The Dreaded Ouija

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 SpookSeeker

SpookSeeker

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:My Work, Mystery, Fantasy, Gaming, Books, Old School Things, Life.... The usual ;)

Posted 22 December 2004 - 12:51 PM

I have been reading and hearing a lot of mixed reviews on the subject of Ouija Boards. I'm curious, the people who are so oposed to them why are you so oposed to them and the people who are for them why do you believe they are safe? I'm not trying to point any fingers I'm just very curious to hear both sides of the story.

Also where did Ouija Boards originate and how are they suppossed to work? Why do spirits come to them in the first place?

#2 Libramoon

Libramoon

Birthday Party Streak er

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy all things paranormal. I often go to haunted locations to take pictures and EVP's. I also live in an active location and have taken many pictures and EVP's in my home.<br /> I love to read just about anything and I hope one day to become a writter of both fiction and paranormal non-fiction. <br /> Our world is still a very mysterious place. We haven't even scratched the surface!

Posted 22 December 2004 - 02:13 PM

I am against them. I have used them and seen them work. I've also seen
the harm they can do. Especially when just one person uses them. Somehow,
usually only bad spirits come through. Why? I don't know. I don't know how
they came to be. Alot of people think it's just a harmless game, but they are
not. What really gets me is that they are sold in toy stores! You may as well
buy kids a real gun! :weeee:
To himself everyone is immortal; he may know that he is going to die, but he'll never know that he is dead. ~Samuel Butler~

#3 MELLY

MELLY

Loves Firemen!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Interests:Reading, gardening, my daughters and grandchildren, travel. I collect dolls, first edition signed novels, and love architectual salvage!

Posted 22 December 2004 - 04:00 PM

A couple of sites with some history of the board...interesting stuff. They scare me...the book The Exorcist and the Captain Howdy thing scared me...even if it was a work of fiction

http://www.damnedgam...ijahistory.html

http://www.museumoft...om/history.html
Religious people fear going to hell. Spiritual people have already been there.

#4 Sinestro

Sinestro

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 10:32 PM

Well the reason why I am oppssed to the Quija Board is because well simply it ain't real. It is nothing more than a game that you are in control of, only you are controlling it, with your Subconscious. The game, Quija Board is no different than you taking a string and hooking a washer or a pendulum to the end of it and then holding the other end of the string in your index finger and thumb and then swing the pendulum or washer away from your body, and back again, (forward & back) while doing that say this: "This is my Yes. Next, swing the pendulum or washer gently, from left to right side, and say this: "This is my No. Please Note that if the washer or pendulum does not move or keeps on moving in circles(clockwise) then it does not know the anwer. It is best to let the Subconscious select its own movements. Now, when you ask a question, give the pendulum a twist, in a circle, clockwise, and that will get it started. This technique ONLY works with YES or NO Questions. The main point of this is to tell you that it is YOUR SUBCONSCIOUS that is moving the string in the different directions, it is the same thing with the Quija Board, you(Your Subconscious) are moving it the entire time.

What really gets me is that they are sold in toy stores!

Thats because it is a GAME! If the game is so harmfull like you say it is Libramoon, then why would they sell it in stores? It is quite simple because it is a harmless game that you are in total control of. They would not sell the game in stores if it was as bad as you say it is. Why go out and buy some dumb game(Quija Board) when you can just tie a string to your finger, with a washer tied to the end of it, and then have your subconscious choice which way it wants to move for YES, NO, and I DON'T KNOW, and do the same thing.
-Chris-

#5 amyo0o0

amyo0o0

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 10:40 PM

Smoking is harmful, yet they still sell tobacco products. Alcohol is harmful, but it still sells, AND Russian Roulette is just a game, as is playing chicken with your car. But it is still a game. Car surfing is harmful, but kids still 'play' it. Just because Parker Brothers sell it, doesn't mean it doesn't have the potential to be dangerous.

#6 ShimmerySprite

ShimmerySprite

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Pets, Veterinary Medicine (holistic and conventional), Knitting, Crocheting, Cross-Stitch, Internet, Paranormal Occurences &amp; the Afterlife.

Posted 24 December 2004 - 12:08 AM

Hi all~ have to throw my thoughts in here...I really don't like ouija boards and when I've been asked about them, I've cautioned against their use. I have used one once, and the experience was not a good one....and here I am 25 years later and I still remember enough of my experience to want no part of the ouija.

