Kentucky Mushroom Mines

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 wikkedlilgurl

wikkedlilgurl

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:29 PM

I just recently moved to Kentucky from New Orleans, and one of the most chilling stories I've heard so far is that of the Kentucky Mushroom Mines in Lawton, Ky.

According to local gossip, Satanic covens gather there on certain nights of the year to conduct unholy rituals, some perhaps even involving murder. Two dead bodies were found there several years ago, and the locals will swear all day that it was the work of followers of Satan.

Drug deals are also reported to take place out at the Mushroom Mines, and that could also explain the corpses. The undeniable truth though is that locals are scared to death to go near the mines at night.

:clap: I've been to the mushroom mines... they are located fairly close to Olive Hill, KY and I live in Ashland, about 30 minutes away from there. That place has a presence about it. It's a scary place. We used to go down there and hang out but I noticed that I would become very ill and the next day I'd be in bed throwing up all day. What was even creepier about the whole situation is... I was down there with my roommate one time and I'd never been there with him. He looked at me and he was like "We need to go" and I agreed and we ran outta there... the next day we were both extremely sick.

If you go there, make sure you take plenty of light source... I would recommend lanters. Whatever you do... do not take photos!!!!!!

Edited by DukeofBoogie, 13 October 2006 - 05:50 AM.

#17 ekpi_ghost_hunters

ekpi_ghost_hunters

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Everything Paranormal

Posted 14 October 2006 - 10:49 PM

Just some of them. Hauntings occur for many unknown reasons, ranging from unfinished business to spirits who simply think they are still alive.

Occult practices such as Satanism can also produce many spiritual manifestations that aren't ghosts at all but perhaps negatives entities that were attracted by the ritual itself.

Hey don't know if you've heard this theory before or not but there is a theory on Residual hauntings that states that some, though not all residual hauntings, (or hauntings where the same phenomena seems to go on at scheduled times) but some R. Hauntings can be just high levels of atmospheric gases that sort of record certain tragic events. Whether this theory is true I don't know just thought I would throw it out there for those of you who are interrested.

#18 Nixie

Nixie

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:28 AM

According to local gossip, Satanic covens gather there on certain nights of the year to conduct unholy rituals, some perhaps even involving murder. Two dead bodies were found there several years ago, and the locals will swear all day that it was the work of followers of Satan.

My spouse claims to have encountered people in white robes with orange/amber hoods in the mines years ago.

The bodies were transported and dumped there by the murders. The victoms of this crime was the perpertraters Father and Step Mother. Him and his Girlfriend killed them and then hid the bodies in the mines.

Drug deals are also reported to take place out at the Mushroom Mines, and that could also explain the corpses. The undeniable truth though is that locals are scared to death to go near the mines at night.

Drug addicts and vandals may be the source of some of the frights.

As for the locals being scaired, well that place has a presence about it.
I went back to the verry back (where the underground lake is) with a group of three others in the mid 1980's. Had been all over the mines before, but the verry rear by the lake is the spot of our encounter.

I could hear a hollow thud as if someone were hitting something aganist a wooden post echoing inside the cave every once and a while. Kept hearing noises as if someone were behind us but no-one was there besides us. When I got to the "Lake" inside of the mine, the sound of water pouring into the pool was overpowering, but I still heard bizzare voices overtop of the water flow. I saw the "Ghost Lights" that people speak of and when we turned off our flashlights they went away after a few seconds.

Needless to say, we wasted no time leaving--and allthough I didn't see anything other than lights, one of the people with me ran suddenly to the car. When we caught up with him and ask him what was wrong, he said "Didn't you all see that thing"...

He refuses to talk about what he seen to this day.

Unfortunately, The mines has been bought out by a company in Califorina and is currently being transformed into a high security data storage facility. So I guess that I'll never get the chance to explore the mines again.

I was a teenager at the time just looking to explore the old mines. How I wish I could take some of my gear in there and try to get some readings.

Sypnosis (from memories):
Cold Spots
Feeling of a presence watching
Dull hollow thud noises
Unexplained demonic sounding voices (near the underground lake)
Ghost lights
Friend saw some type of apparation.

#19 used-to-be-important

used-to-be-important

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:55 AM

I just recently moved to Kentucky from New Orleans, and one of the most chilling stories I've heard so far is that of the Kentucky Mushroom Mines in Lawton, Ky.

