• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 KalebKellum

KalebKellum

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Ghosthunting, all aspects of the paranormal and the occult. I love to read and write, Stephen King is my current favorite author. I enjoy cemetery photography, exploring old places, being a husband and a father.<br><br>I love ghosthunting here in New Orleans. There is something new and amazing to discover here everyday. The culture is like no other. I lived in New Orleans all my life and complained about it everyday. It took moving out of state to make me realize how much I love this city. Now I'm back in New Orleans and couldn't be happier.

Posted 02 August 2004 - 02:44 PM

If people were asked where one of the gates to hell might be located, very few would say Kansas, but according to local lore, it just may be.

The place is Stull, KS, the cemetery is called Stull Cemetery.

The small town of Stull was settled in 1862, and named for the Postmaster of the time, Silvester Stull.

At first sight, the cemetery appears very normal.Roughly 100 graves, an old tree, and a burnt out church pretty much make the scene, but as always, there is more lingering right under the surface.

In 1995, Time Magazine asked Pope John Paul 2nd why he ordered his plane to fly around Kansas, and his response..."I don't want to fly over unholy ground..."

Some of the hype may come from the fact that Stull Cemetery is located in the Topeka zip code prefix of "666", or perhaps even that the road leading up to the cemetery, was literally named Devil's Lane up until 1905.

In 1974, the University of Kansas college newspaper did a report on Stull Cemetery, which sites the legend being over 100 years old.The elders of the small town believe that Stull Cemetery is one of the alleged 7 gateways to hell, allowing Satan to allegedly manifest on earth through a supernatural portal..

This legend comes from a handful of local rumors, one being that Satan's unholy son is buried within the walls of Stull, and that on the Spring Equinox, and on midnight of Halloween, the Prince of Darkness comes to earth to visit the tomb of his son.

The exact location of the gateway to hell is unknown, but most of the controversey centers around the burnt out church in the cemetery.The church was build in 1867, and was swept over by the mysterious fire in the early 1900's.Some say that the religious communtiy destroyed the church in an attempt to seal the gateway to hell.Although the church has no roof, it is said that no rain will ever fall within the church.

Another secret to the Stull mystery revolves around the pine tree that was mentioned above.It is reported that witches were hung from this tree during the Spring Equinox Sabbat years ago, and that a town man was reported missing for some time, only to be found later hanging from this very tree.

Modern covens did indeed visit this cemetery to pay homage to those witches that died there, up until 1998, when the caretakers had the tree cut down and removed.

Halloween night of 1999, media from Lawrence Journal World and Sunflower Cable Station Channel 6 News were at the cemetery by permission of the Sheriff.At 11:30pm, only 30 minutes before the alleged gate to hell would be cast open, an unknown representative of the cemetery caretakers appeared, and requested the Sheriff to remove the reporters.The media left peacefully, mere moments before the stroke of midnight.

Below are lyrics from a song written just for Stull Cemetery by the band Urge Overkill:

"Forty miles west of Kansas City, down a county road like a lonely soul, I see Sharon and I see Jack. It's me and Roman dressed all in black. Tell my bride to bury me in Stull....don't be afraid....don't be afraid....it's great."

~Urge Overkill.

Please post your thoughts.

~Kaleb
Knowledge is the clearest and most direct representation of utter power. The power to change your place on Earth, the power to change your fate, the very power to alter yourself. Thirst for this power and your inner longings will become satisfied and your external desires will become moot.http://www.geocities.com/kalebbkellum/

#2 opterasis

opterasis

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 02:59 PM

very interesting. i wish i knew more of the history on some of the places i have visited/plan to visit. aslo, i believe jericho had a question about tihs place, something about a secret staircase. ill play messenger and suggest you get in contact with him if you can help himm out. keep up the great detailed posts.
myspace.com/corecontagionmy DVDAF

#3 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 03 August 2004 - 06:03 AM

Just a note, Time Magazine actually NEVER reported any such comment or action by Pope John Paul II.  

The stories regarding Stull actually started after an article was published in a student newspaper in the 1970's.  And it threw the locals off guard because that was the first they ever heard of this.

And I really do not believe that there is such a place as the gates of hell, nor can anyone pass through them (see my comments and reasoning in the thread for Hell's Gate).  

