Do you charge for Services?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:25 PM

I'm going to disagree -- strongly -- with sororluna. Charging doesn't make somebody, or some team, professional. NNYPRS absolutely does not charge for service. We do accept donations. But we are also not simply "hobbyists." We take what we do very seriously, and our reasons for doing it are serious.

The reason we refuse to charge for service is to avoid even the illusion of impropriety. We aren't out hunting ghosts; we're going after the truth. That truth may or may not involve a real haunting (in most cases, not) -- and we will not ask for payment for "ghostbusting" for that reason and others.

Also, this is not a job like a plumber or a doctor. The medical profession is proven. People know that they have a septic system, and that a professional plumber is necessary. Ours is not a proven field, and there is nobody who is honest who can claim they know EXACTLY what it is we're dealing with. With the degree of uncertainty in our field, I don't see how a fee can be charged for carrying it out.

#17 Michiman

Michiman

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:45 AM

I'm going to disagree -- strongly -- with sororluna. Charging doesn't make somebody, or some team, professional. NNYPRS absolutely does not charge for service. We do accept donations. But we are also not simply "hobbyists." We take what we do very seriously, and our reasons for doing it are serious.

To say that a group who does this as a hobby means they don't take it seriously is not accurate. My group, we do it as a hobby, and to help. We take it every bit as seriously as anyone else. We investigate thoroughly, and gather evidence for later evaluation. We're not just a "meet up" group. We usually have meetings at least twice a month, and discuss possible investigations, past investigations and investigation strategies and equipment. So, while you can say some people who do it as a hobby don't take it seriously, you can't say all.
Motor City Ghost HuntersMCGH forum"Shoot for the curb, and everything above it is gravy" James P. Connolly

#18 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:39 PM

About charging for anything in this field feel free to charge just as soon as you can put a warranty on your work. If you are willing to take responsibility for any and all errors that you may create, as a psychic that includes being willing to pay for any damages caused should you give a wrong opinion, and be willing to accept damages much as a doctor would regarding malpractice to covcer his mistakes, then charging for services would be acceptable.

Also, for those who are asked to remove spirits from a home, either by cleansings or other means, they should be ready to demoinstrate to the homeowner such a task was accomplished before payment is accepted. After all, the exterminator you hire can show you the dead mice he carts off, should the ghost eradicator show you the captured ghost?

To summarize, payment for services demands proof such services were rendered. That is the criterea for charging, anyone feel confident enough to meet that standard?

#19 WandaC

WandaC

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:11 PM

My group doesn't charge at all, if you want to donate gas money that is fine, if you don't that is fine. Does a minister charge for thier services, JMHO!!!

#20 wuwei

wuwei

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:35 PM

Our group does not charge for anything. I think that there is a conflict of interest in that people are charging for a service and then given the opportunity to manufacture evidence to support it. It reeks of the old spirtualist movement (not much different today, with the likes of Sylvia Browne and John Edward et al). When I call a plumber for service I know there is a problem, generally what the problem is, and if it has been fixed or not after the plumber leaves. I like Caverat's idea of a warranty!

Personally I would like to do a lot of things full time but can't because it wouldn't pay enough to live on! I don't have a problem with collecting donations, if people feel that they have been legitimately helped. Also I think hobbyists could likely be more professional that full time people for various reasons. Think of the rich history of the SPR and its contributions, for example.

There was one website I saw recently - I wish I could remember the URL - but they were selling some sort of ghost powder and cleansings for $200-$700 (depending on the service). Maybe I could start selling orb photos for 20 bucks a pop. And I'll sign it for an extra 5.

Wuwei

#21 WandaC

WandaC

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:40 PM

Not to start anything or hijack a thread I know Sylvia Browne and her family personally and she is the first to tell you that her work is about 85% spot on and she GIVES AWAY PLENTY OF FREE READINGS AND ASSISTING the police with missing people cases, you should see her archives of proof of her abilities, it is huge.

Our group does not charge for anything. I think that there is a conflict of interest in that people are charging for a service and then given the opportunity to manufacture evidence to support it. It reeks of the old spirtualist movement (not much different today, with the likes of Sylvia Browne and John Edward et al). When I call a plumber for service I know there is a problem, generally what the problem is, and if it has been fixed or not after the plumber leaves. I like Caverat's idea of a warranty!

Personally I would like to do a lot of things full time but can't because it wouldn't pay enough to live on! I don't have a problem with collecting donations, if people feel that they have been legitimately helped. Also I think hobbyists could likely be more professional that full time people for various reasons. Think of the rich history of the SPR and its contributions, for example.

There was one website I saw recently - I wish I could remember the URL - but they were selling some sort of ghost powder and cleansings for $200-$700 (depending on the service). Maybe I could start selling orb photos for 20 bucks a pop. And I'll sign it for an extra 5.

Wuwei

#22 z.t.

z.t.

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:26 AM

yes, the warranty is a good idea, I think.

but maybe its like a maid coming to clean your house. she'll clean it up just fine, but the house is bound to get messy again. If she has to come back she will charge you again. That is what I have seen so far anyway.

has anyone ever completely removed a ghost so that it is never to return? I guess this why it should be free of charge, right?
What should be the price to be free of a ghost for a short time? Should I be angry if its only gone for 5 months instead of the promised six?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users