of sage in your hand.... it wo't rip off the wards placed.. and trust me, it will be loaded with them... and the thing mentioned about raw meat... that is paramount... don't even take any with you(like you commonly travel with some, I'm sure) to the natives.. Skinwalkers are a serious thing... and if the wards palced to keep them away are removed, then the spirits there will likely follow you, and haunt you... also, it may even attract a skinwalker to you.

now OWl, I've seen many of these "Black Places" behind my mother's house, in the woods, is an area, that nothing grows. it's this very strange celaring, with only a large black rock in the center...I myself can't even enter it, and I have seen birds almost make U turns to avoid it.... the aura of the place is very strong.I've been there once, at night.. and I had the very real feeling of something, sitting on that rock, staring very intently at me, and I was chased by another Something, through a cornfield back to my land...although I do agree, it may not be evil, just a local guardian.... although, i have run into some reall nasty things out there....

now as far as burial, a lot of times, they did bury warriors, and medicine men, to return them tot he earth. now I, living in Ohio, have had the distinct pleasure of living not too far away from some very intriguing areas, in Southern Ohio.... the entire southern part of ohio is dotted with large indian burial mounds, left by very ancient tribes, so ols, most only know them as Mound builders... the grandest of all, is the Great Serpent Mound.... which is shaped like a huge snake, swallowing an egg. in them, they have found all manners of artifacts, and bones...the reasoning they buried the warriors with all his weapons, was so he could have them in the Beyond.

Paul.... no offense to your ex, but if she didn't know what she was doing,s he shouldn't have done the sweat lodge to begin with... a sweat lodge, is used to purify the body for vision quests, and such.... she's lucky she' didn't attact something worse...

#45 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 07:06 AM

Hey, Unkle Bunny,
You did not sound arrogant at all and I deeply appreciate your insights and suggestions as to how to proceed, as I am grateful to anyone else who offered advice or suggestions in approaching the presences there. Asking permission is basic for me as well as explaining why I'm there before I enter*snickers*Not to worry, I'm a lot nicer and more formal to the dead than I am the living [smiley=cwm20.gif]

Out of curiousity, do you know anything about the Shoshone culture?

*LOL*DANG...there goes the package of cubed steaks I was planning on as an accessory to my hunting clothes...sorry, couldn't help myself, man. I'm not really familiar with Native American culture aside from Navajo friends and working with the Nez Perces, but I will be cautious and spend more time listening*well reassuring them about the equiptment, too

Thanks, Unk,
Whispers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users