Christmas Goodies Recipies!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 15 November 2004 - 01:59 PM

Hey all.

This year I have been asked by my family to be dessert/cookie/other sweets maker for the family Christmas Dinner. (every year someone different in the family does it, this is my first time....they FINALLY figured out that I can cook, bake and that I'm all growed up....lol)

Anyway, I was looking for something a little different from the standard sugar cookies with red & green sprinkles and quasi-Christmas pudding that we usually get. Original or traditional, and from other cultures as well. (No shortbread please...I have a killer shortbread recipie that's been handed down from my Scottish 3 times great grandmother)

Anyone got any good unique recipies they'd care to share? In return, I will post my special cornbread stuffing recipie and my cranberry/raspberry sauce, as well as the above mentioned shortbread!

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#2 deadzone

deadzone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Interests:I am a Clinical Psychologist, who uses a non-linear approach to helping individuals....Hence, my healthy obsession with the paranormal.....I enjoy debating, research, writing, plays, theater, designing web sites, and graphics, although not well versed in this area, I have fun doing it. I Adore animals and have several, a cat named Cuda, a dog named Skeeter, a horse named Diablo, a betta who fights with himself. I also paint, and blow glass......

Posted 15 November 2004 - 02:11 PM

Basque Xmas cake

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups cake flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon pure almond extract
1/3 cup sour cherry preserves
1/4 cup sliced almonds, optional
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Place an oven rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 10-inch cake pan or spring-form pan. In a mixer with a whip attachment, beat the butter until creamy. Gradually beat in the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract.
Sift the cake flour, salt, and baking powder together and use a rubber spatula to fold the dry ingredients into this butter mixture until a soft dough forms and no white streaks of flour remain. Spread half the batter evenly in the bottom of the prepared pan. Stir the almond extract into the cherry preserves. Spoon the cherry preserves over the batter, spreading it within 2 inches of the border.

Drop the remaining batter by large spoonfuls or pipe it with a plain tip over the preserves. Spread the batter carefully over the jam to the edge of the pan. Sprinkle with sliced almonds, if using.

Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a bamboo skewer inserted into the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack. Unmold the cake and dust with confectioners' sugar.
Posted Image

#3 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 02:15 PM

OH, I'd love that shortbread recipe! I actually make the rolls or bread every year for christmas as well as dessert..dont know how unique this will be but I made it last year and everyone seemed to love it

Chocolate Highlander Cookie Bars

Preheat oven to 350 degrees,
using rack in middle position.

1 cup softened butter
(2 sticks = 1/2 lb.)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
(Make sure no big lumps)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour (no need to sift)

4 beaten eggs
(just whip with fork)
1 cup melted butter, cooled
to room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup flour (no need to sift)
2 1/2 cups chocolate chips
(measure before their melted)

1/3 cup powdered sugar to
sprinkle on top of the pan.

~STEP 1~ Cream butter with 1/2 cup powdered sugar, and salt. Add flour and mix well. pat it out in a greased 9x13 inch pan with your fingers. Bakes at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. That makes the shortbread crust. Remove from oven.
(Don't turn oven off!)

~STEP 2~ Mix eggs with melted butter and white sugar. Add baking powder, salt, and flours and mix thoroughly. (Hand mixer will do the job if you're tired of stirring.)

Melt the chocolate chips in a small double boiler, a pan over hot water on the stove, or nuke them for 3 minutes in the microwave on high. (Be sure to stir the chips or they could maintain their shape ever after they're melted.)

Add the melted chocolate chips to your bowl and mix thoroughly.

Pour this mixture on top of the pan you just baked and tip the pan so it covers all the shortbread crust. Stick it back into the oven and bake it for another 25 minutes. Then remove it from the oven and sprinkle on additional powdered sugar.

Let it cool thoroughly and cut into brownie-sized bars. You can refrigerate these, but cut them before you do. They get pretty solid when they're cold.

OR...I am making these this year *first time making them so I hope they turn out well* seems like a simple recipe

Russian Tea Cakes

1 Cup Butter or Margarine
1/2 Cup Sifted powdered sugar
1Tsp Vanilla Extract
2 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 Tsp Salt 3/4 Cup Finely chopped pecan
Additional Powdered sugar

Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla. Combine flour, salt & pecans gradually add to cream mixture, blending well. Chill until firm.

