Weird Dream

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Interests:I love to cook and try new and different recipes. I adore animals of all kinds. Music is another great love of mine. Paranormal and metaphysical subjects of all kinds. Nature, drawing and painting, writing, photography, reading. I am learning how to knit...but I'm not very good at it. The list is endless. The one thing that I don't have a big love for is sports. I wish I could like it, but just can't get into it for some reason.

Posted 28 December 2004 - 07:52 PM

I am sure that this is just a coincidence, but about 2 weeks ago I had a strange dream. It seemed so real and disturbing that I even mentioned it to my fiancee.

I can't really describe it in detail because you know how dreams are. I was floating on a raft in the middle of some ocean when all of sudden this huge tidal wave (it was as high as our skyscrapers in NYC) slowly started coming towards me. I was panicked. All of a sudden I was in a car with my fiancee and he said "let's get out of here and find a hotel". I said "the hell with the hotel, let's just hightail it out of here altogether before that thing hits us!". That was the end of the dream. It was so scary, but I had no clue as to the location or anything. It was a very vague dream, but it disturbed me nonetheless.

When I learned of the Tsunami in Asia, it triggered the memory of my dream and it freaked me out.

Just thought I'd share.
:)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.Posted Image

#2 Sinestro

Sinestro

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 08:36 PM

Hey Cyn, The point behind the majority of remembered dreams is to show us something we're not consciously aware of or acting upon. A very powerful way to understand the dream and bring about its goal is this:

1) What feelings does it bring about within me in the dream and how do I experience or react to this? Find the feeling in your body and then ask yourself where does this same feeling appear in my waking life (especially in the day or few days preceding the dream). This then gives you insight about what the dream is speaking about. Then you can ask yourself, "How do I experience or react to this in waking life? And what new information might the dream be trying to give me?"
2) What choices or actions within my life does this dream affect or bring about?
3) Is this my best scenario or would I prefer a different ending that makes me feel freer/happier/more empowered? What is the best ending you can think of?
4) If you have decided upon a new, more positive ending, sit quietly before bed and visualize the dream but with the new ending.

Here are some of the most common themes (with positive outcome examples for each scenario) and suggestions about what the dreamer might look at in waking life:

chase or attack : The pursuer usually represents a fearful aspect of our shadow, and hence an exaggerated version of a denied or inhibited portion of our own personality that would benefit us if integrated and appropriately expressed. (ideal outcome: standing our ground, facing and dialoguing with our pursuer, and eventually, acceptance and embrace)

falling dream : Am I feeling heavy, unsupported, worried about something? How can I feel freer, lighter? Also: do I need to be more grounded? (ideal outcome: feeling safe, landing, floating or flying)

car out of control : Is life too hectic, out of control? How could I slow down, act more peacefully and "enjoy the ride"? (ideal outcome: driving well & within speed limits, walking peacefully)

unprepared, late for or failing an exam : Am I feeling unprepared for some upcoming event? Unconfident about my performance? Am I worrying needlessly or do I actually need more preparation in order to feel confident and do a good job? (ideal outcome: feeling assured about oneself, performing well)

stuck in slow motion, unable to move or make any noise : Where am I feeling stuck in life, like I’m getting nowhere or unable to voice my true feelings? What can I do to change it? (ideal outcome: relaxation and acceptance, and eventually, peaceful action & self-expression)

embarrassed to be nude or naked in public, though nobody seems to notice or mind : Where in life am I feeling unconfident, embarrassed, unskilled? This type of dream is usually pointing out, by the fact that the other characters in the dream don’t seem to notice, that we are the only one viewing our self this way, and usually mistakenly so. (ideal outcome: comfortable with oneself as is, confident)

personal injury, dismemberment : What part of my life—not usually the physical body—have I been neglecting, mistreating, forgetting—i.e. dis-membering as opposed to remembering? (ideal outcome: healing)

trapped, locked in : Where am I feeling trapped in life? How might I open myself up to a new perspective, and explore new courses of action? (ideal outcome: breaking out, exploration)

drowning, threatening waves, tsunami (tidal waves) or flooding : Am I blocking, denying or feeling overwhelmed by my emotions? How might I better acknowledge, accept, and feel these feelings—which often include vulnerability? (ideal outcome: swimming, surfing, breathing underwater)

helpless, abandoned, or crying baby, monkey, bunny or small animal : Have I been taking care of my "inner child"? Maybe I need to laugh more, play outdoors, express my creativity, be more spontaneous, or enjoy more personal warmth and intimacy? (ideal outcome: caring for baby or animal, playing, simply having fun)
-Chris-

