• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 a10182

a10182

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 09:11 AM

Hey whats up with the Bermuda Triangle and all of the sittings of ghost there, all the ships that had sunk keep reapearing and the ghost planes were flying overhead.  Tell me something I have heard personal encounters of it for small ship owners and stuff but how come the big cruise liners never report anything of it.

#2 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 09:16 AM

hmm - the bermuda triangle is a little outside my realm of expertise, but i think that the topic was really in vogue during the late 1970s and early 1980s when there were a lot of investigative / unsolved paranormal shows on about it.

you know, a lot of war pilots from WWII and Vietnam also reported seeing ghost ships and ghost planes - and foo fighters / spook lights.  it's not a phenomena that is exclusive to the bermuda triangle -- although the triangle seems to be a focus for disappearance and such.

i dunno - hawkerdriver is a flier of aircraft, so we might see what the hawk says about it... i'm not sure if there is electromagnetic phenomena that wreaks havoc with navi instruments or what.

good topic, tho!

OG
Life's waters flow from darkness; Search the darkness, don't run from it.--Rumi

#3 Paul_G

Paul_G

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 11 November 2003 - 10:22 AM

I'll play the role of the skeptic here too ;D

I've heard that accidents, planes missing, etc in the Bermuda Triangle are no more frequent than in other parts of the world. There are a lot of storms there, which would account for no traces of wrecks being found, and I guess in the old days ships would go missing because that area was where piracy had its golden age. Pirates would steal cargo then sink the ships and ensure that there was little left to reveal their crimes.

There is a phonomenon called the flying dutchman... I was in the Navy and heard sailors talking about seeing this happen, where if a ship was sailing and weather and atmospheric conditions were right, that you would actually see your own ship superimposed on the sky many miles away. I don't know why this is so - I don't know meteorology. But I'm sure a lot of ghost ship sightings come from that.

#4 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 10:29 AM

paul_g:  EXCELLENT point about the atmospheric conditions as a possible explaination of the famed flying dutchman!

there is something that happens in astronomy called GRAVITAIONAL LENSING.  this happens when gasses and gravity in space around one object bend and reflect light to give the illusion of another.  it's been observed and produces "false binaries,"  that is - two stars in orbit.  they know it's just lensing because in other wavelengths other than visual, there is not another star present.

i have a friend who is a PhD meteorologist and i'll ask her what this is.  i know that something like what you're talking about exists, but i'll see what kind of detail she can give me!

OG

#5 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 05:44 AM

Well, let's see.  I've flown over and in and around the triangle so much and have flown with guys who flew small airplanes around the islands and haven't had one experience that I don't think there's much to it.  As for ships dissappearing the scientist have come up with a pretty good explaination. That area of the ocean is pretty shallow and because of where it sits with so much land nearby that provides a lot of silt and organic sediment that settles on the floor of the ocean.  (I hope that makes sense)  Anyway, as the layer of organic silt 'ferments' on the ocean floor it builds up and eventually releases a gas.  When the gas starts to release it causes a chain reaction and the bottom floor of the ocean basically explodes and it's like a title wave from below that is strong enough to envelope not just one but two large ships and sink them almost immediately.  I wish we had access to a ocean liner ship captain who could tell us if they have ever experienced any weird happenings.  But all of the pilots I know that have low flying experience over in the triangle area have not had any out of the ordinary experiences.  Sorry.
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#6 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 12 November 2003 - 05:57 AM

how about Time Slips as a possible explanation?
Posted Image

#7 YankeePyrate

YankeePyrate

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • Interests:History, all things paranormal & macabre, good music, good friends, art, a few drinks...but most of all my amazing son.

Posted 12 November 2003 - 06:11 AM

I've been right smack through the triangle while on a cruise from Philly to Bermuda and nothing happened coming or going. However....one night on the return voyage I was strolling up at the bow at about 1am. I was the only person there, it was a gorgeous full moon night. The neat thing was that up in the bow the wind was strong enough that you couldn't hear a thing except the waves and wind. So looking forward away from the behemoth ship it was if I was the only thing in the world. Anyhoo, all of a sudden off to starboard on the horizon I saw the unmistakable glow of a large fire. I could even see the flames. Looked as if a ship was burning up. This was a few hundred miles out to sea, with NOTHING around. No other islands, no other ships in sight. And it was definitely flames, not lights. Never figured out what it was.
~ Visit my paranormal chronicles blog, "Sarah Haskell's Ghost" ~

#8 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 06:29 AM

St. Elmo's fire could be a possible explanation for that one.  I've seen tht one on all of the planes I've flown and the first time I saw it it scared me silly.  Thought my plane was on fire-NOT A GOOD THING!  All you need is some static.
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#9 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 07:50 AM

aw, the venerable hawkerdriver... thank you for your expertise!

OG

#10 Brandon

Brandon

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 08:58 AM

hawkerdriver, good explaination

#11 YankeePyrate

YankeePyrate

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • Interests:History, all things paranormal & macabre, good music, good friends, art, a few drinks...but most of all my amazing son.

Posted 12 November 2003 - 11:11 AM

Yeah it probably was St. Elmo's fire. So perhaps I was seeing a far off tanker or freighter experiencing this phenom?
Boy, this must have freaked out the early sailors back before science could explain so much.
~ Visit my paranormal chronicles blog, "Sarah Haskell's Ghost" ~

#12 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 11:35 AM

ahoy, yankee!  indeed you are right - entire annals of myth are built upon such lack of knowledge!!

OG   :)

#13 a10182

a10182

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 12:51 PM

I dont know what goes on there but it is very strange

#14 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 15 November 2003 - 01:20 AM

lol guess I am wearing one  :) (sick joke, eh? )

The point is not what is happenning around, BUT WHY?
Posted Image

#15 a10182

a10182

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 02:38 PM

hmm... I dont get it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users