• This topic is locked This topic is locked
366 replies to this topic

#31 Sinestro

Sinestro

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 10:09 PM

Well That is all the quotes that I am posting for now.
-Chris-

#32 Sinestro

Sinestro

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:29 PM

Here is Quote that I got from the Movie Clownhouse.

"No man can hide from his fears; as they are a part of him, they will always know where he is hiding."
-Chris-

#33 Sinestro

Sinestro

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 11:09 AM

My Quotes

"Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; where it is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I'm not absolutely sure of anything and there are many things I don't know anything about, such as whether it means anything to ask why we're here....

I don't have to know the answer. I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."

"If God created the world, where was he before creation?. . . How could God have made the world without any raw material?. . . If he is ever perfect and complete, how could the will to create have arisen in him?"

"I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the type of which we are conscious in ourselves. An individual who should survive his physical death is also beyond my comprehension, nor do I wish it otherwise; such notions are for the fears or absurd egoism of feeble souls."

"So long as the universe had a beginning, we could suppose it had a creator. But if the universe is really completely self-contained, having no boundary or edge, it would have neither beginning nor end: it would simply be. What place then, for a creator?"

"Observation, reason, and experiment make up what we call the scientific method."

"What I have done is to show that it is possible for the way the universe began to be determined by the laws of science. In that case, it would not be necessary to appeal to God to decide on how the universe began. This doesn't prove that there is no God, only that God is not necessary."

"Science is expanding, and with it our vision of the universe. although this new and constantly changing view may not always give us comfort, it does have the virtue of truth according to our most effective resources for acquiring knowledge. No philosophy, moral outlook, or religion can be inconsistent with the findings of science and hope to endure among educated people."

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence."

"Science is of value because it can produce something."

"Doubt everything. Find your own light."

"God either wants to eliminate bad things and cannot, or can but does not want to, or neither wishes to nor can, or both wants to and can. If he wants to and cannot, he is weak -- and this does not apply to god. If he can but does not want to, then he is spiteful -- which is equally foreign to god's nature. If he neither wants to nor can, he is both weak and spiteful and so not a god. If he wants to and can, which is the only thing fitting for a god, where then do bad things come from? Or why does he not eliminate them?"

"It is always better to have no ideas than false ones; to believe nothing, than to believe what is wrong."

"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

"A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."

"In spite of all the yearnings of men, no one can produce a single fact or reason to support the belief in God and in personal immortality."

"It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error."

"There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as The Dark Ages."

"Don't believe anything. Regard things on a scale of probabilities. The things that seem most absurd, put under 'Low Probability', and the things that seem most plausible, you put under 'High Probability'. Never believe anything. Once you believe anything, you stop thinking about it. The more things you believe, the less mental activity. If you believe something, and have an opinion on every subject, then your brain activity stops entirely, which is clinically considered a sign of death, nowadays in medical practice. So put things on a scale or probability, and never believe or disbelieve anything entirely."

"The Bible tells us to be like God, and then on page after page it describes God as a mass murderer. This may be the single most important key to the political behavior of Western Civilization."

"God is by definition the holder of all possible knowledge, it would be impossible for him to have faith in anything. Faith, then, is built upon ignorance and hope."

"We are all atheists, some of us just believe in fewer gods than others. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

"I would recommend that skeptics devote even more effort than they do now to understanding the reasons why so many people want or need to believe."

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

"If you want to reason about faith, and offer a reasoned (and reason-responsive) defense of faith as an extra category of belief worthy of special consideration, I'm eager to play. I certainly grant the existence of the phenomenon of faith; what I want to see is a reasoned ground for taking faith seriously as a way of getting to the truth , and not, say, just as a way people comfort themselves and each other (a worthy function that I do take seriously). But you must not expect me to go along with your defence of faith as a path to truth if at any point you appeal to the very dispensation you are supposedly trying to justify. Before you appeal to faith when reason has you backed into a corner, think about whether you really want to abandon reason when reason is on your side."

"There is a significant difference between having no belief in a God and believing there is no God... "
-Chris-

#34 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 10 February 2005 - 09:21 AM

to understand everything is to forgive everything --> Buddha
Posted Image

#35 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 01:16 AM

God is with those who persevere.
Posted Image

#36 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 10:07 AM

You can be committed to success or you can be committed to failure - it is entirely upto you.
Posted Image

#37 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:12 AM

You have absolute control over what you think --> Peter Hirsch
Posted Image

#38 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 12:05 PM

someday your dreams will come true, so thay might as well be BIG ONES! --> Robert Kiyosaki
Posted Image

#39 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 03:32 AM

Sulking about your mistakes only leads to future ones --> Bill Rancic
Posted Image

#40 abi

abi

Formerly known as ajoauk

• PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Dancing, the paranormal and being scared

Posted 05 March 2005 - 04:26 AM

"Reach for the moon. even if you miss, you'll land in the stars.
Philosophers have only interpreted the the world as they see it- but the point is to change it. Karl MarxSceptics and belieers always disagree, Always try and change what the other believesYou have your views and I have mineThere's nothing we can do it's a fact of lifeIt's what makes the world go round,But it stops proof from being found - Abi

#41 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 02:16 PM

When choosing places at the table, important people doesnt care, and the people who care are not important - English Proverb
Posted Image

#42 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 06 March 2005 - 03:36 PM

You are the master of your own destiny!
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#43 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 06 March 2005 - 03:40 PM

Some funny ones?

Where there's a will, there's a dead guy!

Behind every successful man stands a shocked mother-in-law!

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer!

Laugh and the world laughs with you, fart and you stand alone!

A waist is a terrible thing to mind!
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#44 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 01:37 AM

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst
into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be
thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit --> Albert Schweitzer
Posted Image