19 replies to this topic

#1 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,364 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 30 December 2004 - 09:28 AM

We have all heard the stories of this thing. Ever sense we were small children and even when our parents were children they heard the stories. What are the stories based on? Is there something real behind the storied? does anybody know anything about this subject?
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#2 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 09:31 AM

Good question Kats, never really thought about it. I will have to do some snooping around and see if i can find anything.
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#3 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 09:35 AM

Voila! Kats! Here ya go, one source says the boogey man orginated from a tribe of pirates in Indonesia called the Bugis tribe.

Read more here:

http://www.irtc.org/...31/boogeymn.txt
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#4 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 31 December 2004 - 10:58 PM

I always seen it spelled "bogey man"! Hmm, time for a googel search. It'll probably give me lyrics for the AC/DC song. I'll see!

*edit*

follow this link --> The Bogey Man

Or this one --> The bogeyman
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#5 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,364 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 06:16 PM

thats pretty cool BRIDGET and Axman...thanks ;)
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Moon Queen

Moon Queen

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:I like to go on the computer, sing play the piano and listen to my favortie music. Hanging out with friends is cool and we always have a rockin' good time! lol

Posted 02 January 2005 - 12:29 AM

Hey every one I'm new i just became a member tonight. Anyways the subject of the boogy man has always intrusted me. I meen some people clam to even have seen things in the night but can it just be our minds running all over. I think that we want to sometimes be scared and we make our selfs see things but who is the boogy man really. Is he said to be one person of a particular shape and size or can he be anything we let him be?
Posted Image"Don't think about tomorrow while your living in today!!"

#7 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 02 January 2005 - 01:38 PM

Hey every one I'm new i just became a member tonight. Anyways the subject of the boogy man has always intrusted me. I meen some people clam to even have seen things in the night but can it just be our minds running all over. I think that we want to sometimes be scared and we make our selfs see things but who is the boogy man really. Is he said to be one person of a particular shape and size or can he be anything we let him be?

Personally, I feel that the Bogeyman is anything that goes bump in the night! In the case of children it's a negative reinforcment to make kids behave!
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#8 Moon Queen

Moon Queen

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:I like to go on the computer, sing play the piano and listen to my favortie music. Hanging out with friends is cool and we always have a rockin' good time! lol

Posted 02 January 2005 - 03:05 PM

I have to agree
Posted Image"Don't think about tomorrow while your living in today!!"

#9 Sean V

Sean V

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Sasquatch Research, General Cryptozoology, Camping, Hiking, Lokean Spirituality, Runes & Runecasting, Medieval Recreation, Reading, Writing

Posted 25 September 2006 - 03:24 AM

I have always wondered if the name "Boogeyman" or "Bogeyman" came from the Deep South (USA) name for Sasquatch/ Bigfoot. In Alabama, one of the names used to identify Sasquatch/ Bigfoot is "Booger".

Could the name "Booger" or "Booger Man" have been shortened to "Boogeyman"?

This is just a thought on the subject, nothing more.
Western Canadian Sasquatch Research Organization (WCSRO)"I'll just keeping on looking 'til I find the darn thing." - Rene Dahinden, 1976.

#10 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,364 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 03:43 AM

You could be on to something there Sean...interesting.
and on Facebook

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,359 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 25 September 2006 - 03:54 AM

I agree too, it could be possible.
Posted Image

#12 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:05 AM

I have always wondered if the name "Boogeyman" or "Bogeyman" came from the Deep South (USA) name for Sasquatch/ Bigfoot. In Alabama, one of the names used to identify Sasquatch/ Bigfoot is "Booger".

Could the name "Booger" or "Booger Man" have been shortened to "Boogeyman"?

This is just a thought on the subject, nothing more.

Never heard of this one before but it could possibly be derived from that.

#13 ScarlettAngel

ScarlettAngel

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal would be a good one :)

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:50 PM

I can't say I know too much about the boogeyman but from what I have heard, he likes to frequent closets *Hmmm so do spirits* and he likes to scare the crap out of kids *hmmm so do spirits*. So I'd have to say it's a general term for poltergeist activity in the night. But who knows?
Everything happens for a reason. Every bad storm is a bridge to a new beginning. Hope is something one should never take from another...for hope is what drives us to believe in a better tomorrow. Maybe people in the world wouldn't be so ugly if they were a little happier...so instead of harm I wish them well. What do you believe in?[i][color=#000066][font=Times New Roman][size=3]

#14 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:47 PM

The term likely originates from ancient Rome and the early church. The term Bogomil refers to a heretical sect (from the early Churches point of view) that spread teachings contrary to church doctrine. People were told to flee to the monasterys to avoid contamination of the Bogomil teachings (they took their doctrines seriously back then). Hense flee or the bogomils will get you! Easy to imagine how it changed over the centuries from bogomil to boogyman. IMHO ;) :redbounce: :purplebounce:
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#15 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:12 PM

From dictionary.com:

"American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source bo·gle (bgl) Pronunciation Key
n.
A hobgoblin; a bogey.

[Scots bogill, perhaps ultimately from Welsh bwg, ghost, hobgoblin.] "

I had always figured that was it, seems by far the most likely source, probably the source of the Southern term 'Booger' as well. ( In Welsh, 'w' can be a vowel like the 'oo' in 'book'.)
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users