Haunted Lighthouses

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 16 January 2005 - 02:35 PM

Here's some info! Presque Isle Lighthouse in Presque Isle, MI. There is a Presque Isle lighthouse in Erie, PA also but the MI house is named for the town. I will see if I can find more paranormal info on it. I have heard stories about furniture moving while visitors walked through the lighthouse museum in the main building.

*edit*

Here's something I found about the haunted history of the Preque Isle, Michigan light.

Said to be haunted by the ghost of George Parris, the former lighthouse keeper. The lighthouse is now abandoned, yet an amber light is occasionally seen still flashing from the tower. George and Lorraine Parris moved into the small house attached to the lighthouse in 1977, where they looked after the grounds and provided tours to vacationers. The lighthouse was actually taken out of service in 1870, but it wasn't until 1979 that George and the Coast Guard removed the wiring. Yet after George died in 1991, the mystery light began to appear. "I knew right away that it was George," said his widow, who continued the caretaker duties alone. "He used to cook breakfast for me in the morning. Bacon and eggs. There were many mornings when I'd wake up to the smell of breakfast, but naturally no one was there. I knew that it was him." According to one story, a little girl touring the lighthouse with her family had climbed to the top of the tower and returned giggling. When asked who she had been talking to up there, she said, "To the man in the tower." She later identified the man as George Parris from a portrait of him in the cottage.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#17 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Lighthouses, Suprnatural, Photography, Cemeteries, Abandon Buildings (especially Hospitals, or Insane Asylums), learning new things...

Posted 16 January 2005 - 03:17 PM

Awsome info. Thank you. I have read and seen the story on this before. Again this is one of a keeper who loved the place. I do believe they said it was suppose to have been proven to have been reflection from town lights or something that was making the mystery light, but that didn't explain anything else that was happening there. In fact why they were investergating there were some odd things happening. The door (to the lighthouse) locked from the inside when it was suppose to be unlucked, there was a shadow on the stairs, when the person who got into the lighthouse to unlock the door was in there alone. Also a lock that was bent the wrong way in an unhuman way. I don't remember what show it was on. It was one that either proves or disproves these kinds of things and they said this could not be proven or disproven because there were facts for both sides.
Life, you gotta love it, the humor of it all! After all, isn't that what life is, one big joke???Dodie

#18 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 16 January 2005 - 04:11 PM

The lighthouse was relecting the harbor lights. Proof Positive was the show, I think! It has been featured on Travel Channel's Haunted Lighthouses segment. I think it was even featured on Scariest Places on Earth.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#19 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Lighthouses, Suprnatural, Photography, Cemeteries, Abandon Buildings (especially Hospitals, or Insane Asylums), learning new things...

Posted 17 January 2005 - 08:15 AM

So you saw it too, what do you think of all the stuff that seem to happen there? Can you visit it and if so have you? I know many of the locals still believe it is haunted and with the many things I have read and seen I can't say I totally disagree with them. I would love to hear from someone who has actually been there themself to get their reaction though. It really is a beautiful Lighthouse. :)
Life, you gotta love it, the humor of it all! After all, isn't that what life is, one big joke???Dodie

#20 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 06:23 PM

So you saw it too, what do you think of all the stuff that seem to happen there? Can you visit it and if so have you? I know many of the locals still believe it is haunted and with the many things I have read and seen I can't say I totally disagree with them. I would love to hear from someone who has actually been there themself to get their reaction though. It really is a beautiful Lighthouse. :lol:

I'm afraid I'm too far away now. I live in Arizona.

#21 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 02:10 PM

It's too bad you didn't get the chance to visit it when you wee there. I hear it's quite an experiance. As much as I love them I've never been on the inside of one. It's my goal this summer during the open house of Hospital Point Lighthouse in Beverly Ma. to actully get into one this year.

#22 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:15 PM

It's too bad you didn't get the chance to visit it when you wee there. I hear it's quite an experiance. As much as I love them I've never been on the inside of one. It's my goal this summer during the open house of Hospital Point Lighthouse in Beverly Ma. to actully get into one this year.

Oh I'll eventually make my way back to Michigan. After I retire I want to do some serious travelling.

#23 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:50 AM

Any other haunted Lighthouses you'de like to visit, or be interested in seeing?

#24 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 05:34 PM

I am most fascinated by island lights. They are the most difficult to reach and often are most haunted because of their remote locations.

#25 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 01:12 AM

I agree with you, I love the island lighthouses, they have the best stories and are beautiful. Both my favorites are island lighthouses. I do think most times you find the island as well as the lighthouse is haunted though, and that to me just makes it all the more interesting.

#26 mycall

mycall

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal,cooking,nature,

Posted 26 January 2005 - 10:21 AM

I would like to add that the preseque light above is the old light house.. there is the new one a short distance away that is also reported to be haunted
oh give me strength,or another case of scotch!!

#27 mycall

mycall

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 01:00 PM

the new presique light house is haunted by an old keepers wife. she was reported to have gone mad from the seclusion and lonliness. the keeper eventually found it fit to seal her in a tunnel under the light house. the exact reason is unknown. story tells that the womans wedding ring was taken up toward the top during repair and is set into the stone walls. its reported that when the wind is right her blood curdling screams are still heard today.

#28 mycall

mycall

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 01:15 PM

BIG BAY LIGHT HOUSE
The house is reportedly haunted by several ghosts. the activity includes strange banging sounds, and an image of a man in an old keepers uniform. one keeper william priar had hung himself in the woods behind the light.and was found on sept,24 1901.
another sighting by a clairvoint was of a woman who stated she was mad that people didnt know she was there. she didn't know how she came to die. rather it was in the light house or maybe in a wreck on the lake..

#29 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 02:35 PM

Awsome Mycall, Thank You!

#30 The Ghost Lady

The Ghost Lady

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 12:15 AM

Here is a good site with a lot of haunted light houses on it. One was featured on TV not that long ago the TAPS team went out and looked at it. They had a chair fly across the room.
Enjoy
Cathy
http://www.angelfire...ghthouses2.html

FYI, the TAPS team's chair only moved several inches. They did catch it on video. I was convinced. I think that lighthouse was Red Rock Island.

Ooo a thread about lighthouses!! I love lighthouses....I'm a card carrying Lighthouse Society of America member! LMAO!

The lighthouse on Ghost Hunters where the chair moved several minutes after Grant left the room was Race Rock and its located in New York, not New London, CT like they say on the show. It's misleading because it is actually situated kinda near 2 of the lighthouses in New London, but technically, its NY. http://www.cr.nps.go...ht/racerock.htm

-The Ghost Lady Whirly Dude

Edited by The Ghost Lady, 18 February 2006 - 12:19 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users