Stull Cemetery in Kansas City, Kansas

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Tomteta

Tomteta

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigating. hanging out with friends playing guitar and singing

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:12 AM

Has anyone heard anything about this cemetery or have been there.  Ther is alot of talk about it online but i really want to know first hand from people if youve heard anything or have been there.   It is known as one of the "gateways to hell" and the devil is supposed to appear tehre a certain time of year.  Either way its sounds like an interesting place to check out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

oh and i also found this on a site:  
    The town of Stull is located about ten miles west of Lawrence, Kansas in the northeast part of the state. It can be found by traveling west on Route 40 and then traveling straight west to Stull. The town can be found on the northwestern edge of Clinton Lake and close to the Clinton State Park. Visitors to the cemetery are advise to go there at their own risk.
Posted Image

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,400 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:10 AM

It is known as one of the "gateways to hell" and the devil is supposed to appear tehre a certain time of year.

who, me?  ;D
Posted Image

#3 SokMunkie

SokMunkie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Location:x0|Kansas City|USA||0|0|MO,Missourix0|Kansas City|USA||0|0|MO,Missouri

Posted 19 May 2004 - 11:58 PM

Living in Kansas City, I know a little about this.  It's not actually in Kansas City, but about 50 miles west.  Most of the stories have been discounted and it is mostly dismissed as a hoax.

#4 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 12:01 AM

welcome to gv sokmunkie..what do you think

#5 gretchen28

gretchen28

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 08:13 PM

i went there in 1990 as a freshman at the U of Kansas....  you couldn't go near it because Stull cops had NOTHING better to do than patrol the cemetery.  it was beautiful yet scary up there on that hill.
i read it was torn down a few years ago.
the rumor was that you could throw bottles at the walls and they wouldn't break.
Urge Overkill even had a CD called "Stull" which i bought in 93 but have never listened to.
oh well.

#6 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 08:57 PM

Welcome to the village, I hope you enjoy your stay. Find the cd and listen to it LOL.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#7 Agent_Scully

Agent_Scully

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 03:55 AM

I'm also in Kansas, but I haven't heard of this cemetery before. I will ask around and see if anyone I know has been there, or had any experiences.

There's another cemetery in the KC area that's had several reports of paranormal activity. It's called Union Hill Cemetery. I think KC Ghosthunters went there once and took several pictures, and they captured what appeared to be several orbs.

#8 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 05:47 AM

Hi Agent_Scully, welcome to the village.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#9 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,400 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 21 May 2004 - 05:53 AM

welcomes all NEW friends of GV :)
Posted Image

#10 Agent_Scully

Agent_Scully

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 03:40 AM

Thanks for all the welcomes! :-)

#11 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 08:51 PM

They say stull cemetery is the gate to hell

http://www.prairiegh....com/stull.html

http://thebrgs.homes....com/stull.html

It sounds like its a haunted site

#12 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 05:25 AM

here is a site with pics of the old church.

http://www.washburn....KStravel/stull/

#13 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 05:52 AM

Thanks for the link Cajun. they say when it rains it does't get wet in there. who knows :o

#14 binarybloodflow

binarybloodflow

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 12:02 PM

In 1980, an article appeared in the Kansas City Times that added further fuel to the rumors about Stull Cemetery and the abandoned church. The article was quoted as saying that the Devil chose two places to appear on Earth every Halloween. One of them was the 'tumbleweed hamlet' of Stull, Kansas and the other, which occurs simultaneously at midnight, is someplace on the 'desolate plain of India.' From these sites, according to the article, the Devil gathers all the people who died violent deaths over the past year for a prance around the Earth at the witching hour.

that's an article about stull.  i've been there a few times and here's what you need to know if you decide to go:

when you are there (and this is the best part) don't be disappointed, the church IS torn down and is no longer a very haunted looking place. FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS:

There are "stairs" that lead somewhere down.  They are behind the chruch on the right side of the church if you are facing the front of the church.  they are covered with overgrown grass, so it's not easy to find them, it took a friend and I about 3 hours.  "Take a flashlight and plenty of batteries, because you will have a ton of trouble keeping the flashlight working and it will go out a lot." says another who has been there.

THIS IS THE KEY TO EXPERIENCING THE STULL CHURCH. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.

if you don't find them within hours, don't give up.  

good luck everyone who wants to visit stull. personally, i've been there thrice, and only once did things happen.  i went with groups the other times and nothing happens really, also it's harder to keep hidden.  i've never experienced the broken bottle phenomena, but i recently heard that if you bring a crucifix with you, glass bottles will not break against the walls of the church, the only problem is, there are no more walls.  and now for the good part, and i am NOT in any way lying in this story. it was one of the greatest experiences in my life.

after my friend and i had found the staircase, we could barely lift the stone that covered it, and when we did, i felt compelled to go down, so compelled that i forgot my camera.  i had my flashlight, but it kept going out.  we went down the stairs anyway, and all it was was a very small room, probably a storm cellar or just a cellar maybe? i never found out, but there was nothing in the room and upon feeling the walls, nothing strange seemed to be down there.  we went back up the stairs, disappointed, replaced the stone, and left.  we walked back to our car about 2 miles out of town and drove home. about 20 minutes of driving and the sun began to come up. i looked at the clock in the car and it was 6:30am.  my friend and i arrived at the place where are car was at 8pm, got to the church at 9, and three hours to find the staircase equals to about 1am. what seemed like a few minutes in the cellar was five hours. how this happened, i still don't know. but i've never been back to the stull church... something like that is just too wierd.

i think in about 5 years, stull will be a lost story, and maybe.. just maybe i can get in on halloween. you see it's been so big that on halloween in 1999 about 200 people including a local news station gathered at the cemetary and were told to leave at 11:30pm, 30minutes before the witching hour. kinda makes you wonder.  i don't know if i really want to be in the cellar during the witching hour. kinda scary.

hope this helps some of you.

here is a wonderful link: http://www.geocities...a/Outback/2960/

#15 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 07:38 PM

Welcome to gv binarybloodflow, I hope you enjoy your stay. That is very interesting about the stairs. I have never heard about that one before. And that is a fantastic link.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users