I agree with Sinestro on one point: that your subconscious mind can, indeed, influence the moving of the planchette around the board.

This being said, I also believe in the whole good/evil thing.
When someone uses the Ouija board and has a bad experience with it, I think it's entirely possible that this could be the result of some kind of malcontnent (and maybe bored) energy. Seems to me that when you are able to harness/apply a little psychic energy in other areas of life, that you have to be real careful. An open mind can be like an open door~ never know what kind of "energy-trash" will try to slip itself through.

I'm sure that the Ouija board can be used safely and effectively, but I really think it should stay in the hands of those who know what they are doing and know how to properly protect themselves from any kind of psychic attack.

JMHO
;)
ShimmerySprite

#7 Libramoon

Libramoon

Birthday Party Streak er

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy all things paranormal. I often go to haunted locations to take pictures and EVP's. I also live in an active location and have taken many pictures and EVP's in my home.<br /> I love to read just about anything and I hope one day to become a writter of both fiction and paranormal non-fiction. <br /> Our world is still a very mysterious place. We haven't even scratched the surface!

Posted 24 December 2004 - 08:42 PM

I believe your subconscious can move it, too. But I had a experience where
I wasn't even touching it. 2 other people were. The guy who owned it asked me if I knew of someone that I wanted to try and contact.So I picked someone they did NOT know. I had him ask things only she & I would know.
It all came out right.
Gee, Sinestro, I must have a very powerful mind to make it move without
me even touching it! And to flick the lights off and on!
All I know is that it worked for me.
To himself everyone is immortal; he may know that he is going to die, but he'll never know that he is dead. ~Samuel Butler~

#8 Sinestro

Sinestro

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 02:23 PM

EDIT: IMO, the whole Quija Board thing with ghosts and spirits and communicating with the dead is just nothing more than a bunch of nonsense
-Chris-

#9 Libramoon

Libramoon

Birthday Party Streak er

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 11:05 AM

Sinestro, just because you don't believe, you don't have to put those of us who do believe down. :D

#10 star_2_glitter_4_u

star_2_glitter_4_u

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 09:21 AM

Seeing is believing :D

I agree Libra , people have to see things happen as with anything ..before they truely believe..

I have seen answers to questions that the user did not even know about themselves !

Yes it is only plastic and cardboard , but a tool to communeicate does not have to be some extravogant piece of equipment...

I am skeptic on this also , but also opened minded and anything is posible :)

Starla

#11 donvega

donvega

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 11:07 AM

My first and only experience with the board was when a 10 year old and a 21 year old (me). Asked it a question I did not know and when the answere came true, I automaticly suspected the kid as knowing the answer. So I asked a question I knew he and I both did not know the answer to. What was the age of my mother-in-law and his grand-mother. (same person). The answer came true. 52 years old. We asked my mother-in-law and she told us after we were given the correct answer. I never used it again. Because I don't want to communicate with something/one who I am not sure who they are or what motives they have to talk to me. Coincidence? I think not. Just my experience. For what it's worth. :D

#12 Sinestro

Sinestro

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 11:37 AM

Well donvega, it is not Coincidence, But, your subconscious. I have tired this Quija Board when I was a kid and nothing ever happed to me. How fun it would be if all of us who have replied to this post could sit down together and play the Quija Board.
-Chris-

#13 SpookSeeker

SpookSeeker

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:My Work, Mystery, Fantasy, Gaming, Books, Old School Things, Life.... The usual ;)

Posted 27 December 2004 - 12:41 PM

Thanks a lot for the links, Melly!

And yeah, everyone is entitled to their opinions, no reason to put each other down. :D

#14 donvega

donvega

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 11:24 AM

Count me out of any mass ouija board reading. I take it that you think the subconscious mind has more access than the conscious mind to information. When someone dosen't know the answer to a question, how can the subconscious know? I can't really quite follow that line of resoning. But I do believe that coincidence has nothing to do with it. It may be only a game to you, but one that I won't play with. Take it for what its worth. DonVega

#15 Libramoon

Libramoon

Birthday Party Streak er

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 12:56 PM

I won't mess with one either! I know for a fact that they work. Why not for
some, I don't know. Maybe they were not concentrating enough?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users