#3 hairpin

hairpin

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 08:52 PM

I've had that "tidal wave" dream a few times. Usually I'm in the water trying to duck under it but I end up being dragged down by the current and I can't get air. It's by far, one of my most dreaded dream sequences.
You cannot use the paranormal to prove the paranormal. -Cody Polstonwww.sgha.netSouthwest Ghost Hunters Association - SHIELD Team LeaderThe 10 BIGGEST mistakes made by ghost hunters.

#4 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Interests:I love to cook and try new and different recipes. I adore animals of all kinds. Music is another great love of mine. Paranormal and metaphysical subjects of all kinds. Nature, drawing and painting, writing, photography, reading. I am learning how to knit...but I'm not very good at it. The list is endless. The one thing that I don't have a big love for is sports. I wish I could like it, but just can't get into it for some reason.

Posted 28 December 2004 - 09:23 PM

;) Thanks Sinestro for all of your interesting info about dreams. I definitely focused in on the one regarding the "Tidal Wave". That was the very first time in my life that I had dreamt of one, so it really spooked me. I had never had any dreams about the other categories in your post with the exception of "falling". I couldn't really say that it was a bona fide dream because it always happened when I was just ready to doze off...then all of a sudden I would feel like I was falling and I would wake with a start with my heart pounding.

I have had other recurring dreams. One of which I interpret as an obstacle dream. In this dream, I am always climbing...sometimes it is on a rickety ladder (lacking some of the rungs) leading to a trap door to some dark attic apartment of some kind. It is such a struggle to get up that ladder. I have to hoist myself up and twist myself in all kinds of positions. I feel as though I am trying out for the Olympics (it's no wonder I don't feel rested when I wake up in the morning :)) In this dream I have to do this numerous times (why I don't know). But, each time I do this I learn a little bit more and it becomes easier.

Another weird dream, is I am always searching for a public restroom. I am in a huge hotel with many floors and elevators and I am always looking for my favorite restroom. Riding the elevators, climbing stairs...walking through corridors.

And finally, the grand finale....The same plane crash dream that I have been having on and off for about 20 years. I am usually always on the ground or in a car. I look up at the sky and I see a plane (could be a jet or a helicopter) just spiraling down. It could hit the water or the ground, but everytime I see it in my dream it is so familiar....like I had really witnessed it in real time. It hits water or ground and explodes into flames and I am panicked that I will be hit by the flying debris, so I run. I am never usually on the plane when it goes down, but a few nights ago I was. The plane was slowly going down but I woke up before we made impact. Scary stuff.

So, do you think I need a shrink? :huh:
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.Posted Image

#5 Sinestro

Sinestro

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 09:33 PM

Wow Cyn you have some interesting dreams, as for a shrink I do not think it is necessary. I have also had a tidal wave dream, where a big 60 foot wave hit me, but before it did I woke up.(I know where I would have gotten the 60 foot waves from, I got them from Ivan, off shore the waves were 50 to 60 and on they were 20.) Yeah and I have also had the falling dream where I was in a basement and climbed up the wooden stairs and fell back in slow motion then before I hit the ground I woke up. You are diffidently luck you can remember your dreams I can’t remember any of mine at all.
-Chris-

#6 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 28 December 2004 - 09:39 PM

Sinestro....do you have any info about dreaming about houses? I always have this dream where I live in this HUGE rambling old Victorian house where I discover room after room without end full of stuff I didn't know was there.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#7 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 09:42 PM

Wow Cyn you have some interesting dreams, as for a shrink I do no think it is neccesary. I have also had a tidal wave dream, where a big 60 foot wave hit me, but before it did I woke up.(I know where I would have gotten the 60 foot waves from, I got them from Ivan, off shore the waves were 50 to 60 and on they were 20.) Yeah and I have also had the falling dream where I was in a basment and climbed up the wooden stairs and fell back in slow motion then before I hit the ground I woke up. You are defidentally luck you can remember your dreams I cannont remember any of mine at all.

