• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 star_2_glitter_4_u

star_2_glitter_4_u

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 01:21 AM

This is a picture of a fireworks display from last Christmas.

As you can see it was snowing , so the fireworks are not too clear.

My question..

I would like to know how people come up with having "orbs" in their photos ?

I am not saying I do not believe in these , but these are all 100% snow flakes but how does a person know the difference ?

Now if this were taken in a cemetary woud a person say these were "orbs" ?

Starla

Posted Image

#2 moonwitch_1972

moonwitch_1972

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Emergency Medical Technician on ambulance. I make aroma therapy products-massage oils, candles, bath salts, soaps, incense, salves, ointments, etc. I, also, write adult short stories. I am a practicing solitary witch. In the near future, I see modern medicine and holistic medicine combining to open up a plethora of wonder.

Posted 30 November 2004 - 09:25 AM

The snowflakes in the photo do not show the classic signs that an actual orb have. In the orbs that I have photo graphed, you see a center separated by a thin dark line before continuing to the outer layer. These characteristics I have seen time and time again, as well as, usually being transparent. I always check and clean my lens before photographing anything to make sure there are no discrepencies in my photos such as dust on the lens, streaks/smudges, fingerprints or watermarks. Also, no smoking while taking pictures and remember that camera strap. In the past, I know I have made these unobserved mistakes; but realized upon reviewing my photos what I had done.

http://img.photobuck...72/000_0084.jpg
The eyes are the mirror to the soul. They can be masked; but the truth still lies within.

#3 star_2_glitter_4_u

star_2_glitter_4_u

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 11:08 AM

Good information moon72...

I am not looking to find orbs in my photos , just curious to know the difference..

As far as lens...I do not think there was dust on lens , but water as it is kind of hard to keep it dry while snowing ...

But thanks for cleaning tip.....

Starla

#4 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 11:20 AM

A curious thing about dust or other contaminants on the lens is, it usually won't show up. I have in fact placed a good sized crumb (1mmx1mm estimated) on the lens itself and took several pics. The crumb never showed a hint of contaminating the photos (entire roll of Kodak 400 color using a Canon A1 camera, no flash and also an entire roll of Kodak 400 color film using a cheap Konica camera w/ flash). Where it DOES show up, is on the mirrors inside the camera if your camera has detachable lenses, and has the viewfinder through the lens itself (my example is a Yashica Kyocera 230-AF camera. I had a contaminant on the plate of glass just past the lense. Becareful with cameras that have removable lenses :)
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#5 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 30 November 2004 - 02:16 PM

Starla,

When you see things such as dust and pollen, you get a very thin, whispy looking "orb" the really doesn't have very much "body" to it. Also, they are not very bright. They are usually very dull looking.

When you get a real paranormal orb, they are very full of body and usually bright. Often times they will be moving and that will also be evident by some sort of blurring.

When you pick up multiple orbs at once like in your photo above, you need to be very wary. It is not likely that you will see more than one orb in a shot most of the time. When you see hundreds, it is not likely to be paranormal at all. Usually you will only get one, sometimes two.

I hope that this helps but there is no substitute for experience and also using what you are feeling at the time for feedback as to whether or not it could be paranormal.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 star_2_glitter_4_u

star_2_glitter_4_u

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 04:58 PM

KRC....

I know for sure these are not orbs , unless you call all little round things (in photos ) orbs as you would use a word as circle..

I just do not understand...I heard that a spirit has to be gone for a long time before they can get enough engery to become a full apparation.

So....Is an orb like a start...comparing to an egg or something that begins in death as to life ?

I think....If I were to come back , I will wait and save up all my engery and be a whole.....something or other and not a little ball.... :angry:

Starla

#7 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 30 November 2004 - 07:12 PM

In my opinion:

An orb is a spirit at rest. It is their most basic relaxed form. When they gather more and more energy they are able to transform into an apparition. It is not like being a baby or starting out. It is just how spirits are in their relaxed natural form.

I didn't include this before because I just thought you wanted to know how to tell a real orb from a piece of dust.

#8 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 08:14 PM

Starla, in my opinion, it is nearly impossible to tell the difference between a "good" orb and a "bad" orb. And there doesn't seem to be any reliable criteria that one can use effectively. Here is why:

Dust orbs can indeed appear dull and transparent and in multiples, as in this picture I had taken of an investigation of the haunted Cleveland Agora Theatre....

Posted Image

...but they can also appear solid, bright and quite pretty, as in this singular dust orb captured in the attic of a former mortuary:

Posted Image

Here is another example of bright dust orbs, taken at a haunted bridge in Norton, Ohio:

Posted Image

Dust or debris on the lens can also cause an orb effect, as in this picture taken of a Crybaby bridge in Boston Heights. This can happen even when no flash is used:

Posted Image

Condensation also has a tendency to appear more solid and bright, as shown in your snow photo, and as shown in this picture I captured of a Native American burial ground in Cuyahoga Valley, taken as it was lightly raining:

Posted Image

Of course, let's not forget bugs, which are also quite bright and can produce the illusion of an "orb in motion":

Posted Image

Sidenote: I don't think that "multiple orbs" is a reliable rule of thumb. First, that's like throwing the baby out with the bath water because a perfectly good orb could be happily dancing in the dust. Shoot, if I were a smart ghost who enjoyed her privacy, I would just make a point of hanging out in dusty places. Also, the multiple orb theory is a good example of why there is no workable guideline....because they all look alike! :)
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#9 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 12:05 AM

Camille, was the above picture where you are claiming it to be dust done in a experiment where you released the dust yourself or is that just your theory as to what showed up on your film? If it was not a controlled experiment, then you aren't totally sure that is was dust. Correct? For this I am referring to your second pic posted.

