9 replies to this topic

#1 CrackDaWhip

CrackDaWhip

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 09:33 PM

Why is it that I can't just look at an area and see orbs, but the lense of a camera can see them?

Orbs are merely reflections of light on dust seen through the prism of a lense. Or they are dust and smudges on the lense itself.

I know people WANT to see all these paranormal "orbs" and all, but it just takes a wee bit of common sense to realize it is a crock.

#2 plindboe

plindboe

Has a pseudoscience radar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:I'm an atheist and a skeptic regarding paranormal beliefs, but nonetheless I find other people's belief systems fascinating. I think it's important for people who hold different beliefs to discuss with, and learn from, one another. The free exchange of ideas are essential to progress, and it's no coincidence that mankind's two greatest ideas, democracy and science, are based on this.<br /><br />Feel free to message me, if you want to talk. :)

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:03 PM

Indeed. Mundane reasons can so easily account for orbs in photos so I too find it amazing that people actually believe that these anomalies are paranormal. It would be comparably silly to people believing that the red eye effect was paranormal.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

#3 hairpin

hairpin

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 01:16 AM

I take most orb photos with a grain of salt. If you can discredit so many of them as dust, it's safe to say they're probably all dust.
You cannot use the paranormal to prove the paranormal. -Cody Polstonwww.sgha.netSouthwest Ghost Hunters Association - SHIELD Team LeaderThe 10 BIGGEST mistakes made by ghost hunters.

#4 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 24 December 2004 - 01:16 PM

Actually not, I too see so many "orbs" posted (especialy in spiritography LoL) that are mundane causal, I understand the frustration that leads one to be tempted to say that ALL orbs are mundane causal. Its simply not true.

How many scientific discoverys would we be deprived of if researchers generalized everything to fit within their own personal viewpoints and limited experiences? The ability to consider, even to explore, other possibilities is a great gift given to those who really seek the truth.

In dealing with the paranormal, one must strive for the patience to sort through a ton of misinterpreted photos and events in order to find the one, or two, that are truely paranormal and worth additional consideration. B)
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#5 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 24 December 2004 - 07:31 PM

A majority of the orb phots I've seen are dust or other foreign particles. SOs usually have an intense glow that may be dim or bright depending ot the amount of energy the spirit uses. By intense, I mean the glowing is even throughout the orb.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#6 bizkithill

bizkithill

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 10:58 AM

Orb Article <<<<<<<<<clickie

#7 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 09:18 AM

While I don't care for "Dr. Paul's" slant of the article and his attitude, the information from Canon is quite useful indeed. I have said for along time that false orbs don't have anything to do with the CCD chip itself, but rather with photographic technique. Thanks for sharing the link. :lol:
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#8 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 07:17 PM

Wasn't this topic already posted :blink:
http://www.ghostvill...?showtopic=3887

#9 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Interests:I love to cook and try new and different recipes. I adore animals of all kinds. Music is another great love of mine. Paranormal and metaphysical subjects of all kinds. Nature, drawing and painting, writing, photography, reading. I am learning how to knit...but I'm not very good at it. The list is endless. The one thing that I don't have a big love for is sports. I wish I could like it, but just can't get into it for some reason.

Posted 26 December 2004 - 07:28 PM

If it is actually "dust on the lens", then why aren't there orbs in all of the pictures...especially if they are taken only seconds after each other?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.Posted Image

#10 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 09:11 PM

Not usually dust ON the lens Cyn, just dust NEAR the lens & overexposed by the nearness of the flash. B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users