• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 04:47 PM

This may cause a lot of sparks, but just out of curiousity, do you charge for the investigations in private residences or what not?

The next question is a bit less controvertial why do you investigate? Is it the adrenaline rush? Your own understanding? To help others-be they living or no longer living?

For myself, I have never charged and would not accept cash*LOL*The odd Mtn Dew is never turned down, but I do ask
permission to use any evidence recovered*name and address is
[glow=red,2,300]always[/glow] held in confidence.

My motives are a mix, my own understanding of the lifeforce's journey and a desire to help a spirit find peace.
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#2 spiritdragon

spiritdragon

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 05:43 PM

Usually a just enough to cover anything that I don't have on hand but if it is for a friend I don't charge.

#3 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 18 November 2003 - 04:44 AM

I never charge for services either.  I think that is just a good way to get into trouble.  I will, however, ask if they would like to give a donation to assist with expenses.  If they don't or can't it is ok because they did give us a place to research also. ;D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 05:09 AM

I charge a pretty penny!!!!

But that's for my graphic design services ;D

I don't do investigations, but if I did i would not charge. Just having the opportunity to visit a haunted location would be payment enough for me!
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#5 s._maclennan

s._maclennan

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 07:26 AM

I've never done a personal investigation myself, but if I did I wouldn't charge. Just being able to satisy my own curiousity would be enough. And being able to let people know about my findings, of course.

#6 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 18 November 2003 - 08:13 AM

I really don't have any problem what so ever with collecting voluntary donations though.  It does get spendy with all the film developing, gas, audio and video tapes, etc. ;D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 Brandon

Brandon

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 08:43 AM

I wouldn't ever charge anyone.

#8 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 09:15 AM

heh, i'm with bridget - i charge out the wazoo for graphics, character development, and painted commissions... but when it comes to the paranormal, i rarely work outside of my own interests or those of my close friends and family.

i never accept money or gifts (food is okay - i consider that a kindness, not payment) for any investigation or mediumship, and i usually don't practice mediumship or investigation outside of the homes or property of my friends and family.

my interest lies in furthering my own understanding and depth of experience with all things paranormal and spiritual - and with helping my friends who are living.  i'm never sure i can actually help the deceased.

OG
Life's waters flow from darkness; Search the darkness, don't run from it.--Rumi

#9 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 02:40 PM

Hi Guys,
KRC-I know what you mean, the film developing costs get expensive, as well as extra batteries, rolls of film,tapes
and it looks like I'm going to HAVE to pick up a camcorder for my current investigation if only to set up a remote cam in Grover's old room, gas as well in your case since you're like hours away from everything in Mn ;D

Spirit-WOW, that can get expensive as far as some of the more esoteric ingrediants you may need.

OG-That is an excellent point, my friend, sometimes there isn't anything we can do to still the activity and don't forget, food given as a nicety or gift also has no calories either;)

Bridgett-I like that answer, sometimes the experience of being there,of talking with that presence or actually seeing
that spirit is worth it

S-Maclennan-My thought exactly, trying to do a website, so do try to get permission to use evidence for it*going over pics with them, to see if there's something they'd prefer not be published
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#10 spiritdragon

spiritdragon

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 02:54 PM

Your right. It does get a little expensive.

#11 Light Worker

Light Worker

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:I am a psychic medium and find all facets of the supernatural world fascinating. I have obtained a few good evp's in my day and been a paranormal investigator mostly from the standpoint of a Medium's point of view. I am currently exploring Paganism as I am considering changing my religion.<br /> I like to oil pant landscapes, sew, and have a passion for cooking, which I do frequently. I have three, grown, awesome children who all live around me.