Starla, there is a definite difference and if you would like to email me I can show you many pics that will teach you the difference.

#10 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 02:21 AM

Krc, I'm glad you pointed out the second pic. That's my favorite one out of all the photos I have taken of this place (well, next to the creepy elevator shaft!). This was from my second investigation of the morgue/warehouse attic. So with this one, I took extra time to explore the attic. I monitored every shot taken, and each snapshot was taken purposefully.

Krc, you've never been on a hunt with me, and you probably haven't visited my website, so, you my not fully understand my style. FYI, I do not do "eye candy." Yes, I am a skeptic, for the most part. But, I also do not hastily pass judgment on whether a particular site is haunted or not. I'm not out to prove or disprove the existence of a haunting, and don't go into an investigation with an agenda. Instead, I research and investigate and take an objective perspective, present my results, and leave it up to the better judgment of the readers to decide for themselves. Shoot, I have even uncovered historical facts on some sites that actually support a particular haunted legend.

With regard to my photos, I am very careful...I do not shoot multiple photos with reckless abandon. I take each picture slowly, purposefully, and deliberately, being sure to observe my surroundings. This can be frustrating for others who are with me, since I take a long time, but there is a method to my madness. Lol!

To give you some background on this case:

At the time this picture was taken, the owners had invited me to a private group exploration. What you don't see in the picture are about 15 other people who were walking around this attic. While taking these particular photos, there were dust and dirt particles that I could visibly see floating in the air when the flash went off. I had taken three photos of this area, a few seconds after an older couple had walked away from this spot. I was shooting as I was moving closer to the windows. The photo that I posted was the second one.

Here is the first photo, shot from a longer distance. You can see multiple orbs, but you'll also notice a nice, bright little pretty one on the right. It is similar to the one I posted, but on a smaller scale. There are also some smaller, less intense dust orbs. Here is the photo, with highlights (as you can see from the floor, the place is really quite dusty :) ):

Posted Image

Nice, huh?

Oh, on my first investigation, it was completely private...just myself, Ken (MurdockPSB, as he is known on GV), my hubby and the owner, who all stayed by the stairs as I shot photos. And it was taken during the day. Not surprisingly, without so many people moving around and stirring up dust, I didn't get nearly as many orbs. Ken was also present during the second investigation, but I honestly do not recall if he captured any anomalies.

Sidenote: The third photo is junk. For some reason, it came out black and nothing is really visible in it. I suspect the auto focus wasn't working on that shot....one of the downsides of working with a digital camera like this one. :rolleyes:

Oh, krc, did you notice the dust photos in pic #1 and #3? There were some bright ones in those, too. I especially like the bright yellow one on #3 (look to the right).

For anyone interested, here is a link to my write up on the warehouse:
http://deadohio.com/...eonthecanal.htm
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#11 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 10:18 AM

Camille,

I am glad that you don't do eye candy either. Just as I don't. I am only after the real thing. I am also very careful about my shots and yes, I have been to your website.

Pic #1 is obviously dust since there are a multitude of them on the shot. That looks like obvious stirred up dust. Plus when you look at the surroundings the area is covered in dust. These are how dust appears on film.

Concerning pic #2, if there were 15 other people walking around in this attic that would stir things up. I would never take that many people on an investigation since that is way too many to keep control of while collecting evidence. The other "orbs" in that pic are dust for sure. The one on the left I am not too sure about since dust doesn't film that way under those conditions anyway.

Pic #3, there are several yellow objects being illuminated by the sun in that one but again, there are multiples in this shot. Could be pollen in the air but the reason that they are showing up in this pic is due to the sun.

There are many factors to look at when taking paranormal pics. When you have experience you can learn to tell the difference and learn when and why something shows up like it does. Dust doesn't photograph in the lighting conditions of the attic like the left-hand bright one. Plus who is to say that a ghost can't be in a place where there is dust. Isn't it possible to capture both in one photo?

That's ok, I conduct very professional and very careful investigations and my evidence is real. If you don't agree, that's ok, it doesn't really matter to me one way or the other.

Starla, I again offer if you would like to learn just email me and I will show you how to tell the difference between real and not real orbs.

#12 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 11:27 AM

Oh yes, I would agree that 15 people will stir things up. Lol! But as you can see, dust and debris can appear in a variety of ways, not just as a transparent orb.

Regarding the third pic, that was taken at dusk. The light you see is from the flash of the camera, not the sun.

I think these are excellent examples of how flash photography can illuminate small particles in the air.

Krc, can you post some of your pics here and explain to us how you can tell the difference between good orbies and bad orbies?

#13 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 01 December 2004 - 11:43 AM

In regards to orbs ,

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong

Buffalo Springfield

Hehehehehe, :)

Ron
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

#14 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 11:52 AM

LOL, Rock! :)

#15 star_2_glitter_4_u

star_2_glitter_4_u

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 11:08 AM

I enjoyed looking and observing these pics Camille , and learning the history behind this building where this was taken place.

I was telling krc that in the past , when I looked through books , sites and so on...I would tend to overlook the orb shots as i thought them boring.

I see them with a different out look and understand more of what to look for .

And krc...you should post your comparrision pics as they show quite a lot of "real/not"

I know more of the phyisical aspect of these , but still puzzled on the emotional state ...

Are spirits that linger the spirits that are discontent , in denial of death , unfinished business ect.... ?

If so , I wonder how do they go into this relaxed state , and if or after becomming aparations....what is the emotional state....

Anyway I enjoyed all and also reading on the history as I find this cool to know what things were like and who and what lived there , and still "does"

I wonder....as we enter into this dimension...do you think we will want to be more heard , seen to make this easier for the 'Ghosthunters " to observe and learn... :)

Thanks for sharing....Have anymore....love to see , read......

Starla

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users