Shape dough into 1 inch balls; place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake @ 400 for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Roll in additional powdered sugar while warm. Cool on wire racks and roll again in powdered sugar.
Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing. Posted Image

#4 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 15 November 2004 - 05:42 PM

Mexican Christmas Cookies (from "Christmas Around the World" series)

1 C butter
3/4 C powdered sugar
2 C flour
3/4 C nuts, finely chopped

Beat the butter until creamy. Cream in the sugar, beating till light and fluffy. Stir in flour and nuts. Roll into 1 inch balls.

Baked on greased cookie sheet @ 350 F for 12-15 minutes. Roll warm cookies in additional powdered sugar.

Edited by aloha_spirit, 28 November 2005 - 01:26 PM.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#5 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 05:54 PM

Pumpkin Cake Roll by Diana Aiken Blackner

Cake:
3 eggs
1 C sugar
2/3 C pumpkin (solid pack)
1 tsp lemon juice
3/4 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
chopped nuts

Beat eggs for 5 minutes. Fold in sugar, pumpkin, and lemon juice.
In another bowl combine dry ingredients. Pour pumpkin mixture into dry ingredients and fold in until well blended.

Grease and flour a jelly-roll pan. Cover with chopped nuts then pour batter over nuts. Bake @ 375 for 15 minutes.

Turn onto a dry dish towel sprinkled with powdered sugar and roll up like a jelly roll and let cool.

Filling:
1 C powdered sugar
3/4 C cream cheese
4 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp vanilla

Combine all ingredients and beat until smooth.

Assembly:

Carefully unroll cake and spread with filling, then re-roll tightly. Refrigerate.

You can freeze this roll, but remember to thaw before serving.

#6 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 07:25 PM

Willow,

Tea cakes are very easy, also very easy to pop in your mouth while you're supposed to be baking. Ususally most of my ideas come from the back of bags. Will have to see if I can pass on our stuffing recipe.
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#7 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:26 PM

Man...I think I put on a couple of pounds just reading those! :o Keep em coming! lol

Alright, the shortbread. VERY basic, very simple recipie, but man....these things just melt in your mouth. For some reason, I'm the only one that makes them in my family. I've also seen this in recipie books here and there.

1 cup softened butter
3 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 granulated sugar
1 3/4 cups flour

Beat butter until fluffy. Gradually beat in cornstarch. Gradually beat in sugar. Add and beat in flour with wooden spoon 1/4 cup at a time.

Roll out to about 1/4 of an inch or so, cut cookies to desired shape. Prick each one with fork once or twice. Chill dough cookies until firm.

Bake at 275 degrees F for 40 to 50 minutes until firm to touch.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#8 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:31 PM

Cornbread Dressing (I found this a couple of years ago on All Recipies)

1 pan of cornbread (however you like to make it)
8 slices lightly toasted white bread
2 tbsp butter
1 chopped onion
1/2lb diced Portobello mushrooms
2 tsp granulated garlic
2 tsp ground pepper
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup white wine (substitue white grape juice if serving AA members or omit)

In heavy skillet over med. heat, melt butter and add onions and mushrooms. Saute unil mushrooms release liquid and onions soften.

Crumble cornbread & place in large bowl. Tear toast into bite sized pieces, add to cornbread.

Add mushrooms & onions, garlic, pepper, egg and wine. Mix thoroughly, add enough broth to moisten. (If omitting wine altogether, just use the broth)

Stuff turkey or chicken. Place excess stuffing into baking dish and bake @ 325 degrees F for 40 minutes.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#9 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:35 PM

Cranberry Raspberry Sauce (also found originally in All Recipies)

12 oz cranberries
2 cups raspberries (or two of those small flats of them that you get at the grocery store)
1 cup Merlot Wine OR Cranberry/Raspberry juice if serving to an AA member
3/4 cup sugar.

Place ingredients ino large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Use whisk (I prefer one of those potatoe mashers myself) to mash cranberries (when the skin starts to split on the cranberries, mash away). Pour into container. Can serve hot or cold.

This is fantastic on vanilla ice cream btw.....

