Photo

THE BOOGY MAN

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 aikman8

aikman8

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:i like video games on occasion. i like to sing, play guitar and write music and poetry. i like tennis, bike riding, hiking and camping. my passions are researching the paranormal, spirit seeking and e.v.p. research which i have had much success at.

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:07 PM

we as humans have the need to come up with a name for everything so we can put an idea, a feeling or most often, a face to certain things we don't understand. the boogyman, like satan has been used over centuries, most likely in different ways to control, manipulate, even scare us into submission using our most powerful emotion, fear. the boogyman is also what is inside of all of us. our deepest fears, desires, hates, wants, needs, secrets and probably most of all, our fantasies. the boogyman is niether physical or spiritual (which is why it can't be seen) but is what is in and is part of each and every one of us as humans. it is regarded as a negative thing because it is a part of all of those things about us that we believe or were led to believe are negative. we made it, therefore it is. while i do have every faith in what my creator has created, i hold very little faith in what man has created and the boogyman is one of them. what is ironic is that i have an up and coming web site that implies this name.
aikman8

#17 singer

singer

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy music and practice the dicipline of &quot;Happy.&quot; It takes constant effort and attention to create and maintain a peaceful happy life. <br /><br />I've been told that I live in a &quot;pink bubble world&quot;. Ha! It's taken a life of experiencing the dark side to create this sweet abundant life. It has all of the colors, not just pink. What it doesn't have are people who are disturbing and sick minded. There is no room in my life for hurtful abusive friends or family. <br /><br />After 40 years as a professional musician, entertainer and producer, I now teach. I love it. No more travel or long late nights with strangers who pretend to be friends. <br /><br />My home is the creative result of my happy state of mind. There are beautiful flowers and huge gold fish. The squirrels come every day to gather the nuts I provide. Two feeders keep dozens of hummingbirds busy.<br /><br />Four days each week, people come to learn what a life time of hard living has taught me. They come to learn how to play. We play music.

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:57 AM

we as humans have the need to come up with a name for everything so we can put an idea, a feeling or most often, a face to certain things we don't understand. the boogyman, like satan has been used over centuries, most likely in different ways to control, manipulate, even scare us into submission using our most powerful emotion, fear. the boogyman is also what is inside of all of us. our deepest fears, desires, hates, wants, needs, secrets and probably most of all, our fantasies. the boogyman is niether physical or spiritual (which is why it can't be seen) but is what is in and is part of each and every one of us as humans. it is regarded as a negative thing because it is a part of all of those things about us that we believe or were led to believe are negative. we made it, therefore it is. while i do have every faith in what my creator has created, i hold very little faith in what man has created and the boogyman is one of them. what is ironic is that i have an up and coming web site that implies this name.

I actually researched this yesterday. I came across a song by Ray Stevens titled, "The Booger Man" (another name for the "boogyman"). I came across two sites that explored the origins of the boogey man.

The first site said that it originated in France. The Christian chruch had become established in various places in Europe and Eastern Europe. One of those places was Bulgaria. As the Catholic chruch began to take over, they were unable to convert the Christians in Bugaria. I don't recall the exact French spelling, but the French word for Bugarians was something like "Bugaires" (pronouced: Boog-airs). The good French Catholic clergy started name-calling. The word, "Bugaires" (or however you spell it) became synonymous with sodomite. The article said the word became "Booger" when brought to England. To this day in England, to call someone a "Booger" is to call him a sodomite.

Here, in California, the "boogeyman" or "bogeyman" is that guy that lives in your closet or under the bed that may come out and get you if you don't stay and bed and get to sleep.
SingerJoy is a way a traveling for the singer of songs."

#18 Sean V

Sean V

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Sasquatch Research, General Cryptozoology, Camping, Hiking, Lokean Spirituality, Runes &amp; Runecasting, Medieval Recreation, Reading, Writing

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:12 AM

One other thing that may be related to this came to mind yesterday.

Years ago I read The Encyclopedia of the Occult by Lewis Spence. In this book he lists a creature known as an Alu-Demon or Alu-Fiend. It is said that this creature waits in dark corners of a room and will jump on a person if it knows it has been spotted. I cannot remember where this legend came from, but it could have been the precursor the Boogeyman.

Once again, just a thought.
Western Canadian Sasquatch Research Organization (WCSRO)"I'll just keeping on looking 'til I find the darn thing." - Rene Dahinden, 1976.

#19 Ghost_Girl_94

Ghost_Girl_94

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:38 AM

As a small child, I never believed in "The boogeyman". but more alike ghosts. I used to believe there were ghosts were under my bed and in my closet, but as it turns oout, they were just in my closet! :wow: happy halloween!

#20 MrVoodoo

MrVoodoo

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:57 AM

I always assumed that it was just a generic name for the things that lurked in the dark, and another name for the monster under the bed.
DARE YOU PLAY? - Free Online Ouija BoardPosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users