What you cherish from childhood

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 frither

frither

Had delusions of being Superwoman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts
  • Interests:Being the honeybabysweetiepiesoulmatebestfriendwife to Mystic Hippy, being the sister to Bear Dude, computer-generated art, reading darn near anything I can get my hands on, all aspects of the paranormal, being supportive and understanding when my husband communes with noncorporeals that I personally can't see or hear and dancing like no one else is watching.

Posted 19 November 2004 - 07:21 AM

A particular thing and a tradition come to mind immediately for me. The thing is what Porchdog refers to as the "haunted walking doll from hell" <pic of her and me is on here somewhere>. Her name is Bridgit and she was given to me on my 3rd. birthday. I've hung on to her for the past 45 years (yeah, that makes both of us antiques now) ;)

The tradition involves the "Christmas Eve story". Bear with me because this probably won't make sense until you hear the story behind it. I'm the 3rd. of 3 children. Our elder sister contracted polio and died in 1949 during the global epidemic. My brother was born in 1951 and when he was about 8 months old, Mum was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian disorder and as a result, had to have her right ovary removed. They wanted to perform a radical hysterectomy with bilateral oompharectomy (translated into take the whole system out) but she refused, stating that she was told in a dream to not let them. She was a force to be reckoned with on any given day so they reluctantly agreed to her terms.

Time rocked on...........flash forward to Christmas Eve 1955. Mum and Da had been trying during this time to adopt a child but each time, something happened and the deal fell through. Christmas Eve was the big celebration in my family and traditionally, both sides of the family gathered at Grandda and Grandmum McKinney's farm for the festivities. Grandmum McKinney and Mum had made a run into town for some last minute supplies and were driving home just about dark. Mum and Grandmum were talking about Da and Mum's decision to try just one last time to adopt then giving it up as a lost cause when Grandmum turned to Mum and told her that Mum would conceive that night, the baby would be born September 27, 1956, she would be female and would be named Sarah Jane after great grandmum McKinney. Okkkk.......Mum was 36 years old, had only 1 functioning ovary, etc. etc. etc. What were the odds of her conceiving?!?! Uhmmmm.......my birthday is September 27, 1956, I am a she of the species and my given name is Sarah.........Sarah Jane as a matter of fact :D

Every Christmas Eve since earliest memory, after the story of the birth of Jesus is read from the Bible, the Christmas Eve story is recounted. Even though my family is all gone on now, Porchdog and I carry on the tradition. Any time I start to wonder why I'm here on earth, I remember the Christmas Eve story and am reminded that I MUST have SOME purpose!

#32 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,378 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 19 November 2004 - 06:10 PM

back when i was in 4th grade i found a tv show that came on right after school...it was called "THE SECRET CITY". it was the best show ever. it pretty much tought me how to draw. they would do little things through the show like teach you how to shade and stuff like that. the end was the best part. the host had a big wall that he would draw a little bit on every day. it as a secret world. i with the show was still on. i use to draw the city as well, right after i would watch the show. it was a great escape from everything. i have been thinking about doing another one soon.
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#33 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 07:20 PM

I have a warm spot in my heart for Cap'n Crunch cereal....WITH the Crunchberries. I ate bowls of that nasty stuff while watching Saturday morning cartoons.
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#34 little_bunny_bum_knee

little_bunny_bum_knee

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 07:59 PM

These are some of the sweetest and strangest things I have read so far in here. LOL Thank you all for sharing these stories with everone!

Frither~ that has got to be the sweetest story ever! You definitely have something to tell the grandkids when you have them over!!! B)
Little Bunny Bum Knee, hopping through Ghostvillage, scooping up the spirits, and bopping them on the head.

#35 frither

frither

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts
  • Interests:Being the honeybabysweetiepiesoulmatebestfriendwife to Mystic Hippy, being the sister to Bear Dude, computer-generated art, reading darn near anything I can get my hands on, all aspects of the paranormal, being supportive and understanding when my husband communes with noncorporeals that I personally can't see or hear and dancing like no one else is watching.

Posted 20 November 2004 - 12:20 PM

Frither~ that has got to be the sweetest story ever! You definitely have something to tell the grandkids when you have them over!!! ;)

The greatest sadness in my life is that since there are no children, there are no grandchildren :( One of the zillion or so common bonds that Porchdog and I share is that we both were struck with reproductive cancer in our 20's (him with testicular cancer at the age of 22 and me with uterince cancer at the age of 28) and attempts at adoption while married to our respective former spouses didn't work out. Our children are of the 4 legged furry (and neutered) variety and while they've been known to invite friends over, I don't think they and their buds are particularly interested in sitting and listening to a couple of old geezers tell them stories :P Their attention tends to wander after snacktime <g>

#36 little_bunny_bum_knee

little_bunny_bum_knee

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 01:35 PM

OMG, I am so sorry to hear about the tragedy that has happened between you and your husband. I am sorry to have brought it up, but I wasn't aware of the circumstances. I will make sure to not bring it up again for as I do not wish to cause hurt feelings again. Sorry hun! ;)
Little Bunny Bum Knee, hopping through Ghostvillage, scooping up the spirits, and bopping them on the head.

#37 frither

frither

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 07:20 PM

OMG, I am so sorry to hear about the tragedy that has happened between you and your husband. I am sorry to have brought it up, but I wasn't aware of the circumstances. I will make sure to not bring it up again for as I do not wish to cause hurt feelings again. Sorry hun! :P

{{{{{Da Bunny}}}} There's no hurt feelings, darling :) Yeah, a houseful of young'uns and one day, an equally full household full of grandchildren would have been awfully nice but I can speak for both Porchdog and me when I say that we've been blessed in so many other ways. Our lives together have been a grand adventure so far and promises to continue to be so :( Again, I can speak for both of us when I say that every day that we've been given is a wonderful gift and that things happen like they do for a purpose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users