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:17 PM

Whispers You bet I charge for services....My career is Psychic Medium and Paranormal Investigator. This is what I have chosen to "do for a living"...I have to pay for gas to get to people's homes, I have to buy materials for house cleansings ie. salt, sage, batteries, camera stuff, tapes, candles and medals & more, I give a lot of my time for this, I write reports, I do research, I may have to visit a library or public couthouse, now if I were rich maybe I could do all this for free, but I'm not and so a fee is incurred. It's how I pay my bills.....I resent so many people saying "Oh, if you are genuine you'd do it for free"...horseradish!....I AM genuine, this is my occupation and people are willing to pay me for my services.....now mind you, there have been NUMEROUS occasions when I have encountered people along life's way who I see NEED help and maybe they don't have any money at this time in their life. So YES< I HAVE helped them free of charge....and I will continue to do this as well.
Second question was WHY do I do paranormal investigations?...Answer: An undying interest in the paranormal and all it entails....as well as the fact that WHAT I uncover in the process helps to cement in my mind that LIFE REALLY DOES exist AFTER physical death. THis is very important....also I want it to be MY mission to teach others that there IS Life beyond death. Light Worker

#12 sororluna

sororluna

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Seances, Mediumship, Ghosts, Hauntings, Psychic stuff<br /><br />University Lecturer in Latin, Ancient Greek, and Biblical Hebrew<br /><br />Founding Member of Psychics and Ghost Hunters of Western Oregon<br /><br />Reiki Master <br /><br />Light Body Graduate (www.orindaben.com)<br /><br />Have studied Parapsychology in my spare time since 1989<br /><br />Medium-in-Training since 1994 (Mainly mental mediumship however have some knowledge of physical as well).<br /><br />Lived in Durham, England for 2 years (my husband is British) and have seen 60+ mediums live in various Spiritualist Churches in the UK and USA, as well as attending psychic worshops and mediumship classes in both countries.<br /><br />10 or more years of personal, detailed, hands-on experience with EACH of the following faiths: Baptist, Catholic, Pagan/Witchcraft. <br /><br />I do Biblical Hebrew (Old Testament) and Biblical Greek (New Testament), if anybody wants any literal translations of paranormal matters in the Judaeo-Christian Bible. My main area of interest however is Latin, which I speak fluently and teach, and also Ancient Greek, if anybody wants literal translations of any Pagan writings. Also fairly fluent in Italian. Two terms of German as well :).

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:13 PM

If you are providing a real service, like legal advice, surgery, window washing, or psychic readings, or paranormal investigations, then of course you could charge.

If this is your full-time job, you absolutely MUST charge. How else are you going to live? You don't expect a dentist to pull your tooth for free - so why expect other services for free?

Those who are in amateur paranormal investigation groups who work with just friends and family, and are so proud to just get into a haunted location - it makes sense why you do not charge. It is not your profession - just a hobby, and you do it because you enjoy it. Nobody pays me to play nintendo or go roller skating - same thing. Furthermore, those who are amateurs are quite possibly not providing a professional-quality service, and therefore cannot demand a fee in the same way - however anyone should take a collection to cover costs such as gas, materials, etc. or you can't continue your hobby very long!

HOWEVER those who ARE PROFESSIONALS (this is their main job) and who are providing a concrete, guaranteed, reliable service in any industry, be it logging, mail-carrying, psychic consultations, or Paranormal Investigations, you are providing a real service, using time, effort, and funds that cannot be justified unless you get renumeration (or unless you've just won the lottery).

What it comes down to is this: everyone deserves to get paid for doing their job. Nobody should have to work and get nothing for it - that is what slaves do!

That doesn't mean that a Psychic or Medium never does anything for charity or helps people for free, however everyone has the right to earn a living. Psychics often charge less or give free sessions for those with money problems, or lack thereof.

But what we are talking about here is that people who CAN pay feel like they should be able to use a psychic's time and efforts for free. Yes, USE. If you CAN pay, then you SHOULD pay. People who do a job should get paid to do their job. Would you build people new fences in their back yards every day, as your JOB, and not expect to get paid? Would you type up legal documents all day in an office all day and be "o.k." with the fact that a certain group of people feel it's "unethical" for you to get paid? No, of course not!

The only reason I can think of why people would say a psychic shouldn't charge would be if they thought that psychics or paranormal investigators don't really provide a service, and that it's all a bunch of b.s. So, these people probably aren't qualified to judge what a psychics and paranormal investigators' services are worth, since they don't even believe in the subject matter to begin with.

To those of us who believe and understand - and in fact NEED psychic consultations - we know that they are worth every penny. As long as I can pay for it, I don't expect to get any service free. When I am broke, my psychic counselors often give me free sessions, and very often give me reduced rate sessions even when I do get paid.

Why should a psychic be forced to live in poverty and get nothing for all their work and help they give people, yet other people get to take home a paycheck for their work?

THAT would be unethical.

