• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 hoppip

hoppip

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 07:53 AM

I went on one of these ghost walks and found it to be perhaps true I thought ::) but after wards I asked the tour guide and he said that they base their stories on some truth and add to it.   :'(  

#2 T.R.I.P.R.G.

T.R.I.P.R.G.

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 08:32 PM

You have to remember that tourism is the main means of income for Gettysburg with antiques coming in a close second.  The guides mean no harm in what they do, but what makes it hard is trying to sort the bs from the truth, after all these guides are supposed to be the "experts."

Also, try to remember that the places these walks go to are the same ones they've been going to for years and years and much of the psychic energy that was in these places has either been exhausted or the tours have simply worn out their welcome.  So the story has to be "spiced up" to make the sore feet worth it for the tourists.

The best walking tours, I found, are those you plan and do yourself with friends and fellow investigators.   Just be careful in Gettysburg, its a good chance you'll find what you're looking for and you may not like it! :o

#3 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 12:42 PM

Never been on one ???
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#4 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 04:42 AM

I've been on those walks and i think too that they do gain from the ghost stories but i believe that some of its very true and who doesn't like a great ghost story mixed with the atmosphere....plus when i went we had our guide admit to having actually heard and felt a spirit, was worth the price and sore feet to me ;D
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#5 MTV

MTV

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 07:10 AM

They even have ghost walk's in the city I live in.Which I'm going on soon.The theatre we have here is even haunted. :)

#6 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 01:07 PM

I personally have never been on one, but I feel like most anything, some are for real and some aren't....also any place can be "haunted" for at any given period, anywhere from Uncle Jack passing through to Dicken's Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future,
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#7 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 16 June 2003 - 04:38 AM

not too surre about Ghost Walks! I live in India, so dunno what youi guys talk about ??? so NO VOTE!
Posted Image

#8 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 04:08 PM

Moonchild,

Ghost Walks are tourist attractions in some older cities were people pay to take a walking tour through supposedly haunted areas and the guide tells them the history of the area and the stories.
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

#9 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 03:56 AM

thanks masquarade for the information. so it is somehting like a historical walk, eh? or is there Ghost Viewing facilities available? okie... perhaps I cna join in some spooky walks sometime soon!
Posted Image

#10 MTV

MTV

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 04:02 AM

Do you not have ghost walk's in India,Moonchild? :)I alway's thought they had them in most major city's. :)

#11 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 04:25 AM

nope buddy MTV, we don't have no Ghost Walks here! History is aplenty here, and perhaps the cultural difference maybe the reason why we don't have walks here!
Posted Image

• Guests

Posted 17 June 2003 - 10:44 AM

I don't know much about the Gettysburg ghost walks, but in New Orleans (where I am from), there are plenty of guided ghost tours.  From personal experience, and also through research into local hauntings and myths I find that the ghost tours here are mostly myth.  The stories are very interesting, and make for a good tour, but most are local legend, not fact.

#13 T.R.I.P.R.G.

T.R.I.P.R.G.

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 06:51 PM

I can relate, J. Victoria.  I was in New Orleans a few years ago as part of an assignment and I was pretty psyched up about going on a few ghost tours; especially to the graveyard known for its Lady in White.  It was an excellent night of storytelling, but as far as phenomena there was nothing to speak of.  

There was this funny thing, though. As our last destination on the tour, the guide led us to the gates of the cemetery where the Lady in White resides.  He began to re-tell the story of the woman often seen at the gates by passer-bys and so on.  All the while, he was holding an ELF meter (a common investigative tool most of the group was familiar with) in one hand and with the sensor in the other, probing through the barred gate as he spoke.  As with the sites before this, the ELF meter was silent and no ghostly happenings happened.   We politely thanked the guide for the nice time and started away toward our respective hotels and whatever.  

As we were walking away, the ELF meter began to "sing" as I call it and we all saw the locked gate move slightly under its own power...no wind, no one near these huge heavy cast iron gates.  A noticeable chill was in the air and then vanished, along with the meter's insisting beeping. That would have been enough to have made the walk worth while, but the look on the guide's pure white, paled face was worth every cent of the tour price!

As I always say, take care when investigating the paranormal...learn the difference between when you have found something and when something has found you! :o

A.L.

#14 ghosthunter_girl

ghosthunter_girl

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 07:25 PM

I've never been on a ghost walk, but it does sound interesting. Even if there were no ghosts, just hearing the history behind the place would be cool. But that's just because I'm freak for history....... :)
"The head are the invisible ones, but not the absent ones." -Victor Hugo

#15 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 03:03 AM

ghosthunter_girl,

I agree the history is the best part for me, and it goes hand in hand with what you'll be hearing a lot of around here....research!  You can't explain something you don't understand and the only way to understand is to study.  When you're learning history not only are you adding to your knowledge just by reading (of however) but you're gaining insight from a person who studied this before making it easier on you to learn faster.
Posted Image

Myspace

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users