• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Ravenwood

Ravenwood

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 02:43 PM

Someone has just started a ghost walk or two here in Nashville.Haven't been on any of them yet.
I'd love to know the history of some of the planations around here. Esp. the Ransome Plantation which is now the suburb in which I live.

#32 ghostlady

ghostlady

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 02:33 PM

There's no doubt that Gettysburg is haunted.There's always going to be a restless spirit who may have not known they past.Especially after a war.Some of the spirits perhaps think they're still fighting the Civil War.And maybe some weren't ready to move on.I'm sure there's alot of different reasons for them to be stuck in between here and the other side.I do think  that maybe the tour guides may be exagerating a little too.

#33 modelcitizen

modelcitizen

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting<br />Science <br />Art<br />History<br />Exotic Plants<br />Reptiles/Amphibians<br />Native American Studies

Posted 09 August 2004 - 03:15 PM

If the history is accurate, I'm happy with the walk.  I enjoy the historical information as much as the actual ghost story. I never go on a walk expecting to see anything.  It has only happened to me once (I was touched by a ghost), and I've been on about a dozen walks in different cities.
I actually do the walks the first day we arrive at the city so that I have a decent idea of where to go hunting on my own.
~Stimpy

#34 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 02:47 PM

I have to retract my first post. I went on the tour in Gettysburg of the Jenny Wade house about 3 weeks ago. There were a couple of other site we went to but it ended inside the house that Jenny was shot and died in. I found the guide a very good story teller and that made the tour more interesting.Finding out some of the unknown things that happend where we were was kinda neet as well.
I hope to have some pictures to post.Maybe Jenny will show herself :o
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#35 honeybeary

honeybeary

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Interests:Reading, walking, hiking, photography

Posted 15 August 2004 - 07:05 PM

never been on one, but planning on going on one this fall in Kingston, Ontario when I visit my sister.
What doesn't kill us makes us strong.

#36 SeaSiren

SeaSiren

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 06:26 PM

My thoughts on the walking tours are that they are silly. †Usually concocted for tourists. †The one I went on in London was a bit farfetced... †In fact, I learned a pretty serious lesson from spending some time at a particularly haunted home we have here in So. Cal.

It's the Whaley House in old town San Diego. †A close friend of mine (who is also a Witch) and I had the fortune of being able to be there alone, for three hours, after hours from around 10pm on. †It was an experience I will never forget. †

We arrived to find a 'walking tour' making it's way from the cemetery to inside the home. †Gods, these people couldn't have been more disrespectful. †We were outside waiting for them to leave, and all we hear are these "BOO!" †HAHA GOTCHA, screams, etc. coming from these people in the house. †Add the fact that there are bars all around the place. †The tours of this place are necessary for restoration and upkeep. †It was to be torn down before the historical society took over, but they constantly need $$ to keep it up.

So they finally clear out and we get in. †They took down the velvet ropes for us, and we got to have full roam of the house. †We discovered much.

From what we gathered, and both of us being sensitive, the 'residents' of the house want nothing to do with looky-loos tromping through their home! †In fact, they weren't happy that we were there afterhours, but put up with us because we were respectful. †Imagine hundreds of strangers tromping through your house everyday!

And, the "stories" and "legends" of the Whaley House are exaggerated. †We learned much about its inhabitants in that they were a very proud family. †At some point, I'll start a thread on it with a pic or two :)

So I guess, remember when you hear these tall tales about "ladies in white," etc, that spirits really are not that glamorous nor do they all have such 'romantic' stories surrounding them... †And also, don't be at the end of the line and always look over your shoulder †;)
~ And paradise we found is always frail, against man's fears will always fail ~

#37 armyangel

armyangel

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 08:34 PM

I have been on a few Ghost walks and did our own tours during trips to Gettysburg. The guides we nice but some of them did embelish a little, I'm a history buff and to me that was the best part of the tours.
The best ones that we did were the ones we researched our self and planned. That might only be because we picked when where and what we were going to look at.
They both are great, its all how you look at it.

#38 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 09:08 PM

Hi armyangel, welcome to gv. I hope you enjoy your stay with us. BTW Mack and David (if I got the names right) are gorgeous.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#39 armyangel

armyangel

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 07:08 AM

Thanks CajunKnight for your welcome. Mack is David's middle name David McKenize. I think he's gorgeous too, single mom's pride.

#40 hunnyfire

hunnyfire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 07:23 AM

I went on a ghost walk when I was in the 5th grade. But we were told a story before entering the wooded area. By the end of the night we all sat around a huge fire and our instructor told us to yell the ghost's name as loud as we could.

I thought it was a waste of time and being how young I was I didnít understand the whole purpose. So anyways we all obeyed and yelled out the ghosts name. After five second's of silence we heard the so-called ghost answer us in a frightened tone.

That was enough for me to stop it with the ghost walks, lol.

Hunny
I smile because I have no idea of what's going on.

#41 MTV

MTV

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 10:57 AM

They used to have ghost walks in the city I live in,but they did away with them.I was very disappointed,cause I wanted to go. :)

#42 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 07:21 PM

He is a fine looking little man for sure. :)
The pride is well understood.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#43 Kanchati

Kanchati

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 08:39 PM

I have visited Gettysburg, but that was in 1964, before I even learned about the hauntings at the famous battle grounds.

My mother, brother (age17) and I (age15) had planned a tour of the U.S. in 1964 and one of the "must see" spots was of course Gettysburg.  There were no tour guides to influence us and we had the run of the grounds as, for unknown reasons, tourism was down that year.

My brother went wondering off along a tree line across from the wheat fields.  A few minutes later he came runing back and asked me to follow him.  We entered a row of trees through a small gap in the line.

There in a small rectangle were about 12 grave markers, I do not recall any markings on them, but they were set at different spots, not aligned, within the rectangle.

We spent a few minutes looking at them, then went to get our mother. When we returned but a few minutes later the markers were all gone, with only a few bare earth spots where, it may be assumed, those markers were but a few minutes before. ??? :o

We did not count the bare spots, but my brother said he felt chilled when he walked over one of the spots, and this was about June 29th.  ???

Who lay beneath those spots, and why were we so privalged as to see their grave stones?  We did have several family members who fought for North and South, but we would not know there names for another decade! :o  And none fought at Gettysburg. :'(

We never returned and later requests by me about that particular row of trees has never been answered by any  Gettysburg researcher nor by the Gettysburg Ghost Tour folk.

Perhaps one day I will be able to return and try again to locate those few who may very well lie without being remembered or known.

Kanchati
Kanchati

#44 tombob32

tombob32

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:37 AM

I've been on several ghost walks in one of the most haunted cities in America, Charleston, SC.

There are many old churches and cemeteries in Charleston dating from the 17th and 18th centuries and it has a VERY colorful history.

I'm definitely a believer, even though I know some of the guides may embellish the truth a little.

Tom in Monroe, NC :weeee:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users