#13 Michiman

Michiman

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:58 PM

Nope, our group does not charge no matter where we investigate. We do it for the adventure, experience, chance to learn and because it's a hobby. We have a lot of equipment, but we figure a hobby costs anyhow, so that's how we look at it. We do however accept food... :ghost:
Motor City Ghost HuntersMCGH forum"Shoot for the curb, and everything above it is gravy" James P. Connolly

#14 Cautious-Psychic13

Cautious-Psychic13

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:I am a writer, a wife, a mother of 3, a grandmother of 5, an empathic psychic, and use my empathy to connect with both the living and those of spirit. I had a very near death experience in May 2008 that has brought me back to my paranormal life.<br />I love to travel. To camp. To visit museums, zoos and aquariums. I love to learn about people and places. I have a degenerative bone and muscle disease and expect to be in a wheelchair by the end of 2009 but I love Disney World and amusement parks. I love boating on quiet lakes and seeing sunsets and sunrises. I love hearing from others so write me if you'd like because as a writer I can never know too many interesting people.

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:34 PM

So far I never have because I am a good on the money end of life and most people who need help have seemed in the need. The experiance is worth it to me but people who rightfully need the cash and do thier job have good reason to ask for a (read donation for tax purposes) fee as long as they let the client know upfront. Surprise donations are just wrong.

#15 Light Worker

Light Worker

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:I am a psychic medium and find all facets of the supernatural world fascinating. I have obtained a few good evp's in my day and been a paranormal investigator mostly from the standpoint of a Medium's point of view. I am currently exploring Paganism as I am considering changing my religion.<br /> I like to oil pant landscapes, sew, and have a passion for cooking, which I do frequently. I have three, grown, awesome children who all live around me.

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:20 PM

If you are providing a real service, like legal advice, surgery, window washing, or psychic readings, or paranormal investigations, then of course you could charge.

If this is your full-time job, you absolutely MUST charge. How else are you going to live? You don't expect a dentist to pull your tooth for free - so why expect other services for free?

Those who are in amateur paranormal investigation groups who work with just friends and family, and are so proud to just get into a haunted location - it makes sense why you do not charge. It is not your profession - just a hobby, and you do it because you enjoy it. Nobody pays me to play nintendo or go roller skating - same thing. Furthermore, those who are amateurs are quite possibly not providing a professional-quality service, and therefore cannot demand a fee in the same way - however anyone should take a collection to cover costs such as gas, materials, etc. or you can't continue your hobby very long!

HOWEVER those who ARE PROFESSIONALS (this is their main job) and who are providing a concrete, guaranteed, reliable service in any industry, be it logging, mail-carrying, psychic consultations, or Paranormal Investigations, you are providing a real service, using time, effort, and funds that cannot be justified unless you get renumeration (or unless you've just won the lottery).

What it comes down to is this: everyone deserves to get paid for doing their job. Nobody should have to work and get nothing for it - that is what slaves do!

That doesn't mean that a Psychic or Medium never does anything for charity or helps people for free, however everyone has the right to earn a living. Psychics often charge less or give free sessions for those with money problems, or lack thereof.

But what we are talking about here is that people who CAN pay feel like they should be able to use a psychic's time and efforts for free. Yes, USE. If you CAN pay, then you SHOULD pay. People who do a job should get paid to do their job. Would you build people new fences in their back yards every day, as your JOB, and not expect to get paid? Would you type up legal documents all day in an office all day and be "o.k." with the fact that a certain group of people feel it's "unethical" for you to get paid? No, of course not!

The only reason I can think of why people would say a psychic shouldn't charge would be if they thought that psychics or paranormal investigators don't really provide a service, and that it's all a bunch of b.s. So, these people probably aren't qualified to judge what a psychics and paranormal investigators' services are worth, since they don't even believe in the subject matter to begin with.

To those of us who believe and understand - and in fact NEED psychic consultations - we know that they are worth every penny. As long as I can pay for it, I don't expect to get any service free. When I am broke, my psychic counselors often give me free sessions, and very often give me reduced rate sessions even when I do get paid.

Why should a psychic be forced to live in poverty and get nothing for all their work and help they give people, yet other people get to take home a paycheck for their work?

THAT would be unethical.

Sororluna THANK YOU!....Light Worker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users