• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 boombalu

boombalu

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 08:21 PM

Has anyone had any first hand investigation of Harold Parker State Forest in Andover MA. I know the Andover side has historic homes and underground railroad history, small graveyard off Jenkins road. Also suicide (burning) in late 80's toward North Andover part of forest. Many trails through old soapstone mill now open to public. Hoping to go to historic society next saturday to start research on Harold Parker Road properties.
If anyone has info I would be very interested, or would like me to share info I may find.

#2 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 02 November 2004 - 08:32 AM

hey...welocme to GV boombalu. :D wish i could help but i'm from michigan.
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#3 boombalu

boombalu

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 07:55 PM

thanks anyway kat. Hope you have lots of fun creepy places to explore in your neck of the country! Also thank you for the warm welcome.

#4 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Lighthouses, Suprnatural, Photography, Cemeteries, Abandon Buildings (especially Hospitals, or Insane Asylums), learning new things...

Posted 06 November 2004 - 10:25 AM

I used to camp there as a kid (yes I was a kid Once) and took my own kids there not too long ago there as they were growing up (ok maybe it was a while longer than i'm thinking it was but give me a break here ok). Anyway... there's a pond or lake that everyone fishes and swims in that is suppose to be bottomless or something. Alot of people have drownd there. Both children and adults. Theres suppose to be alot of haunted history behind it and an American Indian Legand too. There is alot of American Indian legands in that area as I'm sure you can imagian. The Park Rangers used to be willing to give you alot of infomation on the American Indian aspect of the place but were discouraged from speaking about the haunted aspect of it. We got pretty friendly with a few of them from going there so often ( I'm sure bing 4 ft 11 in 100 pound soaking wet and personality full of fun didn't hurt either.) they would come up afeter thier shift was over and party and we would talk alot about all kinds of stuff that went on there. We would tell them about the stuff that happened to us and they would not only validate it they would run with it. Even after I got married and had kids and went there it was like that.

So as your poking around and looking up things, I'd be interested in hearing what you find. Keep posting.
Life, you gotta love it, the humor of it all! After all, isn't that what life is, one big joke???Dodie

#5 Yankeeblue65

Yankeeblue65

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:U.S. Civil War, reenacting Civil War. Beatles fan. Historic places.

Posted 06 November 2004 - 07:45 PM

Where is that place? I'm in Haverhill, not far from Andover.

Bill

#6 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Lighthouses, Suprnatural, Photography, Cemeteries, Abandon Buildings (especially Hospitals, or Insane Asylums), learning new things...

Posted 07 November 2004 - 02:37 AM

I can't tell you exactlly, I'm real bad with directions, and I have't been there in a long time. All I can tell you is to maybe try Map Quest or something like that.

You used to be able to get day passes and just fish and picknic or get overnight to week passes and camp. I don't know how it is now though. It's a pretty big place though. Let me know if you find it.
Life, you gotta love it, the humor of it all! After all, isn't that what life is, one big joke???Dodie

#7 boombalu

boombalu

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 06:13 PM

my parents built a house there in the 80's and I lived there for about ten years. Had many strange things happen in the house over the years, now for some reason I find activity really pickes up when I in or on the property. Use to be just yells and foot stomping kind of thing. Now activity is focused on inside main foyer of house. Nothing that will hurt anyone i think but will raise all the hair on your neck!
Funny you should say Indians, we used to "joke" about that to explain a few things away over the years.
To get to Harold parker take rt 125 to state police barrcks, go through stone gates. That is harold parker road. to get to camping area follow to Jenkins rd and take right. The camping area will be on the right less than a mile down road. Although closed for the season, you can park outside gates and walk through. Many people walk dogs etc on weekends. Nice walking area.
Didnt make it to historical society this saturday, hoping for next saturday. will keep everyone posted on what i find. Have to spend lots of time at the house this month, day and night time visits!

#8 wakywitch

wakywitch

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 06:23 PM

Is this is a STATE park, you can go to
www.mass.gov and find out where it is.

#9 boombalu

boombalu

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 06:30 PM

yes, i just looked it up. Take note that there are two major entrances into the forest, one is rt 114 (turnpike st.) on the north andover side, and from rt 125 , at the state police barracks in andover (near rt 93). The anover entrance is closer to the camping area.
www.mass.gov/dem/parks/harp
should bring you to the right page on the website.
Wow! just browsed through the page, they really make the old forest look really good! They just forgot to mention the indians, slaves and 1650 farmers just may be still lingering in some spots! :weeee:

#10 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 07:17 AM

Really is an interesting place, isn't it! I used to love it up there. Weird things did happen all the time too, almost anywhere you went in that park. Like I said though, Rangers and Officials were really discouraged from talking about anything to do with hauntings or weird stuff that went on there. It didn't stop the stuff from happening though.

#11 boombalu

boombalu

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:20 PM

The husband was in the forest tonight to visit my family. Driving out the dog (loves car rides) needs to stop for a potty break before the long ride home. Husband pulls over in one of the trail parking areas and walks the dog. Although my husband hears no critters in crunchy leaves in woods,dog looks into dark woods & all hair on her back goes up and hides behind my husband. This is the same dog that lives to chase squirrels, birds, and neighborhood cats. Its been over an hour since they have been home and the poor dog is still not right. Wants to hide in upstairs bedroom, wont play, head down, sniffing the air, pacing, just acting weird!!!!
Wonder if she sniffed a big animal out there or something really spooked her.

#12 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:51 PM

The scent of a big cat will do that to dogs. In the morning when the sun is up and it can see that nothing is there to harm it all will be better. They also say that bigfoot has that effect on dogs. Who knows.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#13 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 07:25 AM

Let us know how the poor pup's doing, OK, Interesting story too by the way.

#14 boombalu

boombalu

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 08:14 PM

The poor dog ended up sleeping on my legs in bed last night (rare, she really likes to spread out on her own bed) and spending the morning refusing to come out of the bedroom, she seems to be snapping out of it. Got a nice bath (which she loves), and lots of love today. Still jumpy and sniffing the air.
If she is not 100% tomorrow may have to bring her to the vet to make sure she is not getting sick.
Drove through the forest myself tonight. Nothing strange spooky or otherwise tonight. very peaceful.

#15 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 06:49 PM

I'm happy to hear that and hope the pup is better now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users