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#10 tkite

tkite

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Interests:I am a Witch, and practice Witchcraft. I am 36 years old, live in Texas, and want to move to Connecticut or thereabouts in the next few years. I am also a Past Master of a Masonic Lodge (AF&AM). Masons can be of any religion, despite that most are Christian and Jewish. <br><br>

Posted 16 November 2004 - 04:37 AM

Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies:

Buy at store
Grease Pan
Put in Oven on 350
Bake until brown

Take em out and eat LOL

Done.

;)
A Witch I am..... Use the Force...

#11 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 01:13 PM

Thanks Vamp, i'm gonna give that shortbread recipe a test run this weekend!

Masq, gotta love the recipes you can taste test while baking :D

Tkite, I have actually managed to ruin those before, cajun blackened Tollhouse cookies anyone? :)
Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing. Posted Image

#12 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:09 PM

Cherry Peppermint Dessert

1 1/2 C cherry gelatin
3 C boiling water
2 C cold water
1 large peppermint stick, finely chopped
24 minature marshmallows
2 C whipping cream, whipped
1/2 C chopped marshino cherries

Dissolve gelatin and marshmallows in boiling water. Add cold water; stir well. Stir crushed peppermint stick into gelatin. Par-set the gelatin, stirring frequently. Fold in whipped cream and cherries. Refrigerate until set. May be garnished with sprigs of fresh mint.

My family also likes to add white rice (or cottage cheese) before par-setting the gelatine. We have this every Christmas.

#13 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:14 PM

Christmas Punch
(submitted by Darlene Humphries)

2 C cranberry juice
3/4 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin
pinch of salt
2 Tbs lemon juice

Combine ingredients in a saucepan and slowly heat until gelatin and sugar are dissolved. Pour into container and freeze to a slush stage. To serve, put some slush in a glass and top with lemon-lime soda or gingerale.

#14 bathory313

bathory313

So SCARED she peed down her own leg!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Interests:movies, music, mysteries of the world, poetry, art, ghosts, evp, ghost photos, psychics and mediumship, esp, telepathy, psychic photography, guardian spirits, doing something good for others

Posted 04 October 2005 - 12:43 PM

Hey Vampchick, this is a recipe that has been jealously guarded in my family for many years!

Potato candy

Ingredients: 1 small potato (golf ball size or a little larger), 1 box powdered sugar, creamy peanut butter, food coloring.

Boil potato until done. Peel. Mash with fork in a bowl and begin adding powdered sugar. It will liquefy the potato at first and then become like concrete as you add the powdered sugar. You can add red or green food coloring if you wish. After all p.s. is added to potato, turn mixture out onto powdered sugar covered wax paper, and roll out thin. Spread with peanut butter and roll up like a jelly roll in the wax paper. Put in refrigerator for about 30 minutes; remove and slice into thin slices, plate and return to frig!

It sounds deceptively easy, but once it starts to stiffen up on you during preperation you may want to have someone else on hand as a back up stirrer. This candy is VERY sweet and rich.
Posted Image

#15 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:53 PM

Pulla (Finnish Christmas Bread)

Before starting, make sure you have enough time (it can take 4 hours to make!)

2 C milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
1/2 C warm (110 F) water
1 Tbs dry yeast
1 C white sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cardamom
4 eggs, beaten
9 C AP flour
1/2 C butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
2 Tbs white sugar

Dissolve the yeast in warm water. Stir in lukewarm milk, sugar, salt, cardamom, 4 eggs, and enough flour to make a batter (+/- 2 cups). Beat until the dough is smoot and elastic. Add about 3 cups of flour and beat well; the dough should be smooth and glossy. Add the melted butter and still well. Beat again until the dough looks glossy. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a stiff dough.

Turn out of bowl onto a floured surface. Cove with an inverted mixing bowl and let rest for 15 minutes. Knead the dough until smooth and satiny. Place in lightly greased mixing bowl, and turn the dough to grease the top. Cover with a clean dishtowel and let rise in a warm place until doubled (about 1 hour). Punch down and let rise again until almost doubled.

Turn out onto a floured surface and divide into 9 parts. Roll each piece into a 12 to 16 inch strips. Braid 3 strips into a loaf. Repeat with the other strips. Lift the braids onto greased baking sheets and let rise for 20 minutes.

Brush the loaves with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake at 400 F for 25 to 30 minutes. Check occasionally because the bottom burns easily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users