Actually, I think you are the lucky one. Sometimes the dreams I have I wish I could forget. I dream in vivid detail almost every night. It's like that in my waking life as well. I remember everything...and sometimes that is a curse.

Isn't it weird that in those falling, or impact dreams we alway wake up before we hit. I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that it is our soul's defense mechanism. If we really made impact in our dream...it would surely kill us just as if we were experiencing the actual event in real time. Interesting concept...makes sense! :)

#8 Sinestro

Sinestro

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 09:48 PM

Vampchick you may want to check this site out I just did a Google search and found this. Cyn I have heard of that, I was told a long time ago that if you hit the ground in your dream, you die in your sleep, I think it is myth though.

http://www.experienc...ival.com/dreams

Hey just found this Vampchick I have been on here before and read some of the replies, they are interesting.

http://www.dreamslee...ngs_houses.html
-Chris-

#9 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 28 December 2004 - 09:51 PM

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

And I too have heard (from my mother actually) that when you are falling in a dream, your heart is skipping beats, if you land, your heart stops, jolting awake is your heart working overtime to re-establish it's 'pattern'.

But, she's a banker....lol....not a doctor or a dream expert. She was likely repeating what someone else had told her.

Hmmm...did a cursory scan....seems the house is me and the rooms are my personality...so since I keep running into rooms I didn't know were there and finding things in them, I have a lot to learn about myself still.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#10 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 10:03 PM

Vampchick you may want to check this site out I just did a Google search and found this. Cyn I have heard of that, I was told a long time ago that if you hit the ground in your dream, you die in your sleep, I think it is myth though.

http://www.experienc...ival.com/dreams

Hey just found this Vampchick I have been on here before and read some of the replies, they are interesting.

http://www.dreamslee...ngs_houses.html

Hmmm, I guess we'll never know for sure because we were the lucky ones that never hit the ground. Do you think that maybe those that have died in their sleep had actually hit the ground? Sounds a little crazy, but it just popped into my head. Food for thought. On that happy note...Sweet Dreams! I'll see what I can conjure up tonight.

Love to all! :)

#11 Sinestro

Sinestro

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 10:35 PM

Well Cyn it could be a possibility, but I highly doubt it.
-Chris-

#12 trudy_causey

trudy_causey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 01:15 AM

the dreams you have about falling is when you have an out of body experience and you are returning to your body it is your sole re-entering your body.I have dreams that as I am having them the experience I am seeing is really happening at the same time. I had a dream about a murder that happened here in the town I live in and I didn't know anyone envolved. It was a love triangle thing. I saw the entire murder and felt the impact of the bullet. When I watched the news at noon that day I heard about it and I like to have fell out of my chair. Now what would you call that?

#13 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 08:16 AM

Vamp! I have to read the link about the house dreams. I have the same kind of dreams all the time! I had a very vivid one last night where we had bought this huge house from some people and everything that was in it was ours now. It was on a lake, and there was an outside ramp that went down to a patio that overlooked the lake. Next to it was a covered area with tables and an outdoor firplace.

The bedroom had antique furniture in it that was now ours. I looked around in this one room and there were hundreds of nick nacks lining the windowsills. After winding around and around the house, i started feeling overcome that we had gotten ourselves into too much.

Anyways, I could go on, but i have had these kind of dreams many times.

When I was a teenager, I used to get the tidal wave dreams all the time. I think it was the pressures of puberty, the feeling of being overcome by disaster.

I also used to have recurring dreams that my parents turned into devil worshippers.
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#14 Sinestro

Sinestro

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 08:41 AM

Has anyone here ever had a False Awakening? I have and it was scary, everything seemed so real, like I was actually there.

the dreams you have about falling is when you have an out of body experience and you are returning to your body it is your sole re-entering your body.

I don't believe that, I think our dreams are all in our mind, although I do believe that they all have meaning or tell us something.
-Chris-

#15 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,353 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 29 December 2004 - 08:45 AM

Cyn, I assume in your case, it was the subconcious memories of fatal tragedies, getting visualized.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users