How do you detect a "Real Orb"?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 plindboe

plindboe

Has a pseudoscience radar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:I'm an atheist and a skeptic regarding paranormal beliefs, but nonetheless I find other people's belief systems fascinating. I think it's important for people who hold different beliefs to discuss with, and learn from, one another. The free exchange of ideas are essential to progress, and it's no coincidence that mankind's two greatest ideas, democracy and science, are based on this.<br /><br />Feel free to message me, if you want to talk. :)

Posted 05 December 2004 - 06:23 PM

I would like to know how people come up with having "orbs" in their photos ?

Orbs are indistinguishable from mundane reasons, so it's really up to the individual believers to interpret whether the orbs are "true" or "false". There's no knowledge in the field about what an orb is or what it looks like, or anything really. It's just a big pile of illogical guesswork.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

#17 star_2_glitter_4_u

star_2_glitter_4_u

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 03:03 PM

Hmmmmm

That's a thought..

What about a misty fog ?

Not a tornado rising appearance , but a mist rising from water?

Not temperature related.......durring the day

I know what I mean , do you ? :lol: ..ever see this ?

Starla

#18 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Interests:I love to cook and try new and different recipes. I adore animals of all kinds. Music is another great love of mine. Paranormal and metaphysical subjects of all kinds. Nature, drawing and painting, writing, photography, reading. I am learning how to knit...but I'm not very good at it. The list is endless. The one thing that I don't have a big love for is sports. I wish I could like it, but just can't get into it for some reason.

Posted 18 December 2004 - 09:07 PM

This is a picture of a fireworks display from last Christmas.

As you can see it was snowing , so the fireworks are not too clear.

My question..

I would like to know how people come up with having "orbs" in their photos ?

I am not saying I do not believe in these , but these are all 100% snow flakes but how does a person know the difference ?

Now if this were taken in a cemetary woud a person say these were "orbs" ?

Starla

Posted Image

I am certainly not an expert. But I really believe that I have photographed "real" orbs in the past, and I definitely feel that there is a real difference here. I don't know quite how to put this into words, but the snowflake orbs in your photo lack body and substance. They are lacking nuclei, color and energy, they are almost transparent. I feel that the real orbs are more solid in nature. Some of them even have faces.
:D
Like I said, I don't know for sure...but it it is just my opinion.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.Posted Image

#19 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 19 December 2004 - 03:50 PM

I've had encounters and seen photos over the past 21 years of my investigating. I can tell you that SOs most often emit their own light and are non-transparent/translucient. Many times the light emitted is intense, not in amount of light but in the quality of the light. Spirit orbs can be various colors, most dust orbs are white or gray and translucient.

In low light with 35 mm camera, I like to use 800 or 1200 speed film. 200 and 400 requires flash to take any decent low light photos. 1200 is ideal for low light without flash but 800 will work.

Dust, polen, water droplets, snow (of course) and various other particles will reflect light from the flash. Most dust orbs can be identified by a small speck in the center and concentric rings, like those of a tree's cross section, emanating from the speck. Sometimes the rings can appear chainlike, that is like a chain coiled around the center. The shape of particles can also determine the shape of the "orb".

Also the size and brilliance of the "orb" can vary, depending on how close the particle is to the camera lens.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#20 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Interests:I love to cook and try new and different recipes. I adore animals of all kinds. Music is another great love of mine. Paranormal and metaphysical subjects of all kinds. Nature, drawing and painting, writing, photography, reading. I am learning how to knit...but I'm not very good at it. The list is endless. The one thing that I don't have a big love for is sports. I wish I could like it, but just can't get into it for some reason.

Posted 19 December 2004 - 04:12 PM

I've had encounters and seen photos over the past 21 years of my investigating. I can tell you that SOs most often emit their own light and are non-transparent/translucient. Many times the light emitted is intense, not in amount of light but in the quality of the light. Spirit orbs can be various colors, most dust orbs are white or gray and translucient.

In low light with 35 mm camera, I like to use 800 or 1200 speed film. 200 and 400 requires flash to take any decent low light photos. 1200 is ideal for low light without flash but 800 will work.

Dust, polen, water droplets, snow (of course) and various other particles will reflect light from the flash. Most dust orbs can be identified by a small speck in the center and concentric rings, like those of a tree's cross section, emanating from the speck. Sometimes the rings can appear chainlike, that is like a chain coiled around the center. The shape of particles can also determine the shape of the "orb".

Also the size and brilliance of the "orb" can vary, depending on how close the particle is to the camera lens.

