Legend of Bucksport Maine or The Foot on the Grave

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dwayne_G

Dwayne_G

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 07:50 AM

Bucksport is a small town found on Maine's coast. It's on Route 1A between Bangor and Belfast. I heard this story as a kid in elementary school. It's been printed in a few books on Maine ghosts and legends.
The legend surrounds Colonel Jonathan Buck, who founfded the town. Buck was a Revolutionary War hero. On his tombstone is a strange marking. It's approximately two feet long and six inches accross at its widest point. The black mark is in the shape of a human leg.
The residents claim it's the curse of a witch. The story differs, depending on who tells it. There is One thing is common to all versions however. Buck, who was a judge at the time condemned a young woman, who had been accused of witchcraft, to death.
Just before she was hung or burned at the stake she cursed Buck.
This is the curse:
"Jonathan Buck, listen to these words, the last my tongue shall utter. In the spirit of the only true and living God I speak to you. You will soon die. Over your grave they will erect a stone that all may know where the bones of the mighty Jonathan Buck are crumbling to dust. But listen, all ye people and may your descendants ever know the truth. Upon that stone will appear the imprint of my foot, and for all time long after your accursed race has perished from the Earth the people will come from afar to view the fulfillment  and will say: 'There lies the man who murdered a woman.' Remember well, Jonathan Buck. Remember well."

Well as soon as Buck died they erected an obelisk like monument over his grave and soon after a foot appeared on it. Everything was done to remove the mark, but everytime it was cleaned off it would return.

Another version of the story is that Buck had an affair with the woman who cursed him. In the version I heard she had gone to visit him one night just after giving birth to their child. Buck wouldn't let her in the house, he was already married. Supposedly she had her leg just inside the door and Buck slammed it on her, injuring her rather severely, since it was a heavy door and she was a small woman. She tried to walk home but died on the way due to the wound she received to her leg.

#2 YankeePyrate

YankeePyrate

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • Interests:History, all things paranormal & macabre, good music, good friends, art, a few drinks...but most of all my amazing son.

Posted 26 August 2004 - 09:16 AM

I've seen this grave firsthand....it's eerie, allright. Definitely looks like a foot. Every few years around Halloween the local papers will do a story on it too. Over the years, people have tried to have the mark removed, to no avail. Even sandblasting it off didn't work...the mark reappeared within days.

Posted Image
~ Visit my paranormal chronicles blog, "Sarah Haskell's Ghost" ~

#3 Guest_Ghostbuter20_*

Guest_Ghostbuter20_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2004 - 02:10 PM

That's what you get for screwing with a witch. (pun not intended)

#4 Dwayne_G

Dwayne_G

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 04:11 PM

Wow! Thanks for the pic. I was thinking of doing a Google search for it.  ;D

#5 YankeePyrate

YankeePyrate

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • Interests:History, all things paranormal & macabre, good music, good friends, art, a few drinks...but most of all my amazing son.

Posted 26 August 2004 - 07:52 PM

No prob, Dwayne! That's just what I did.
~ Visit my paranormal chronicles blog, "Sarah Haskell's Ghost" ~

#6 kcqf

kcqf

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Location:x1|Menlo Park|USA|usa|28|160|xx1|Menlo Park|USA|usa|28|160|x1

Posted 28 August 2004 - 10:46 AM

I came across this bit on Bucksport Cemetery on the website allaboutghosts.com.  This URL will take you to the "Maine" section then just scroll down until you come to the Bucksport Cemetery heading:

http://dawghouse.top....com/maine.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users