• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 10:21 AM

On my last hunt in San Luis, my camera died, it was a little Wall-mart special, but got me some cool captures while he lived. The bad thing is I didn't know he died after
the second shot I took*I shot 5 rolls*one of which was of a spirit in front of a Mausoleum...[glow=blue,2,300]DUDE[/glow] I asked if I could take his picture and he was-on my skin-actually preening, straightening his jacket, tamping his mustaches, even my sister who could walk into the middle of a -2 cold spot and not feel anything felt that something was there and I was all into my little snoopy
dance of joy for the potential capture.

Unfortunately, when the pics came back from Walgreens, there
were only two pictures and the rest were totally blank, re-wound, but blank [smiley=cwm3.gif]

Okay, enough of my tale of woe, it was a setback and this area of study requires perservereance and patience, I was just wondering what kind of film camera you all use since I'm in the market for a new one
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#2 mastermind73

mastermind73

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 11:13 AM

I have a Canon EOS Rebel 2001.  It's a great film camera once you figure out how to disable a lot of the automatic stuff that is set up on it.  I prefer to be able to control every aspect of my photos, so originally this highly automated model was not the right choice for me.  After a couple of hours of studying the manual, and a couple of e-mails back and forth from Canon I figured it out.  Now I would never part with it.   ;D

I also use an old Minolta XG-1 SLR from the early 80's... that's still my favorite camera.  If you are looking for a manual SLR, I would say that either a used Minolta or a used Nikon would be the best way to go.  Many of those old SLR models from the 70's and 80's are still superior to anything you can buy today.  Check out this link for more info and comparisons of old cameras to new:

http://www.photo.net...t/35mm/old-slrs

The great thing about buying a used camera is that it will only cost you a tiny fraction of what it would cost to buy a new one, leaving more money for things like lenses, filters, and other accesories.
"If dreams are like movies, Then memories are films about ghosts.You can never escape, you can only move south down the coast.""Don't you remember when we were young, and we wanted to set the world on fire?'Cause I still am, and I still do."

#3 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 12:22 PM

Hi, Mastermind,
That's a really good idea, thanks. Um...accessories? Oh, my friend, I am the RANKEST of amateurs and very possibly, the most tech retarded person in the world [smiley=cwm20.gif] so
simple is WAY good.

It sounds like you take your photography very seriously, not just as a paranormal investigator, like professional or a very dedicated hobbyist
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#4 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 01:01 PM

I use an old Canon AE-1 that I picked up from a yard sale for $5.00 a couple of years ago. I can still find all kinds of extras for it and if I look around I can find those at flea markets or yard sales to. I also use disposables from Walmart and once in a while I will use a polaroid one step 600 for that once in a while proof shot, to expensive to use very often.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#5 Demon_Speeding

Demon_Speeding

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 02:40 PM

i bought a real cheap one its make is style cam groove its not the greatest thing you can buy but if your starting off like me just going around taking pic's of ghosts it'll do. Till i get enough experiance on taking pic's of ghosts and  where. i might spolil my self with a real nice one. But hey the camera has cought a pic of a ghost in the cementery well thats what i think it is ill post one on here once ill know how.

#6 KarenSue1973

KarenSue1973

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Interests:Photography, baking, sewing

Posted 07 December 2003 - 03:02 PM

I use a Polaroid 35mm camera.  I also have used my Fuju 35mm camera.  I like the idea of the date on the bottom corner of the photo.  I will know where the photo was taken.
Peace, love and happiness always!

#7 mastermind73

mastermind73

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 09:52 PM

Hi Whispers.  
Well if you want simple, I would buy a new model.  The old ones have good quality, but they have no automatic settings on them.  My canon still  takes great pictures in full auto mode.  I am serious about photography, but only as an amateur.  I have been fascinated with it since I was a lot younger, but I will not make a profession out of it because I hate taking photos under a deadline.  ;D
"If dreams are like movies, Then memories are films about ghosts.You can never escape, you can only move south down the coast.""Don't you remember when we were young, and we wanted to set the world on fire?'Cause I still am, and I still do."

#8 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 03:04 PM

WOW...thanks, Guys, the feedback is really appreciated. I'm a firm believer that pricier is not always better for what we do, mine was a little $40 Wallmart special but it did get
some KICKBUTT captures and<sniff sniff>died with his boots on.

Hey, Cajun*pardon my ignorance please*but is the Poloroid one step you mentioned a digital or film camera?

Hi, KarenSue...mine had that, too but it was always a few months and hours off. It is a really cool feature, though.

Hi, Demon_Speeding, my friend, don't downsell the less expensive cameras [smiley=cwm1.gif]

Hey, Mastermind, thanks, man

#9 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 04:20 PM

polaroid one step is the one with the $15.00 cartridge (10 shots)that develops while you watch it.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#10 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 04:34 PM

[glow=blue,2,300]DANG!!
WOW, Cajun, that's HECKA expensive...how much is the camera itself?[/glow]

#11 mastermind73

mastermind73

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 04:42 PM

about $19 - $30 depending on if you want flash/zoom/panoramic or that sort of thing.  The picture quality is terrible, too.  I would bet that sooner or later digital cameras will put Polaroid instants to bed for good.

#12 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 05:11 PM

[smiley=cwm19.gif]GOOD GOLLY! I can see it MAYBE if you weren't certain if there was something there, but DANG, if the pic quality is bad, why would you want to use it?

Hmmm...I don't use a digital for investigating for the sake of authenticating captures, but I do like them

#13 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 05:53 PM

Thats about right on the price, and I only use it once in a great while. When I know something is there and I want that bit of proof. It has come in handy a time or two. You can not tamper with or alter the pics from these cameras. But like you said it is way too expensive for every trip. [smiley=cwm35.gif]

#14 mastermind73

mastermind73

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 07:29 PM

The only thing I ever use my polaroid for anymore is to compare so that I can show people the difference in quality from my digital.  I suppose I will probably quit using it all together once it runs out of film.  I will never pay for that film again.  I think the money is better spent on a new cartridge for my printer... or ANYTHING besides polaroid film. :) :) :)

#15 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 09:19 AM

Cajun, I can understand the need for quick validation of a claim/sensing a presence, but if the pic quality is rotten, a mist or orb can look like a reflection even when you know it isn't. No disrespect intended, my friend, but don't you find the quality a problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users