:ghost: I've been to the mushroom mines... they are located fairly close to Olive Hill, KY and I live in Ashland, about 30 minutes away from there. That place has a presence about it. It's a scary place. We used to go down there and hang out but I noticed that I would become very ill and the next day I'd be in bed throwing up all day. What was even creepier about the whole situation is... I was down there with my roommate one time and I'd never been there with him. He looked at me and he was like "We need to go" and I agreed and we ran outta there... the next day we were both extremely sick.

If you go there, make sure you take plenty of light source... I would recommend lanters. Whatever you do... do not take photos!!!!!!

Anything having to do with drug deals and satanic rituals would scare the bejesus out of me, and more than likely it isnt a haunted place but just a bad place where bad things take place. Not saying it isnt haunted though, just maybe the presence of bad people doing bad things. I would rather chack out a haunted place with ghosts than running into real people who do bad things ya know. :whee: :wow:

Hello Wikkedlilgurl.
I was wondering if maybe the sickness you had could be from the gases from the mine or the altitude ( low). I know that for those of us like me with allergies would have a very hard time with the mold and things growing in that area.

#20 used-to-be-important

used-to-be-important

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:19 AM

Sorry to reply again so soon, but I was looking up info on the mines. It seems as if the info I found is a mixed bag of those who either worked there or had loved ones who worked there and those who went to do paranormal research.

I also saw what one of the members in here was talking about with the new project ( forgive me for not remebering your name) form Global Data. But all this information seems to come from a formun website. I searched Carter County KY and found nothing. The bodies that were found came from the same website as the rumors of the project being started. The closest info I found about any caves in KY was in Corbin KY called Congregation Cave. The rumors are that this cave located near Laurel Lake used to be used for Sunday Morning worship, it is said that in the morings you can hear singing coming from the cave and then at 11am it suddenly stops.

#21 kittyboo174

kittyboo174

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:56 AM

I think that Satanic cults can cause a spot to be haunted.

thanks for that story,KalebKellum

:weeee: Whirly Dude :headbang: I think thats tru...

#22 Nixie

Nixie

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:06 PM

I also saw what one of the members in here was talking about with the new project ( forgive me for not remebering your name) form Global Data. But all this information seems to come from a formun website. I searched Carter County KY and found nothing. The bodies that were found came from the same website as the rumors of the project being started.

Ok, maybe i'm taking this the wrong way, but it sounds like your attempting to discredit me.
We DO use local forums in this area, and I'd say it'd be a safe guess that you blog on a local forum or two in your area also. The forum you are refering to included links to some news articles about the Mushroom Mines.

The closest info I found about any caves in KY was in Corbin KY called Congregation Cave. The rumors are that this cave located near Laurel Lake used to be used for Sunday Morning worship, it is said that in the morings you can hear singing coming from the cave and then at 11am it suddenly stops.

The "Haunted Places" index on the web incorrectly states that the mines are in Soldier Kentucky, but Soldier is the neighboring village. Lawton Kentucky is where the mines are located. The original name of the mines is "The Lawton Limestone Mines".

Today people call the location the Mushroom Mines or Mushroom Cave(s) because it's last use (from mid to late 1970's) was the production of commercial mushrooms.

I too have searched the web for more information, but it's either not there or isn't listed with the search engines. Maybe others will share their encounters there someday.

BTW: If anyone has any information about haunts in Rowan, Carter or Bath Counties in Kentucky, Please Share :headbang:

Edited by Nixie, 27 April 2007 - 04:08 PM.

#23 William H (Bill) Greene

William H (Bill) Greene

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:18 PM

I also saw what one of the members in here was talking about with the new project ( forgive me for not remebering your name) form Global Data. But all this information seems to come from a formun website. I searched Carter County KY and found nothing. The bodies that were found came from the same website as the rumors of the project being started.

Ok, maybe i'm taking this the wrong way, but it sounds like your attempting to discredit me.
We DO use local forums in this area, and I'd say it'd be a safe guess that you blog on a local forum or two in your area also. The forum you are refering to included links to some news articles about the Mushroom Mines.

The closest info I found about any caves in KY was in Corbin KY called Congregation Cave. The rumors are that this cave located near Laurel Lake used to be used for Sunday Morning worship, it is said that in the morings you can hear singing coming from the cave and then at 11am it suddenly stops.

The "Haunted Places" index on the web incorrectly states that the mines are in Soldier Kentucky, but Soldier is the neighboring village. Lawton Kentucky is where the mines are located. The original name of the mines is "The Lawton Limestone Mines".

Today people call the location the Mushroom Mines or Mushroom Cave(s) because it's last use (from mid to late 1970's) was the production of commercial mushrooms.

I too have searched the web for more information, but it's either not there or isn't listed with the search engines. Maybe others will share their encounters there someday.