As far as I am concerned, based on what I have read on this particular cemetary, the Hell's Gate bit is a mere urban legend, that has caused a great deal of damage to the graveyard.  I DO think that there may be or may have been some paranormal activity in that area, which were then blown right out of proportion, likely by the very students that wrote the article.  

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#4 Guest_Ghostbuter20_*

Guest_Ghostbuter20_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2004 - 06:57 AM

Actually, people claimed the stories had been around for awhile before they were published.

#5 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 03 August 2004 - 07:29 AM

According to articles I've read, that's not the case (although there are other articles that maintain that they were).

I personally am taking a HUGE grain of salt with this and any other 'hell's gate' stories.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#6 KalebKellum

KalebKellum

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Ghosthunting, all aspects of the paranormal and the occult. I love to read and write, Stephen King is my current favorite author. I enjoy cemetery photography, exploring old places, being a husband and a father.<br><br>I love ghosthunting here in New Orleans. There is something new and amazing to discover here everyday. The culture is like no other. I lived in New Orleans all my life and complained about it everyday. It took moving out of state to make me realize how much I love this city. Now I'm back in New Orleans and couldn't be happier.

Posted 05 August 2004 - 01:00 PM

There are dozens of alleged "gates to hell" all over the country and no doubt the world.

Other then paranormal/occult occurences, what other aspects go in to determaining if a location is just haunted, or if it qualifies as a gate to hell?
Knowledge is the clearest and most direct representation of utter power. The power to change your place on Earth, the power to change your fate, the very power to alter yourself. Thirst for this power and your inner longings will become satisfied and your external desires will become moot.http://www.geocities.com/kalebbkellum/

#7 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 01:20 PM

That's just the thing, how the heck do you label it as such?  Is that religion based thing? or is it some little kind coming up and saying "MUM! DAD! Don't touch it! It's EEEEVIL!"  sorry, Time Bandits flash.

Anyway, I don't know how the heck (there's that word again) you could omce to a conclusion that a place is a "Hell's Gate"  That's all urban legend... stuff to scare kids and tell tales and drink wine around a fire and... and ... and...  And there you have it.
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#8 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 05:12 PM

Exactly Akthra!  Just a place to go to scare your date into your arms.  ;)  Without paying for the movie ticket!

I explained in another thread on this subject the whys and wherefores behind my own reasoning of the non-existance of an actual gate to hell.  You simply cannot pass through PHYSICALLY into the other realm.  You can go in your spirit form if you have that talent (I don't, despite study and attempts....), but your physical body remains here.  And all the tales about gates of hell here and there refer to someone physically passing through it and never returning.  Which isn't possible.  

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#9 Guest_Ghostbuter20_*

Guest_Ghostbuter20_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2004 - 05:49 PM

Maybe the hells gate theory was not only to just scare people in general, but to keep them from going near. But as we've known/experienced, that doesn't always work.

#10 KalebKellum

KalebKellum

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 09:18 AM

Hmmmm, I like the idea that it's just a farce to scare kids. Adults have been using those methods to keep children in line for 100's of years.

#11 Guest_Ghostbuter20_*

Guest_Ghostbuter20_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2004 - 08:24 AM

Same with the monster under the bed. Probably said that to keep their kids in bed. But that would cause major problems, wouldn't you think?

#12 KalebKellum

KalebKellum

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 10:12 AM

Sure, parents start these little boogey-man stories in order to control their kids, but end up scaring them half to death. I think the practice of scaring kids into behaving is more of an old world thing though, and probably doesn't happen too much these days.

Of course, if a kid has an older brother or sister, then I'm sure the cycle will continue. To me, ghost stories made the dark fun, but not every kid was quite as....unique as I was....;)

#13 Guest_Ghostbuter20_*

Guest_Ghostbuter20_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2004 - 10:48 AM

That, and I was thinking more of having to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and fearing the monster under the bed, or the boogeyman would jusp out from the closet and nab you. I always slept on just boxed springs and a mattress until recently so the monster under the bed never got me. And there wasn't any room for ANYTHING to hide in ANY closet at our previous house.  

#14 KalebKellum

KalebKellum

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 02:10 PM

I used to freak my cousins out by telling them that there were men that would come into their homes at night and watch them sleep. I then told them that the bumps and clicks heard at night were the men hiding.

I think my aunt banned me from spending the night after that one...;)

#15 Guest_Ghostbuter20_*

Guest_Ghostbuter20_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2004 - 02:58 PM

Smart move, genius. You've scarred your cousins for life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users