• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 07:03 PM

I love lighthouses so I thought I'd start this thread and then add to it when I find other haunted lighthouses!

Lighthouses have such a history that it makes sense to me that spirits/imprints would remain.

Located in Crescent City, California, Battery Point Lighthouse has both an interesting history and spirit activity!

Posted Image

Established in 1865 and automated in 1953, Battery Point Lighthouse is a small lighthouse. The tower eminates from the center of the home, rather than standing alone. It stands only 45 feet high. It has withstood both a tidal wave in 1964 and a horrendous storm in 1879. The lighthouse is inaccessible during high tide, so if you want to visit, you have to time your visit perfectly.

There is a plaque dedicated to all the sailors who have lost their lives in the very rough seas surrounding the area. The Maritime Museum is open to visitors.

For years, Nadine and Jerry Tugel cared for the lighthouse, the museum, and the surrounding property.

They say that, at times, the rocking chair begins to move by itself and that often the movement is accompanied by the smell of pipe tobacco. Often, a presence is felt, and the sound of footsteps wandering throughout the house are heard. Footsteps are also heard walking up and down the stairs to the tower during storms. Several visitors to the lighthouse mention that they feel hands resting on them. Items mysteriously disappear, and then reappear. The Tugel's cats are disturbed by things only they can see because when the Tugels investigate their cat's cries, they see nothing at all.

Organ music is heard during the night.

Many people say that they feel there is more than one spirit at Battery Point Lighthouse. Voices engaged in conversation have been heard, although the words can't be discerned.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#2 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:23 PM

WOW that looks like a haunted lighthouse I just love that pic thanks for posting it

#3 cathylj73

cathylj73

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts
  • Interests:Animals, paranormal, Kids

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:25 AM

Here is a good site with a lot of haunted light houses on it. One was featured on TV not that long ago the TAPS team went out and looked at it. They had a chair fly across the room.
Enjoy
Cathy
http://www.angelfire...ghthouses2.html
Posted ImagePosted Image(facebook) cathyld73@yahoo.com

#4 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 05:17 PM

Thanks, Cathy!

Ceaser, I love the pic too. I had shots of it from all different angles, but this one reminded me of the path from the Bates Motel to the main house...Remember?

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#5 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:33 PM

Here is a good site with a lot of haunted light houses on it. One was featured on TV not that long ago the TAPS team went out and looked at it. They had a chair fly across the room.
Enjoy
Cathy
http://www.angelfire...ghthouses2.html

FYI, the TAPS team's chair only moved several inches. They did catch it on video. I was convinced. I think that lighthouse was Red Rock Island.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#6 cathylj73

cathylj73

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts
  • Interests:Animals, paranormal, Kids

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:42 PM

Thanks about the chair I was unsure but from what I seen it went sideways and slid. Hope you like the web site.
Cathy
Posted ImagePosted Image(facebook) cathyld73@yahoo.com

#7 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Lighthouses, Suprnatural, Photography, Cemeteries, Abandon Buildings (especially Hospitals, or Insane Asylums), learning new things...

Posted 12 January 2005 - 10:52 AM

This is two of my very favorite subjects in the whole world. There are actulally several very good books on Hauntd Lighthouses. One of my favorites is Haunted Lighthouses and how to find them. By George C. Steitz. It is published by the Pineapple Press. The authur has done several documentries on Haunted Lighthousesand has a web site, www.hauntedlighthouses.com :D
Life, you gotta love it, the humor of it all! After all, isn't that what life is, one big joke???Dodie

#8 munbby

munbby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 02:34 PM

I have always had a facination for lighthouses. Especially the haunted kind. I hope to be able to head out east to check out some of the better ones.

#9 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Lighthouses, Suprnatural, Photography, Cemeteries, Abandon Buildings (especially Hospitals, or Insane Asylums), learning new things...

Posted 13 January 2005 - 05:36 AM

One of my very Favorites is Bakers Island Lighthouse in Salem Harbor. The whole isalnd is suppose to be haunted but the lighthouse has it's own stories to tell. There is only one lighthouse on the island at present but origianally there had been two, a smaller one at the other end of the island and the larger one that still stands and is working. Ships kept mistaking Bakers Island for <_< (I believe) Twin Lights In Gloucester so the smaller light was decomissioned and then torn down. Bakers Island is a privately owned island with summer residents, I do not belive there is any electric, or gas out there still to this day. The lighthouse itself is solar powered and so I am just assumming that some of the houses may do the same, but there are alot of stoties of hauntings on the island and in the lighthouse itself.

The other that I love is Nubble Lighthouse in York, Maine. I believe Nubble Lighthouse is one of the most photographed and visited in New England. It's the only one (I believe in the US) with a red oil house. It was painted white at one point and the people who visited it and photographed it, along with the town people of York, complained so much because RED was it's trde mark that it was painted red again and is still red to this day.

I actually don't think I have ever heard of a lighthouse that wasn't haunted. B) There are as many stories as there are reasons why they are haunted. They were isolated, lonley places. Many times the events that took place in these homes were horrifing. The people who took these job took them very seriosly and loved the lighthouses. All resons that spirits stay behind when a life ends, so why shouldn't they be haunted? <_<
Life, you gotta love it, the humor of it all! After all, isn't that what life is, one big joke???Dodie

#10 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,353 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 13 January 2005 - 01:03 PM

U r specializing in Light Houses, eh? :lol: but the snaps are sure fantastic.
Posted Image

#11 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 11:37 AM

And you didn't know Lighthouses were on the top of my list! :D

#12 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 15 January 2005 - 10:46 PM

I am most intrigued by the Presque Isle lighthouse in Michigan, mostly because I'm a relocated Michigander!
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#13 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 07:51 AM

Is there anything perticular about that one lighthouse that holds your attenion? Both the ones I love are the same type structurs, and on islandes, although Backers island does have summer residents. Both have very haunted histories, and both are absolutly beautiful to photgraph.

#14 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,353 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 16 January 2005 - 07:58 AM

All right, but what makes a light house haunted? What kinda history? Is it related with bad weather? Battles? Ship wrecks?
Posted Image

#15 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 08:46 AM

Most lighthouse that are haunted due to the loss of life in the lighthouse itself. Many times people got sick, fell from the lighthose, ( there were chores that were carried out many times a day, going up and down those stairs, repeatedly, many falls took place). Falls while painting the lighthouses were common, and deaths while construction was going on occured was quite common. Murder and insanity was common too. There is also the therory that most lighthouse keepers were so dedicated to there job and home that when they did die they came back to the place they loved and took care of, for most of them, most of their lives.

Then you also have the ship wrecks and abandonedment therory, people who just abandoned sick, or challenged, people on isolated ends of the island to fend for themselves or die. Sometimes found by the lighthouse keeper sometimes not. Thet would haunt the island or lighthouse, wondering after death not yet knowing they were dead.

There are actually alot of reasons and therories. I hope this gave you at least an idea as to maybe why this could happen. Many of the lighthouses in the US are on islands and therefore were not easy to get to and people went weeks and months without contact with the outside world. Sometimes a lighthouse keeper would die and his wife would have to take over his duties until a ship would see the distress flag and report it so someone could come and help. It wasn't a romantic life, it was alot of hard work, alot of hardship, but they believed in what they were doing, and they did it to the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users