• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 KalebKellum

KalebKellum

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Ghosthunting, all aspects of the paranormal and the occult. I love to read and write, Stephen King is my current favorite author. I enjoy cemetery photography, exploring old places, being a husband and a father.<br><br>I love ghosthunting here in New Orleans. There is something new and amazing to discover here everyday. The culture is like no other. I lived in New Orleans all my life and complained about it everyday. It took moving out of state to make me realize how much I love this city. Now I'm back in New Orleans and couldn't be happier.

Posted 02 August 2004 - 02:33 PM

I just recently moved to Kentucky from New Orleans, and one of the most chilling stories I've heard so far is that of the Kentucky Mushroom Mines in Lawton, Ky.

According to local gossip, Satanic covens gather there on certain nights of the year to conduct unholy rituals, some perhaps even involving murder. Two dead bodies were found there several years ago, and the locals will swear all day that it was the work of followers of Satan.

Drug deals are also reported to take place out at the Mushroom Mines, and that could also explain the corpses. The undeniable truth though is that locals are scared to death to go near the mines at night.
Knowledge is the clearest and most direct representation of utter power. The power to change your place on Earth, the power to change your fate, the very power to alter yourself. Thirst for this power and your inner longings will become satisfied and your external desires will become moot.http://www.geocities.com/kalebbkellum/

#2 opterasis

opterasis

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 02:38 PM

sounds like quite a place. do you have any plans to check it out during daylight?
myspace.com/corecontagionmy DVDAF

#3 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 05:17 PM

I think that Satanic cults can cause a spot to be haunted.

thanks for that story,KalebKellum

#4 KalebKellum

KalebKellum

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Ghosthunting, all aspects of the paranormal and the occult. I love to read and write, Stephen King is my current favorite author. I enjoy cemetery photography, exploring old places, being a husband and a father.<br><br>I love ghosthunting here in New Orleans. There is something new and amazing to discover here everyday. The culture is like no other. I lived in New Orleans all my life and complained about it everyday. It took moving out of state to make me realize how much I love this city. Now I'm back in New Orleans and couldn't be happier.

Posted 04 August 2004 - 06:12 PM

Yep, many occult practices that include spirit invocations and the such are responsible for hauntings.
Knowledge is the clearest and most direct representation of utter power. The power to change your place on Earth, the power to change your fate, the very power to alter yourself. Thirst for this power and your inner longings will become satisfied and your external desires will become moot.http://www.geocities.com/kalebbkellum/

#5 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:07 AM

All hauntings or just some of them?  Because I'm sure most of us could present a few haunted locations where there is no evidence or tale of occult practices whatsoever.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#6 KalebKellum

KalebKellum

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:11 AM

Just some of them. Hauntings occur for many unknown reasons, ranging from unfinished business to spirits who simply think they are still alive.

Occult practices such as Satanism can also produce many spiritual manifestations that aren't ghosts at all but perhaps negatives entities that were attracted by the ritual itself.

#7 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:18 AM

:)

It was just the way you worded it, is all.  Sounded like you were attributing all hauntings to occult practicies, when in reality you weren't.  

I was curious and did a brief search on these mines.  While I didn't initally find any paranormal info on the mines (only because I was quickly scanning the search results rather than looking hard...sometimes the paranormal info is several pages in), I did discover a news story that told of two murdered bodies being found in these mines back in Feb of this year....which will likely add to future tales for sure.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#8 KalebKellum

KalebKellum

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 12:56 PM

Indeed it will. I'm really new to Kentucky, so I'm basically doing a lot of prelim work on the ghost stories around here too. But one thing is for sure, the locals, especially the older ones, what nothing to do with the Mushroom Mines.

#9 Guest_Ghostbuter20_*

Guest_Ghostbuter20_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2004 - 05:56 PM

Why are they called Mushroom Mines? Are they actually mines? What happened?

#10 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 06:08 PM

they're abandoned mines that were latered used to grow mushrooms...the kind you buy at the grocery store not the magic kind...lol

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#11 Guest_Ghostbuter20_*

Guest_Ghostbuter20_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2004 - 08:26 AM

Seeing as though I couldn't care less about the 'magic kind', that explains it. Can you imagine how big those mushrooms would've gotten? Lord!

#12 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 11:26 AM

Hello Kaleb.
Looks like your in my neck of the woods here in Ky. Where are the mushroom mines located or the largest town close to them?
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#13 KalebKellum

KalebKellum

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 10:08 AM

Hey Secret, you can find the Mines in Lawton, which is in Carter County. I don't think there are really any large cities in that area though.

#14 zman219

zman219

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:38 AM

It is true the experence is more terrifing though

#15 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,352 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:40 AM

Welcome to GV zman219! Enjoy your stay!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users