Hi Axman,

I have some orb photos that I would like you take a look at if you're interested. I would really appreciate your opinion. There are quite a few to weed through, so I would understand if you don't want to do this. But, just in case you're in the mood...here goes: Thank you!!!!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

:D
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.Posted Image

#21 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 19 December 2004 - 04:50 PM

Most of those orbs do have the telltale dot in the center. The first photo you show has one just above the rooftop with a bright dot in the center. The fiddler photo has a brighter orb above and to his left. This orb has a darker dot but reflects light just the same. The also have the concentric rings or the chainlink rings. Chances are, with them being outdoor photos they are simply dust particles. Also, note that the raccoon isn't even aware of the orb in his photo. Animals usually have a sensitivity to paranormal activities. Some dust particles do have a fuzzy almost even appearance that sort of resembles a soap bubble.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#22 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 05:15 PM

Most of those orbs do have the telltale dot in the center. The first photo you show has one just above the rooftop with a bright dot in the center. The fiddler photo has a brighter orb above and to his left. This orb has a darker dot but reflects light just the same. The also have the concentric rings or the chainlink rings. Chances are, with them being outdoor photos they are simply dust particles. Also, note that the raccoon isn't even aware of the orb in his photo. Animals usually have a sensitivity to paranormal activities. Some dust particles do have a fuzzy almost even appearance that sort of resembles a soap bubble.

Thanks much Axman for your time and your opinion. I really appreciate your input. As for the racoon, I think he was too preocuppied with nuts we fed him to really care about orbs. I think his belly came first. :D

#23 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 05:23 PM

Please do not take my word for fact because I only speak from experience. I am rather iffy when it comes to orbs because so many factors can be overlooked. Mists are a stange occurance that mystifies me so I generally don't comment on thoem. A full-bodied apparition in a photo is another story, I've seen a few and am more impressed if it is not too clear of an apparition. It's better if I can look at a print from a film camera personally (Kodak paper and all). There are too many Photochop masters out there.

#24 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 06:54 PM

I do believe in orbs but about 99% of the pics that people post I think are pollen, dust, rain or something else. as soon as I see more then three orbs in the same pic I beleve it's not a ghosts so I really don't look at orb pics besides if I showed one of my friends one and said its a ghosts, they would think I'm nuts so I really don't put much time in them

#25 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 07:31 PM

Please do not take my word for fact because I only speak from experience. I am rather iffy when it comes to orbs because so many factors can be overlooked. Mists are a stange occurance that mystifies me so I generally don't comment on thoem. A full-bodied apparition in a photo is another story, I've seen a few and am more impressed if it is not too clear of an apparition. It's better if I can look at a print from a film camera personally (Kodak paper and all). There are too many Photochop masters out there.

I know what you mean. Orbs are hard to figure. It is still a fairly new frontier and open to all kinds of discussion. Hopefully one day, this exchange of ideas will lead to a clear cut explanation as to what they really are. Thanks again for your opinion! :)

#26 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 05:15 PM

I saw some video of an orb that had the orb ascend a stairway, follow a hall and disappear through a door. That, I'm sure was no dust bunny!!!

#27 star_2_glitter_4_u

star_2_glitter_4_u

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 04:23 PM

Hmmm .... that's different

Always learn something different on orbs !

Sure would like to see the vidieo on the one going up the stairway & through the door .... :blink:

Starla

#28 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 04:52 PM

Hmmm .... that's different

Always learn something different on orbs !

Sure would like to see the vidieo on the one going up the stairway & through the door .... :blink:

Starla

The video was one made by a fellow ghost hunter I knew about 12 years ago. I haven't seen him since I moved from Michigan. I know he'd still have it but I can't find his current address or phone number. If I do locate him I'll see if he still has it and if he can send me a copy on DVD. It's a rather amazing video.

#29 Simmy

Simmy

Ghostvillage Newsgirl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Cars, Animals, Family....LIFE!

Posted 09 January 2005 - 03:02 AM

I just wanted to add in here that I have heard the a true 'paranormal' orb is meant to look just like somones thrown a golf ball in the air, its solid thick and white ? correct me if i'm wrong...and if moving, has a blur trail or blur on the outter edge? if this is the case, i think i MIGHT of captured one earlier..I will post it up in MY pic thread so you can see it and decide , oh and let me know if it is an orb and not somthing else...

Simmy

#30 Simmy

Simmy

Ghostvillage Newsgirl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Cars, Animals, Family....LIFE!

Posted 09 January 2005 - 03:14 AM

Posted Image

Looks like a face in the window lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users