BTW: If anyone has any information about haunts in Rowan, Carter or Bath Counties in Kentucky, Please Share :Spaz:

hay there this is bill greene . im a top news man from olive hill and carter city. i run the website www.moreheadnews.com and we have dun articals on the mushroom mine and the ghosts and aliens of the mushroom mines. most peeple dont no what goes on their but at the moreheadnews.com we has done are best to post the storys about the secrets of the mushroom mines. we has picsures of lost of things. i is going to post that reel soon and i is going to edit my poste. go to are website to see picsures of the mushroom mines. oh and nixie i sent you a email a while back but you did not repond. does you still want my mushroom mine picsures?
HELLO I AM TOP NEWS MAN BILL GREENE FROM OLIVE HILL KY. I AM A PERANORMAL INVESTIGOR TOO AND I HAVE PICSURES OF GHOSTS AND DEVIL WARSHIPPERS AT THE MUSHROOM MINES! I RUN THE WWW.MOREHEADNEWS.COM WEBSITE EVIN THOW I AM FROM OLIVE HILL!Posted Image

#24 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,359 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 05 May 2007 - 10:26 PM

A warning for all those who might be visiting the site mentioned in the post above. Since the content of that site requires lot of proof reading with regards to spelling and grammar, you might be tempted to make unwarranted comments, please refrain from doing so.

Moreover, when you post any comments on that site, do so with your own risk, since they are publically displaying the IP address of the posters. GhostVillage will not be responsible for any issues that might arise.

Thank You

MoonChild
TownCouncil
GhostVillage.com

Posted Image

#25 Nixie

Nixie

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:01 PM

I don't think anyone will be visiting this site MoonChild. It's been bought up by Global Data and is being transformed into a HIGH SECURITY subterranian data storage facility. It'd be my guess that anyone caught in the area would be apprehended within minutes.

Now, as for saying we visited the location 17 years or so ago... just like many others from my neck of the woods have done could result in some kind of trouble is a little prepostorous... don't ya think? Especially if you consider the local sheriff at the time would drive by and wave at us.

But in these times I would consider your "warning" applicable to ANY haunted location.

Maybe you meant to say "Make sure that you have permission before you visit ANY haunted locations" ...huh?

Edited by MoonChild, 06 May 2007 - 10:53 PM.

#26 Nixie

Nixie

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:10 PM

So I misunderstood the above message. Now how do I delete my reply

#27 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,359 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:52 PM

So I misunderstood the above message. Now how do I delete my reply

Don't worry, though I was refering to the "web" site, your post holds value to all real time haunted sites too. So let it stand.
Posted Image

#28 Kiddo

Kiddo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:25 PM

:weeee: I've been to the mushroom mines... they are located fairly close to Olive Hill, KY and I live in Ashland, about 30 minutes away from there. That place has a presence about it. It's a scary place. We used to go down there and hang out but I noticed that I would become very ill and the next day I'd be in bed throwing up all day. What was even creepier about the whole situation is... I was down there with my roommate one time and I'd never been there with him. He looked at me and he was like "We need to go" and I agreed and we ran outta there... the next day we were both extremely sick.

#29 Kiddo

Kiddo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:27 PM

:ghost: I've been to the mushroom mines... they are located fairly close to Olive Hill, KY and I live in Ashland, about 30 minutes away from there. That place has a presence about it. It's a scary place. We used to go down there and hang out but I noticed that I would become very ill and the next day I'd be in bed throwing up all day. What was even creepier about the whole situation is... I was down there with my roommate one time and I'd never been there with him. He looked at me and he was like "We need to go" and I agreed and we ran outta there... the next day we were both extremely sick.

I lived in Olive Hill Kentucky all my life, have been living out of state now for several years. There is nothing ghostly or satanical about those mines. But the drug dealers run rampid and thats why people are afraid to go there at nighe

#30 A Real Character

A Real Character

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:07 PM

I lived in Olive Hill Kentucky all my life, have been living out of state now for several years. There is nothing ghostly or satanical about those mines. But the drug dealers run rampid and thats why people are afraid to go there at nighe

I joined just to reply. I went to the mines last night. It is one of the coolest places I have ever been to. I took tons of pictures. If anyone wants to see them let me know and I will post them or a link to them.

I was there at 9:30 pm. I did not see any drug dealers nor did I see any ghosts. It is currently a jobsite. I have no idea what is being built there but it is a rather large project.

Anyone who has an interest in this place get to it ASAP. Soon it will become just another piece of history destroyed. Locals saw me walking around any no one said a word to me.

PM me if you want to know anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users